Thread: Ethics Commission fines...

vCash

Ethics Commission fines...

Starkville City Clerk for delaying release of public records.

Will they do the same to unm?

Link

vCash
    With only a $100 fine I'm sure everyone is clamoring to abide by the law.*

Has he CL ever filed an FOIA request to OM? Surely the Mississippi free press would want information "freed". If this became public it would be tangible proof that the CL has no interest in holding OM accountable to the taxpayers of Mississippi.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    The Packet News (Columbus, MS) might publish a story on the CL and their failure to produce true and correct news print concerning OM....

A few months ago, someone said the cost of the attorneys then was over 3.7 Million dollars... Wonder what it is now... Wasting our Tax payers money....

vCash
    As was pointed out, all documents we could find on the internet suggest that the fine from MEC is 100 bucks. Period. Not per day. I expect Ole Miss to just pay that and never worry about anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    As was pointed out, all documents we could find on the internet suggest that the fine from MEC is 100 bucks. Period. Not per day. I expect Ole Miss to just pay that and never worry about anything.
    If this is true, why release anything, ever?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    An excellent question. Seems like the MEC was set up to not really have any teeth whatsoever. Don't expect Ole Miss to comply with anything the MEC says.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

This just sets a precedent for other State agencies to follow, if they so desire. It's doubtful any will though.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 08-06-2017 at 10:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    An excellent question. Seems like the MEC was set up to not really have any teeth whatsoever. Don't expect Ole Miss to comply with anything the MEC says.

When the MS Public Records Act was enacted, the intent was that State agencies were here to serve the public and the records' needs of the general public, and not to try and circumvent the act (law). I agree. They do need to have stiffer penalties and fines in place. Maybe the Legislature will address this issue after what has transpired. Just makes our public records' law look like a joke to the rest of the country.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 08-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.

vCash
    Not going to try and dig up the post or the statute details, but I've read that if the offender fails to comply after being fined the MEC would go to court to compel scompliance. If they don't comply at that point they would be in contempt of court and subject to jail time and further fines. No idea how accurate that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    Not going to try and dig up the post or the statute details, but I've read that if the offender fails to comply after being fined the MEC would go to court to compel scompliance. If they don't comply at that point they would be in contempt of court and subject to jail time and further fines. No idea how accurate that is.
    I imagine OM would demonstrate exemplary cooperation*** before it reached the court process.