Thoughts from the scrimmage today

per Mic:

Russell is pretty sharp- he loves the TE's and Jameon
    Our TE's are pretty ****ing good
    Morrow running 2nd team and still struggling
    Autry is abusing our OT's
    Holloway can absolutely freakin fly
    Chris Hughes is making really hard to keep him off the field
    B. Brown getting 1st team reps at LB to see how he responds- and he responded with a Pick-6
    Redmond looks like he may be our other CB- hawking out there
    Quay is either not practicing or has literally done nothing to gain any attention

vCash
    and then out of nowhere Morrow redeems himself with a great route and catch for a big play TD

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Is Quay Evans the next Templeton Hardy?

vCash
    No think its too early to say that. Maybe the light will turn on soon enough. I for one am absolutely pumped about our tight ends. If Mullen can't figure out a scheme to get the ball to them quite often I will be sorely disappointed

vCash
    Market getting some 1st group reps
    Kicking game looks like shit- missing FG's

vCash
    Redmond, other CB opposite Cox or Love? Hope Love is our nickel corner....
    Our OTs are being abused by Autry but is that due to him being a monster or are Clausell, Siddoway/Robinson just not going to get the job done against big time SEC teams?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Our OTs are being abused by Autry but is that due to him being a monster or are Clausell, Siddoway/Robinson just not going to get the job done against big time SEC teams?

Yes

vCash
    we mix and match alot on Defense or we did today at least..
    I may be in the minority on C Hughes but I like that cat.. very fast and just looks like he has a nose for the game
    we ran alot of nickle today. Just my opinion but maybe because we had no RB today or we are doing a little preping for the Pokies
    Lot of guys didnt see action while i watched. Some being held out and not in full uni but Quay was in full uni and I didnt see him on the field once.
    and we ran a lot and I mean a lot of double TE sets.. sometime we would go 3 wide with a TE inside and one in slot.. Usually was Gus and Malcom

vCash
    Another thing I noticed, Nick James is gonna be fun to watch if he can stay out of the dog house.

vCash
    Yeah.. he will def play off emotion. If he makes a big play he may come back very next play and make a bigger one.. But I still dont trust him or Quay right now.. Maybe they are game day players and not practice players..

vCash
    What's the impression so far on Nickoe does he look like he may be back to old form or still looking lost at times?

vCash
    I think the problem last year with Nickoe was coaching schemes and him still not being 100%.. he looked back like the old Nickoe of the past at the Gator Bowl.. Just so happened Collins was calling the Def that game.

vCash
    Good point hope you are right. Would be nice to see a 100% Nickoe bustin heads his senior year. Love a head hunter at safety

vCash
    our defense will be talented this year but inexperienced early. Tyler will have to carry the team early IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    . Tyler will have to carry the team early IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Market getting some 1st group reps
    Kicking game looks like shit- missing FG's
    Market is going to be a player. If nothing else, I see him being a badass on special teams this season.

And for the love of all things maroon, can Mullen PLEASE hire a ****ing special teams coach? That's the difference in winning and losing games for middle of the road programs like ours. JWS understood that, which is why he placed so much emphasis on having great STs. I understand Mullen thinks he's emphasizing it by naming himself ST coach, but we've looked like ass on STs for pretty much the entirety of 4 years. Leon Berry happened to be good enough to cover a bit of it up before he got injured, but it's been glaring the last 2 seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    our defense will be talented this year but inexperienced early. Tyler will have to carry the team early IMO.
    If that's the case, get ready for a losing season. I've got no faith in our O being able to outscore teams. The potential might be there, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Market is going to be a player. If nothing else, I see him being a badass on special teams this season.

And for the love of all things maroon, can Mullen PLEASE hire a ****ing special teams coach? That's the difference in winning and losing games for middle of the road programs like ours. JWS understood that, which is why he placed so much emphasis on having great STs. I understand Mullen thinks he's emphasizing it by naming himself ST coach, but we've looked like ass on STs for pretty much the entirety of 4 years. Leon Berry happened to be good enough to cover a bit of it up before he got injured, but it's been glaring the last 2 seasons.
    Maybe Mullen should send himself to a Special Teams coaching clinic.

vCash
    One can wish, MM.

vCash
    He's already taken a much less active role in special teams -- at least that's the word I heard when we hired Gonzo. He is supposed to be focusing alot more on helping with playcalling this year was the word early...