Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball team takes field

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I'll tip my hat to him for not quitting and coming back. We were so thin last season that he had to play a lot more than he should have. Cann had him bunting a lot just to have a chance to put the ball in play. He hit well early in the season, so there is some potential there. He just got in a real bad funk and we didn't have the luxury of playing someone else or trying to save him for match-ups that gave him some confidence.
    He is really fast so if he can put the ball in play then he might can make things happen. He also helps cover a lot of outfield so with him and Mangum that is a lot of hits that turn into outs.

vCash

Pitching

Small has been lights out in his sim games. No one can touch him. He's going to compete for a starting slot. Henderson has fine tuned some things per Canizzaro's comments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawg View Post
    Small has been lights out in his sim games. No one can touch him. He's going to compete for a starting slot. Henderson has fine tuned some things per Canizzaro's comments.
    If that's true that is a huge and very pleasant surprise. When he is healthy he could be a SEC ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Depth chart synopsis for those that don't like long posts.

Ace- Pilkington
    Sat- Billingsley
    Sun- France
    Midweek- Ashcraft/McQuary

Closer- Self
    Set-up- Price
    Set-up- Blake Smith
    Girodo/Lindgren role- Cole Gordon
    Girodo/Lindgren role- Leibelt
    Middle relief- Small
    LOOGY- Neff/Barlow

C- Skelton/Marshall Gilbert

1B- MacNamee
    2B- Stovall
    3B- Westburg
    SS- LA

LF- Tanner Allen
    CF- Mangum
    RF- Vansau/Poole
    DH- Poole/Vansau
    That's a very, very average lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawg View Post
    Having small back would be a game changing thing, but seems too good to be true. He was a fall TJ last year and he has only pitched 10 innings of college baseball and his numbers in those 10 innings weren't great.

Happy to eat crow, just saying

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Having small back would be a game changing thing, but seems too good to be true. He was a fall TJ last year and he has only pitched 10 innings of college baseball and his numbers in those 10 innings weren't great.

Happy to eat crow, just saying
    He also pitched in in the Cape with success. I believe and am looking forward to seeing all of the pitchers in Jackson.
    Last edited by NewDawg; 10-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    That's a very, very average lineup.
    Someone always says this every year. And the baseball team ends up having a respectable year and possibly goes to Omaha or a SR.

vCash
    Nice to finally be in a position where we aren't relying on a TJ guy to fill a weekend starter role. That should allow us to bring guys along at a good pace and ultimately build more depth.

And I agree with Todd about the bats. First off, I don't think that's a bad lineup....secondly, this will be the first full offseason Cann has had with these hitters, and there's a few freshmen that we don't even know how good they are but Cann raves about. I was a big fan of Macnamee, Vansau, and Stovall and their ability to use all fields....and of course we know Jake does too. That being said, I have a gut feeling that Vansau & Mac will have big years this year. I'm just excited about the energy & attitude AC brings, the recruiting, the new field, and the overall buzz with the baseball program. Should be a fun year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Someone always says this every year. And the baseball team ends up having a respectable year and possibly goes to Omaha or a SR.
    To be fair, we will win (and I do think we will have a good year) with our pitching being the strength. I think we will hit good enough

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    To be fair, we will win (and I do think we will have a good year) with our pitching being the strength. I think we will hit good enough
    I think that's fair. We have some veteran juniors who I think take a big step next year.