Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Quote on Mullen By Rival Coach

vCash

Interesting Quote on Mullen By Rival Coach

Anonymous

"They're kind of boring schematically when you really watch them and break them down. They don't do a whole lot that concerns you. Mullen does a good job. it's just not particularly creative. You'd play (Steve) Spurrier back in the day and he'd see something he'd like in the NFL on Sunday and you'd see it with him the following weekend. With Mullen, he kind of has his things he likes and that's what he does. There's no newness there."

I actually agree with this, &, if I were Mullen, I'd take it as an insult. All great coaches are constantly evolving, adding, adjusting, etc.... Mullen is a really good coach, but he can't be a great coach until he figures this out.

Mullen's base offense is excellent & gives us a chance to score points most Saturday's, but, as the quote says, Spurrier would see something in an NFL game on Sunday & implement by the next Saturday. Mullen can take some advice from that.

Again, this isn't about changing the offense each week or anything like that. It's about adding in a wrinkle each week that the other team hasn't quite prepared for.

What this coach is saying is that, MSU is solid, but when they prepare for MSU, MSU gives them exactly what they prepared for in the game.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 08-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.

vCash
    Holloway up the middle wasn't working.

vCash
    Bet that was Saban.

vCash
    My thoughts exactly, Starkvegas.

vCash
    Mullen calls a game like I did on PlayStation.

vCash
    It isn't like MDL to give a quote like that about another coach (anonymous or otherwise)...

however, the mention of Spurrier, the NFL and the extrapolated time frame makes me ponder...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I'd like to see him use some of our personnel differently. Like Lee at H-Back, Gray in the slot where he belongs, and others have mentioned using more two tight end sets. That in and of itself would be more creative. And use Malik Dear like Florida used Percy Harvin when he gets healthy.

Dan was more creative when he first got here. Remember the wishbone on the goal line in 2009? Bring that back. It was awesome.

Banned
    vCash
    Mullen has always coached with Adidas Tampons. This is nothing new. Some bells and whistles for show pre-snap but it's roughly the same 15-20 offensive plays every game and I have no problem with that if you get really good at those plays. I wish he would steal the hailmary bomb from Bama though. They score 1-2 TDs every single game on that play alone. Saban teaches it too not the other coaches I am totally convinced. That play has been there as long as he has.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    It isn't like MDL to give a quote like that about another coach (anonymous or otherwise)...

however, the mention of Spurrier, the NFL and the extrapolated time frame makes me ponder...
    Yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Token Bammer View Post
    Yes.
    Solid post.

+1
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I mean, we evolved from and run-oriented team to an Air Raid and back (?) in the last few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Mullen has always coached with Adidas Tampons. This is nothing new. Some bells and whistles for show pre-snap but it's roughly the same 15-20 offensive plays every game and I have no problem with that if you get really good at those plays. I wish he would steal the hailmary bomb from Bama though. They score 1-2 TDs every single game on that play alone. Saban teaches it too not the other coaches I am totally convinced. That play has been there as long as he has.
    You have to have wide receivers and ol to do that.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    And yet the NFL scouts and coaches were impressed with how much Dak knew about progressions and running an offense. Jason Garrett said Dak acclimated to the Cowboys offense so well because it was so similar to the offense he ran at State.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    You have to have wide receivers and ol to do that.
    Definitely agree on the WRs. Bama has had elite WRs the entire time Saban has been there. I think our OL is serviceable enough to allow for the play to be run 3-4 times a game though.

vCash
    Mullen's system is fundamentally sound enough that it doesn't need tricks and gimmicks. Spread 'em out, take what the defense gives us, or go with our best matchup. We don't have to confuse a defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Mullen's system is fundamentally sound enough that it doesn't need tricks and gimmicks. Spread 'em out, take what the defense gives us, or go with our best matchup. We don't have to confuse a defense.
    You forgot the **. Either that or you forget our performance against solid defenses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Perhaps the best offense I've ever been around really used only about 15-20 plays. Now they ran those plays out of about 10 different formations each and had about 3-5 motion packages for each.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    And yet the NFL scouts and coaches were impressed with how much Dak knew about progressions and running an offense. Jason Garrett said Dak acclimated to the Cowboys offense so well because it was so similar to the offense he ran at State.
    Yep

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Perhaps the best offense I've ever been around really used only about 15-20 plays. Now they ran those plays out of about 10 different formations each and had about 3-5 motion packages for each.
    A lot of it has to do with the talent and experience of the players. Give me Julio Jones and Derrick Henry and I can beat at least 6 teams a year with only using 5 plays a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You completely missed the point of the thread.

Mullen's base offense is excellent. No doubt about it.

All I'm saying is that adding a wrinkle here and there on a week to week basis may help us win a few more games.