Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch Paterno?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Anyone watch Paterno?

Now, with a docudrama like this, you have to take a lot of the facts with a grain of salt, but if Paterno knew in 1976 about Sandusky... that dude might as well been holding kids down for him and introducing him to new kids through the years.

Sick 17.
    And to think, he used to talk crap about Sherrill. What a joke and I am glad his legacy has been destroyed.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Also, Pacino did a heck of a job. From the first scene he nailed it.
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Channel?

Banned
    vCash
    Pacino was the perfect pick to play paterno. I was surprised at how good it was. It left me with a lot of questions though. How much Did Joe Pa really know?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Channel?
    HBO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Pacino was the perfect pick to play paterno. I was surprised at how good it was. It left me with a lot of questions though. How much Did Joe Pa really know?
    I have a feeling that he knew enough. My question is if he knew why take a chance on that guy? If there were rumors and allegations about Bill Bellichick abusing children I wouldn't hire him if I was a head coach.

vCash
    No idea about how much he knew, or when he knew. Either way he never reported it to the police when he did know. Also he allowed Sandusky to remain in contact with young people, on campus none the less.

Now the movie is pretty much a giant fabrication and conjecture Inam sure. But it wouldn't surprise me if universities put themselves first in similar situations. Too much money and influence.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I get furious everytime I'm reminded of this horrific story. That entire athletic department should have been nuked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    I get furious everytime I'm reminded of this horrific story. That entire athletic department should have been nuked.
    Same. He knew and so did others. If you followed this story more than just what ESPN was showing, you pretty much already knew that. This wasn't just a situation of a couple of kids getting molested as bad as that is, this was way worse. Sandusky was using Penn St. and charities to help facilitate a little boy sex ring.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Paterno was not a monster.

He reported the 2001 incident to his superiors, one of which who was the head of the university police department. Also, he never actually witnessed the incident. It was a second hand report from 30 year old grad assistant Mike McQuery. Why didn't McQuery just go to the police himself ? Also, If there was a massive decades long cover up, why would Paterno report the incident at all ?

The real criminals were obviously Jerry Sandusky, and the 3 Penn State officials who covered up the report.

Also, the NCAA had no jurisdiction in this case. They saw an opportunity for a money grab and they took it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

He reported the 2001 incident to his superiors, one of which who was the head of the university police department. Also, he never actually witnessed the incident. It was a second hand report from 30 year old grad assistant Mike McQuery. Why didn't McQuery just go to the police himself ? Also, If there was a massive decades long cover up, why would Paterno report the incident at all ?

The real criminals were obviously Jerry Sandusky, and the 3 Penn State officials who covered up the report.

Also, the NCAA had no jurisdiction in this case. They saw an opportunity for a money grab and they took it.
    But didn't Mike walk in on the actual hardcore act happening? I don't know about anyone else but I would have went to jail after braining Sandusky with whatever heavy object I could have picked up. Considering he didn't do this, I would at least hope he went to Paterno and told him immediately. At that point, if he wasn't very emotional telling him then I would be worried. Paterno would have to know there was some type of truth to what he was saying. At the very least, he should have asked around especially since Sandusky was essentially using his link to PSU football to get the kids. He either knew about it or just didn't want to believe his friend was capable of it. It is kind of like something happening and everyone is saying well he was always just quiet and I didn't think anything like that would happen.

vCash
    I watched it. It was an OK movie, but I was pretty underwhelmed with Pacino, tbh....which makes me sad, because his last several films have felt he's just going through the motions for a paycheck (a common phenomenon in a lot of actors, I know). I don't think he's played a good role since Oceans 13. He is playing Jimmy Hoffa in Scorsese's new gangster film "The Irishman", which will also star De Niro and Joe Pesci, so I have high hopes for him there...

Something that did stand out to me, though, was the guy they got to play Sandusky....that ****er looks just like him. That's got to be weird...

vCash
    There was a guy on local radio in Jackson saying the whole thing was a conspiracy and Sandusky was innocent. Some lunatic guest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    But didn't Mike walk in on the actual hardcore act happening? I don't know about anyone else but I would have went to jail after braining Sandusky with whatever heavy object I could have picked up. Considering he didn't do this, I would at least hope he went to Paterno and told him immediately. At that point, if he wasn't very emotional telling him then I would be worried. Paterno would have to know there was some type of truth to what he was saying. At the very least, he should have asked around especially since Sandusky was essentially using his link to PSU football to get the kids. He either knew about it or just didn't want to believe his friend was capable of it. It is kind of like something happening and everyone is saying well he was always just quiet and I didn't think anything like that would happen.
    That's what I don't get. Why didn't he stop it if he walked in on it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

You’re part about Paterno is incorrect. During an interview with Pennsylvania police about his reporting of the 2001 incident he said it was the 2nd time and there have been documents saying he heard things as early as the 70s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    That's the part I don't get. How you could walk in on that and not beat the piss out of that old degenerate? smh

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    You’re part about Paterno is incorrect. During an interview with Pennsylvania police about his reporting of the 2001 incident he said it was the 2nd time and there have been documents saying he heard things as early as the 70s
    I disagree with you.

The only other incident that I am aware of that Paterno reportedly knew about was a 1998 complaint about Sandusky that State College police were involved with. Officers listened Sandusky and the child's mother from another room talk about the incident and made no arrests. I have never seen any evidence suggesting that Paterno knew about his behavior all the way back to the 70's.

I don't believe Paterno was a monster. I think he was old and na?ve and didn't completely understand the gravity of the situation as it was happening. He acted in a way that he thought was appropriate in the 2001 investigation by telling his superiors and trusted them to contact the proper authorities, and they failed to do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I watched it. It was an OK movie, but I was pretty underwhelmed with Pacino, tbh....which makes me sad, because his last several films have felt he's just going through the motions for a paycheck (a common phenomenon in a lot of actors, I know). I don't think he's played a good role since Oceans 13. He is playing Jimmy Hoffa in Scorsese's new gangster film "The Irishman", which will also star De Niro and Joe Pesci, so I have high hopes for him there...

Something that did stand out to me, though, was the guy they got to play Sandusky....that ****er looks just like him. That's got to be weird...
    The only time since 2011 that looking like Sandusky was a good thing. Might as well make a bag of money for not having a single line.
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    once Paterno got the message from Mike M, anyone with common sense should have known you just don't make shit up like that. you do MORE than just reporting it to your superiors if they refuse to act.

17 Mike M. too. he's a 17ing coward by not stopping the act when he saw it and not going to the police once he knew that 17 was still being allowed with the kids and nothing was being done.

btw, where's Mike M these days?