Thread: From my Grandfather, to my Dad, and now to me

vCash

From my Grandfather, to my Dad, and now to me

Just wanted to share this with you all.... story to follow.

I wish I could make the photo larger for detail. But the true story behind what this is, is this: My grandfather was an Army officer in WWII. He served under General MacArthur in the intelligence community. He was there during the Philippines Campaign in 1944-1945. He was there surveying damage and gathering intelligence, etc. A Japanese command post had been either bombed or been a target of artillery, I'm not sure. Where in the Philippines this was I'm not sure of either. I think in Leyte. In one of the buildings that had been destroyed was the office of a Japanese general. He had a large 6-leg table in his office that had been destroyed. The one leg of the table that was still completely intact was the one pictured. My grandfather asked a Filipino Lt. to cut the leg off the table and bring it to him. My grandfather knew exactly why he wanted it. All 6 legs of the table had been carved in the same fashion of the same dog but were heavily damaged. Some time later, the Lt. showed up back to my grandfather, handed him the leg of the table and said in Tagalog "buldog". It's carved from solid mahogany, as was made the entire table. My grandfather attended State from 1936-1938 and then moved on to and graduated from Millsaps College in 1940. He kept it until his death in 2009, gave it to my Dad, and my Dad just gave it to me this past weekend. The passion and history of this school runs so deep. I'm proud to have it and wanted to share it with y'all. Hail State.

-Fixed the image to make it larger. Hail State. Love the story - Scooba
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 06-14-2018 at 02:33 PM.

vCash
    That's awesome, SaintDawg. I love items like this for their uniqueness and yours even has family history tied to it. Super cool!!!

vCash
    That?s awesome. Better put that thing in a fire safe. I know you?d be sick if it were damaged. I?ll give you $20 for it!

vCash
    Great story!

vCash
    Outstanding!!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Awesome!!

vCash
    Incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    That's awesome for sure...I'm betting butch's father is glad all he was trying to pass on to his son was just a watch compared to that

Banned
    vCash
    Damn Saint Dog. Just Damn.

vCash
    That’s bad ass. My grandfather and father also graduated from State. Hence the handle I chose.

vCash
    Very nice. Lots of history there and also some nice carving. I was thinking walnut, but mahogony makes more sense in the Phillipines. Or maybe it originally came from Japan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Very nice. Lots of history there and also some nice carving. I was thinking walnut, but mahogony makes more sense in the Phillipines. Or maybe it originally came from Japan?
    Im unaware of the source of the wood. I just know it's mahogany. From what I understand, most prized mahogany comes from Central or South America. I
    don't know if the tree grows in Asia or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    Im unaware of the source of the wood. I just know it's mahogany. From what I understand, most prized mahogany comes from Central or South America. I
    don't know if the tree grows in Asia or not.
    I don't know either, but I'd guess not. Japan is at about the same latitude as us, so it'd most likely be too cold. According to some sites from googling, there's something called "Phillipine mahogany" that's grown in Indonesia and the Phillipines, but it's not the real thing. So you're no doubt right that your wood is from Central or South America.

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    That's awesome for sure...I'm betting butch's father is glad all he was trying to pass on to his son was just a watch compared to that
    "So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you."

vCash
    -Fixed the image to make it larger. Hail State. Love the story - Scooba

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    WOW this is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
    No Signature

vCash
    Thanks Scooba!

vCash
    Great story. Bad lookin Dawg.

vCash
    very very cool Saint - love the story behind it
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.