Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Thoughts

vCash

Super Bowl Thoughts

Yes, Joe Montana is still the GOAT.

It was awesome seeing Fletcher Cox all over the place and being talked about during the game. What a great representative for Mississippi State. I thought the Patriots did a good job on him though- but Cox did have that huge QB pressure late in the game on Brady which forced a fourth down and caused the Patriots to use a lot of clock.

Did anyone else besides me smile while watching the Eagles shred Bellicheck's defense with RPO's? I smiled not because I hate Bellicheck- but because I had visions of what our offense is going to be like next year. The Eagles also took a lot of deep shots too- and connected on a few. That also made me think about how our offense is going to look next year. It's going to be fun.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Stop reading after this. You're an idiot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    LOL ... you wound up now.

vCash

It was awesome seeing Fletcher Cox all over the place and being talked about during the game. What a great representative for Mississippi State. I thought the Patriots did a good job on him though- but Cox did have that huge QB pressure late in the game on Brady which forced a fourth down and caused the Patriots to use a lot of clock.

Did anyone else besides me smile while watching the Eagles shred Bellicheck's defense with RPO's? I smiled not because I hate Bellicheck- but because I had visions of what our offense is going to be like next year. The Eagles also took a lot of deep shots too- and connected on a few. That also made me think about how our offense is going to look next year. It's going to be fun.
    GREAT POST Todd!! +100

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    GREAT POST Todd!! +100
    Thank you!

And I almost forgot- by Foles winning this game I think it lessens Eli's legacy a hair.

vCash
    Thank you!

And I almost forgot- by Foles winning this game I think it lessens Eli's legacy a hair.
    I think you right since Eli didn't beat the GOAT.

vCash

Same here, 61

What the true GOAT has done in this era of parity is unrivaled.
    Last edited by Noxdog; 02-05-2018 at 12:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxdog View Post
    What the true GOAT has done in this era of parity is unrivaled.
    Brady is the best of this era.

Montana is the best of all time.

Banned
    vCash
    Montana is the best of all time.
    Did Montana win league MVP, take his team to the super bowl and throw for 505 yards at the age of 40? Remind me what was Montana doing at the age of 40 again??

vCash
    [QUOTE=Todd4State;881599]What a great representative for Yazoo City.

FIFY*

vCash
    Rules changes favorable to offense have created an era where QB's can play until 40 and put up video game numbers....holding has essentially been legalized, you can't breathe on a receiver after 5 yds and can't breathe on a QB, period. Brady is a great QB but saying he's the GOAT by comparing his numbers to guys who played 20, 30, 40 years ago is nonsense....totally different game now and I'd argue the game is lesser today.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by K9 Avenger View Post
    Rules changes favorable to offense have created an era where QB's can play until 40 and put up video game numbers....holding has essentially been legalized, you can't breathe on a receiver after 5 yds and can't breathe on a QB, period. Brady is a great QB but saying he's the GOAT by comparing his numbers to guys who played 20, 30, 40 years ago is nonsense....totally different game now and I'd argue the game is lesser today.
    Lot of truth to this but all the other QBs playing today get these advantages too and Brady is lapping the field over all of them over and over again. Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and on and on all play with these same rules Brady plays with and Brady is so far ahead of them all he's finished the race and is drinking whiskey on the patio while they are only on mile 8.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Cox played a good game, but with the constant double team he freed up his other guys all game.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Lot of truth to this but all the other QBs playing today get these advantages too and Brady is lapping the field over all of them over and over again. Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and on and on all play with these same rules Brady plays with and Brady is so far ahead of them all he's finished the race and is drinking whiskey on the patio while they are only on mile 8.
    No one is arguing that Brady isn't the best of this era. He is the best of this era. But he isn't the best of all time. I know one thing that Montana didn't do at age 40- and that's lose his third Super Bowl.

K9's point is the same as mine- you have to consider that both played in different eras. How would Montana do with today's rules? Likely a lot better. Especially with the rise of the RPO's- he would kill people if that was around in the 1980's. How would Brady do under the NFL rules of the 1980's? Probably not as well as he is now. He also wouldn't have the sophisticated diet and weight training program that he is using now. We just weren't that far along in the 1980's. I believe that Montana would have taken full advantage of that as a player had that been accessible and would have played longer had he had access to it.

Basically anyone that says that Brady is the GOAT is simply rewarding him for playing longer than Montana without regarding the actual play and skill on the field or the context of the era in which they played in. Whether they realize it or not. Through the same time span in their careers- through age 36- Montana had one more Super Bowl win and Brady was only 3-2 in the same span.

It's not any different than saying Jim Brown is the best running back of all time- I believe he is and a lot of people would probably agree with me. But I'm sure the stats would say otherwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Cox played a good game, but with the constant double team he freed up his other guys all game.
    Pro Football Focus gave him a score of 10 which is pretty good I think for being disruptive.

Banned
    vCash
    No one is arguing that Brady isn't the best of this era. He is the best of this era. But he isn't the best of all time. I know one thing that Montana didn't do at age 40- and that's lose his third Super Bowl.

K9's point is the same as mine- you have to consider that both played in different eras. How would Montana do with today's rules? Likely a lot better. Especially with the rise of the RPO's- he would kill people if that was around in the 1980's. How would Brady do under the NFL rules of the 1980's? Probably not as well as he is now. He also wouldn't have the sophisticated diet and weight training program that he is using now. We just weren't that far along in the 1980's. I believe that Montana would have taken full advantage of that as a player had that been accessible and would have played longer had he had access to it.

Basically anyone that says that Brady is the GOAT is simply rewarding him for playing longer than Montana without regarding the actual play and skill on the field or the context of the era in which they played in. Whether they realize it or not. Through the same time span in their careers- through age 36- Montana had one more Super Bowl win and Brady was only 3-2 in the same span.

It's not any different than saying Jim Brown is the best running back of all time- I believe he is and a lot of people would probably agree with me. But I'm sure the stats would say otherwise.
    You make lots of great point in this but when comparing whose the greatest of all time longevity has to be considered. You can't just throw out that Brady literally just won MVP 3 days ago at the age of 40 and he ain't retiring. Montana couldn't beat the Dolphins in the AFC playoffs at the age of 38 so he retired.

vCash
    Brady has been to twice the Super Bowls in his career as Montana

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Brady has been to twice the Super Bowls in his career as Montana
    He has also played about twice as long too.

Banned
    vCash
    He has also played about twice as long too.
    And that absolutely factors in when comparing who is the greatest QB of all time. It's a huge plus for Brady and it should be. Floyd Mayweather can last longer in a boxing ring than Conor McGregor. In the first 5 rounds McGregor is the better fighter but by round 9 Mayweather is clearly the better fighter. Same thing goes for Brady. Montana was fantastic till about the age of 35. Then he fell off a cliff. Brady just won league MVP at the age of 40. Ain't much of a debate between 40 year old Brady vs 40 year old been retired for 2 years Montana. Again we are debating who is the single best QB of all-time. Brady wins by a landslide. It isn't even a debate. Now if you want a debate that Montana can win you need to say who had the greatest 4 years collectively as a QB all-time. That is one that Montana wins over Brady. Not greatest ever full career.

vCash
    I'm sorry, but as much as I hate Brady, he's the GOAT. There's really no disputing it.