Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mind boggling MSU offense stats

vCash

Mind boggling MSU offense stats

MSU's top 2 RBs in the rotation (LDP & Jrob) only average 3.58 and 3.4 yards per carry. That is the worst ypc for a team's 1-2 RBs in the SEC and its not close. I think its a symptom and not the sickness. The reason this stat bothers me much is b/c it doesn't matter if its TR or Dak, RB production is a must for success. If these ypc numbers do not increase dramatically, I don't expect an improved offense this season. Thought it was worth discussing. I wrote something about it but this post is the cliffs http://3rdand57.com/msu-offense-has-a-glaring-problem/

vCash
    That's not good

I don't expect the offense to improve until an OC change is made and Mullen is able to let go and allow someone to help game plan...until that we are croomed on offense

vCash
    Had no idea we were that far behind. That is pitiful.

I still think we have yet to settle on what our identity is offensively. Is it going to be the Dak Coast or the TR Offense? Just my opinion but I think this issue would correct itself if we would stick with Dak and get back to what we were doing on offense with Relf. It would help open up the running game I think.

vCash
    You would think but LDP and Jrob had horrible games at auburn. That's not a shot at their effort, just the production
    Last edited by BeastMan; 09-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.

vCash
    Lots of guys we could bring in that would be able to put up points with our players.

vCash
    Maybe Dak should play next to TR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Maybe Dak should play next to TR.
    I'd be willing to try anything. ULM did it last year and had a bunch of success with the dual QB formation. Hokey as hell but it was fun to watch

vCash
    I think the offense is in a midst of an identity crisis. In the first couple of years Mulllen didn't have much choice and the identity was a running offense first. Insert Russell who can throw a ball pretty good and we go away from leaning on the running game to now this drop back and pass offense but now with Dak we can if we choose to focus on running but we seem to be half way there. I am just not seeing any wrinkles in the running game that are really effective.

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    look it doesn't matter who our qb is. look at what happened when aubby stopped dak. our offense stalled. we have no creativity on offense.

vCash
    We are platooning way too many RBs. RBs need carries to get in a rhythm. In the Auburn game our RBs probably sat on the bench 10's of minutes between carries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    We are platooning way too many RBs. RBs need carries to get in a rhythm. In the Auburn game our RBs probably sat on the bench 10's of minutes between carries.
    I disagree. Only game we spread out carries was Alcorn. LDP and Jrob have been the 2 when the game matters with little to no exceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I disagree. Only game we spread out carries was Alcorn. LDP and Jrob have been the 2 when the game matters with little to no exceptions
    You serious, Clark? All 5 RBs had carries in the Auburn game. That is way too damn many. And J-Rob had never had more than 10 in any game in his career. I'd love to see what he could do if we'd feed him 15+ times.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Banned
    vCash
    I was screaming for Shumpert the entire second half. We would of won that game no doubt in my mind if Mullen lets Shump pound on them at the end. Auburn would of folded especially after those two turnovers. I can't believe we lost that game.

vCash
    I worried about this post Dixon, Relf, and Ballard to some degree. What we lack is power. We have no power back or at least we aren't using one. Montrell Conner was the next power back for us IMO and we let him get away.

We lack power except fo Dak. Too cute, too much finesse, too predictable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    You serious, Clark? All 5 RBs had carries in the Auburn game. That is way too damn many. And J-Rob had never had more than 10 in any game in his career. I'd love to see what he could do if we'd feed him 15+ times.
    You are wrong. Shump had 1 and so did Milton. Griffin had zero. As I posted, LDP and Jrob are MSUs guys when it matters. I don't see what you're missing here

vCash
    Here's my interesting stat of the Auburn game:
    We ran the ball 40 times against Auburn. 14 of those were carries by all of our running back COMBINED.

vCash
    @WMD

You constantly say that JRob should be the starter. If that's the argument, then yes he should have at least 15 carries a game. The reality of MSU is that he's 2nd string right now. The reality of football is that 2nd stringers rarely get 15 carries a game. TJ freaking Yeldon averaged 12.5 carries per game last year.

I actually agree with you that JRob should get more carries. That's a given. But you're not approaching these MSU RB conversations very rationally

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Here's my interesting stat of the Auburn game:
    We ran the ball 40 times against Auburn. 14 of those were carries by all of our running back COMBINED.
    Bingo. We need more production from MSU RBs. Carries and output.

vCash
    If we keep our RB croots,..and that is if we KEEP them, we'll have 6 on the roster next year. I love the depth but at least one guy needs to transfer. He would be doing himself a favor, his new program a favor, and us a favor. Just hope it's not our best guy.

vCash
    Griffin got the carry on the 2 pt conversion