Thread: Who Was The Biggest Recruiting Miss This Year?

vCash

Who Was The Biggest Recruiting Miss This Year?

Who is the one player that you think MSU could/should have gotten that we didn't?

I don't know if he'll end up being a good player, but for me it's no doubt Cole Smith or Jerome Carvin.

Eddie Smith would be another, but I'm not sure how much you can consider him since, once Bama offered, it was over.

vCash
    Carvin without a doubt. We were the favorite for the majority of the time only to lose out in the end. Cole we were never in it, and Smith was always holding out for that Bama offer

vCash
    agree with your names, it clearly starts with the O-line: Cole Smith, Carvin, Bleich, Winkel, McDowell, and Robinson were all thought to be Bulldogs at one point. Then we may regret not taking Hamilton Hall.

Eddie Smith would have been a huge pickup for us and we lost Bishop to Arky. That's pretty much it.

vCash
    Really looking back on it I think Sampson was the biggest miss (his fault not our owns). If whatever his issues were, he got together and we could have signed an AA OL to go with $Bill that would have been huge. Then again we probably would have never been in on him if he didn't have whatever his issues were

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    Really looking back on it I think Sampson was the biggest miss (his fault not our owns). If whatever his issues were, he got together and we could have signed an AA OL to go with $Bill that would have been huge. Then again we probably would have never been in on him if he didn't have whatever his issues were

He would have probably signed with OM, if they hadn't parted ways with him. That really shocked me when OM dropped a 4* AA OL.

vCash
    Insert decently-rated OL prospect here ________________
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I made a list few weeks ago .
    Here it is again in order
    1. Carvin
    2. Eddie Smith
    3. Ladarrious Bishop
    4. Chris Bleich

vCash
    Other than the Hev factor in the past, why does MSU have problems getting OL to stay committed? I get losing a few, everyone does, but it is almost the expectation now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Other than the Hev factor in the past, why does MSU have problems getting OL to stay committed? I get losing a few, everyone does, but it is almost the expectation now.
    Because Hevesy was here 9 years. That level of suck in recruiting weighs heavily on a program. You can usually get a good OL but you can’t typically get 3-4 really good ones in the same class.

vCash
    I think most of it had to do with Hevesy even this year. All the ones we missed on were out of state guys.

I think it will improve starting next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think most of it had to do with Hevesy even this year. All the ones we missed on were out of state guys.

I think it will improve starting next year.
    But 3-4 of these guys were on the fence after Hev left, one even went to FL with Hev. If they liked State and it was Hev, IMO we should have gotten at least one more of them. Something is broken here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Who is the one player that you think MSU could/should have gotten that we didn't?

I don't know if he'll end up being a good player, but for me it's no doubt Cole Smith or Jerome Carvin.

Eddie Smith would be another, but I'm not sure how much you can consider him since, once Bama offered, it was over.
    Carvin, Winkle, McDowell with Carvin potentially being the biggest miss
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    But 3-4 of these guys were on the fence after Hev left, one even went to FL with Hev. If they liked State and it was Hev, IMO we should have gotten at least one more of them. Something is broken here.

Because they are out-of-state kids who did not grow up surrounded with a maroon and white peer group or families cheering for MSU. They were recruited initially by Mullen. So they didn't actually commit to the school. Therefore when Mullen left they started looking around. Coach JoeMo and Coach Johnson and other coaches had very little time to develop a relationship with them. Most kids now who don't grow up cheering for a school, or have some connections or ties normally choose a school because of the coaching relationship, player/recruit relationship, or some other relationship.

vCash
    For me it has to be Cole Smith. I mean come on, a legacy kid right down the road at our biggest position of need, that being interior OL, and we whiff? Still don't truly understand all the factors there other than the dislikability of Hev, but all the other OL we whiffed on were out of state kids with no reason to have any loyalty to MSU. Second to Smith for me was Bishop just because of our need at CB and he was probably the best one we had committed this year. I really wonder if we would have kept Bishop if we had retained TBuck from the very start. Bishop said from early on that TBuck was a major reason he committed to us. By the time TBuck was picked back up to remain on staff, Bishop had long since flipped and signed with Ark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    For me it has to be Cole Smith. I mean come on, a legacy kid right down the road at our biggest position of need, that being interior OL, and we whiff? Still don't truly understand all the factors there other than the dislikability of Hev, but all the other OL we whiffed on were out of state kids with no reason to have any loyalty to MSU. Second to Smith for me was Bishop just because of our need at CB and he was probably the best one we had committed this year. I really wonder if we would have kept Bishop if we had retained TBuck from the very start. Bishop said from early on that TBuck was a major reason he committed to us. By the time TBuck was picked back up to remain on staff, Bishop had long since flipped and signed with Ark.
    Cole Smith is a good player and would have been a good pick up but he also the most over rated player by Espn from the state of Mississippi