Thread: RPI up to 26

vCash

RPI up to 26

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned in another thread yet.

vCash

We moved up 8 spots after the first win but only one after the second and didn't move

up at all after the last win. I would've thought we'd been easily inside the top 25 after sweeping UF.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    up at all after the last win. I would've thought we'd been easily inside the top 25 after sweeping UF.
    Yeah I don't think anybody knows how rpi works. It makes no sense. Hell, even Ben McDonald said our rpi would likely move to close to 20 after Game 2....but it moved from 27 to 26, and like you said didn't move at all after sweeping. You sweep the #1 team & rpi doesn't shift after the 2nd & 3rd Win? It's a garbage metric in my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yeah I don't think anybody knows how rpi works. It makes no sense. Hell, even Ben McDonald said our rpi would likely move to close to 20 after Game 2....but it moved from 27 to 26, and like you said didn't move at all after sweeping. You sweep the #1 team & rpi doesn't shift after the 2nd & 3rd Win? It's a garbage metric in my opinion
    Agree. The people that run RPI don't even know how it works LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    It's laughable. And for it to be such a major qualifier in baseball & basketball is criminal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Someone that?s way more into RPI than me will probably come and explain it a lot better, but RPI is essentially a formula that gives you a numerical value of worth. The team with the highest value is #1, lowest is last. Coming into this weekend we were bunched up with a lot of other teams with about the same value, the first win separated us from that clump of teams (large RPI jump), but apparently there was a pretty large gap between the us and the 25th team, hence only going up 1 spot after 2 major RPI wins

ETA: I actually think the formula for calculating it is **relatively** straightforward, plenty of people can give you a rough estimation of where RPI will be after a win or loss before the game occurs and/or keep their own spreadsheets using their own tweaked formulas
    Last edited by WeWonItAll(Most); 05-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Someone that?s way more into RPI than me will probably come and explain it a lot better, but RPI is essentially a formula that gives you a numerical value of worth. The team with the highest value is #1, lowest is last. Coming into this weekend we were bunched up with a lot of other teams with about the same value, the first win separated us from that clump of teams (large RPI jump), but apparently there was a pretty large gap between the us and the 25th team, hence only going up 1 spot after 2 major RPI wins

ETA: I actually think the formula for calculating it is **relatively** straightforward, plenty of people can give you a rough estimation of where RPI will be after a win or loss before the game occurs and/or keep their own spreadsheets using their own tweaked formulas
    This is the correct assessment here. One win this late in the season shouldn't be moving us 8 spots unless we are very close to the other teams. There was a huge gap between 25 and 26 and even 3 wins against UF couldn't over come that.

Once tournament games start happening there will be additional movement. If we win Tuesday I would think that might get us into the Top 25. We also need those borderline Group 1 teams to go far in their tournament. Houston (48), Sam Houston State (52), and Louisiana (54) are all right on the cusp of the Top 50 line. Getting all 3 of those in would help the RPI. Also, a team like New Mexico State (104) getting inside the Top 100 would get us 2 additional Group 2 wins.

So there's a lot to happen, but if we win a few and some of our better opponents that we beat play well in their conference tournaments, we should crack the RPI Top 25 and could crack the Top 20. SEC teams like TAMU (20) and UK (25) could easily lose to Vandy and Auburn respectively and give us the chance to jump them.

ETA: Here's a current RPI example: our RPI is currently .5734. Louisville, who is one spot behind us, is .0047 behind us. Tennessee Tech, who is 5 spots in front of us, is only .0043 away from us. So we've distanced ourselves from the folks behind us and put ourselves on the back end of another jumbled RPI group in front of us.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 05-20-2018 at 08:37 PM.

vCash
    Well, you have to think about the fact that between Saturday and Sunday, every single game played by anybody we have played, as well as any game played by anybody that played somebody we played, impacts our RPI. It'd be interesting to see somebody calculate the difference between the best possible RPI and worst possible RPI after Saturday's game by picking the results in games after Friday (in other words, ignore what actually happened and just plug in results for every other relevant game in a way that gives the best and worst RPI for MSU) and figure out how much opponents play can move the RPI this late in the season.

I mean, certainly not interesting enough to be worth the effort, unless somebody wanted to make a program that will optimize for a selected team, and then use it going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Just in case it hasn't been mentioned in another thread yet.
    I likely don't want to know the answer to this, but I can't help but wonder if winning any 3 of our "group 5" losses (i.e. teams with RPIs between 151-297) would have us in hosting contention headed into Hoover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by graddawg View Post
    I likely don't want to know the answer to this, but I can't help but wonder if winning any 3 of our "group 5" losses (i.e. teams with RPIs between 151-297) would have us in hosting contention headed into Hoover.
    No. We are a borderline 2/3 seed right now. Win all 3 of those plus 3-4 more then maybe. But even winning all three of those we are still probably a solid 2 instead of on the borderline.