Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That loss is on Howland

vCash

That loss is on Howland

I ended up going to Oxford for the game. We are a much better team than them, we are very physical and get after it. We should have won by 20 but free throws and Howland not having us prepared to face the zone is what cost us that game. This loss will come back to haunt us. Comepletely killed momentum and should have never happened. I really don?t know what to think about Howland anymore. Head scratching decisions.

vCash
    One or two of those 3s go down and hit a few free throws and nobody would complain. Howland didn't coach a perfect game but he was kicking their ass for most of it. He had us ready to play. The coach can't make the shots go in. I mean, his job is to put them in a position to have success but then it's up to the players to execute. We had several open shots that just didn't go in. If they did, we'd all be pumping Howland sunshine right now. Im loving our defense right now and that is directly attributed to the coach.

vCash
    I agree we came to play and we will be a solid team this year but we lost because he didn?t have us ready to play against a zone. That?s when the game changed and we had zero clue how to attack it. Other than that we played great. It sucks because of that zone we went from what should have been a 15 point win on the road to a 6 point loss to a terrible terrible team.

vCash
    I’m not down on Howland either except for that zone. Also feel like the team plays like Howland coaches. I don’t see the intensity. Maybe it’s just me. Other than that, the players got to put the ball in the hole. Period.

vCash
    I put it on Howland, too. When you?ve shown all season that you can shoot your way out of a wet paper bag, but you refuse to put a boot in an ass when your guys repeatedly jack up threes feet behind the line - that?s on the coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    I put it on Howland, too. When you?ve shown all season that you can shoot your way out of a wet paper bag, but you refuse to put a boot in an ass when your guys repeatedly jack up threes feet behind the line - that?s on the coach.
    Amen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    You know I don’t mind our “shooters” taking good open looks. Eventually they have to get out of their funk(and it’s a bad funk). It’s the stupid contested three, early in the shot clock stuff that drives me nuts. Now that stuff would put a player on the bench for me.

vCash
    Why do you have Lamar Peters in middle of zone instead of Q or Holman?

vCash
    No one knows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Why do you have Lamar Peters in middle of zone instead of Q or Holman?
    Not a good look there for Howland. Figured Holman would have been the guy for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    I agree we came to play and we will be a solid team this year but we lost because he didn?t have us ready to play against a zone. That?s when the game changed and we had zero clue how to attack it. Other than that we played great. It sucks because of that zone we went from what should have been a 15 point win on the road to a 6 point loss to a terrible terrible team.
    Yep, didn't have much of a clue how to attack the 1-3-1. OM erased a 13 point lead and later an 11 point lead by switching to the zone. Floating high perimeter passes was all we knew to do with it.

vCash
    Once they went back to the extended zone in the second half, we were done.

The players looked lost and Howland had no answer.

vCash
    To be fair, I do not think howland has a clue on how to run offense vs any defense. He can teach defense and recruit with the best of them though

vCash
    Howland will not succeed at MSU. He will leave us having never made the NCAA tournament.

vCash
    I think everyone needs to calm down. Just about every road team lost today. And this team is young with not enough leadership -- best days are still ahead of this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    Howland will not succeed at MSU. He will leave us having never made the NCAA tournament.
    This is just asinine. Please stop posting about our basketball team. You know nothing and contribute nothing but negative vitriol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    To be fair, I do not think howland has a clue on how to run offense vs any defense. He can teach defense and recruit with the best of them though
    Coach Howland is a good coach and elite recruiter. Players have to make plays. The game changed when Ado got in foul trouble and OM was able to penetrate and get to the line. That was exasperated by our 0-13 3pt shooting in the second half and 9-17 freethrow shooting. Shit happens on the road and the calls we got on Tuesday we didn’t get in Oxford. We had 22+ fouls in that game today had 12 on Tuesday. With that said, we were in position to win that game. Just have to make shots when you need to and we didn’t in the second half. Can’t have your best player play like Q did and expect to win on the road. That’s not Coaching. That’s on the players.

vCash
    So for the optimist, what are expectations for this team? NCAA tournament? Nit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    This is an NIT team that’s a couple of quality wins away from the tournament. We outplayed Ole Miss for 35 minutes of that game. We didn’t lose to Ole Miss in Starkville and road wins will be at a premium this year. In the grand scheme of things, that loss won’t hurt us. Just gotta keep playing hard and make shooting and freethrow shooting a priority in practice. Next game up is Florida. Things turnaround real quick if we manage to upset them on the road. Have to play better then we did today to win that game though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    They will be talking about how good we will be next year.