Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: MHSAA and NWR/St Andrews

vCash
    David Coates' personal problems don't make the athletic programs dirty. He was running drugs to his kid in Oxford---of all places. It is well hidden if NWR has "one of the dirtiest programs". I've been around the football, baseball, and soccer programs for more than 10 years and don't see it. If we are dirty in basketball, it sure isn't working.

This thread was about MHSAA arbitrary and capricious enforcement. It appears people can't get beyond their personal dislikes of other programs. Probably why MHSAA thrives. As long as it's not MY school, the other school deserved it. They can just play schools off of each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    It might have to do with the fact Mr. Choke Job himself has had repeated MHSAA rule violations in the past 15 years ranging from illegal players to illegal practices.
    I retired from NWR and coached football there for years until I got sick. I never heard McClaskey ever say anything about cheating to get a player or break any rules. We had some fairly heated discussions about kids playing both sports and trying to do what was right for the athlete. People call and want to bring their kids there to play. Its as fine of a baseball facility for high school baseball as anywhere in the country.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with NWR. I have a problem with cheaters. NWR is the Ole Miss of MHSAA 6A athletics. Its the culture of 39047 though. Win at all costs.

As far as Coates, you replaced him with a guy that physically attacked a player at his former school and hailed the guy as a great Christian man. Its the culture. If you take a step back and look at it you'll see it too.

As far as the MHSAA, I have no problem with them enforcing rules. NWR played a player who had played on another high school team during the same season. The argument is that St. Andrew's shouldn't have gotten away with it, not that NWR did not.

vCash
    Sounds like mistakes were made. Make MHSAA RUE THE DAY!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I don't have a problem with NWR. I have a problem with cheaters. NWR is the Ole Miss of MHSAA 6A athletics. Its the culture of 39047 though. Win at all costs.

As far as Coates, you replaced him with a guy that physically attacked a player at his former school and hailed the guy as a great Christian man. Its the culture. If you take a step back and look at it you'll see it too.

As far as the MHSAA, I have no problem with them enforcing rules. NWR played a player who had played on another high school team during the same season. The argument is that St. Andrew's shouldn't have gotten away with it, not that NWR did not.
    No. That's not the argument. Sigh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundawg1974 View Post
    It is well hidden if NWR has "one of the dirtiest programs". I've been around the football, baseball, and soccer programs for more than 10 years and don't see it. If we are dirty in basketball, it sure isn't working.
    I know people who have been Ole Miss fans forever and still don't believe they have committed a single violation. You may not see it, but everyone else does. I know a former assistant baseball coach who quit coaching baseball at NWR because he said ethically he just couldn't live with it anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I know people who have been Ole Miss fans forever and still don't believe they have committed a single violation. You may not see it, but everyone else does. I know a former assistant baseball coach who quit coaching baseball at NWR because he said ethically he just couldn't live with it anymore.

Would love to hear more details here. Sounds like BS. No offense to you.

vCash
    All I know on this is there is more to this than most know. From what Ive been told, NWR had informed MHSAA of the transfer and done what they were supposed to do and had I believe verbal approval for the player to be eligible by someone with MHSAA. Then the shit hits the fan and we are where we are today. I think if this case had gone to arbitration, NWR would be allowed to be in the playoffs this season. It really sucks for the seniors on the team but it is what it is. If there was an avenue to get this done, I would be for it just for the seniors to have their shot. If not, then we take our medicine and move on.

I live in 39047 and have kids at NWR and for those talking culture bullshit, kiss it RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE! My culture is just fine. As far as cheating, I haven't personally seen it or even heard any talking amongst my fellow 047 win at all cost culture peeps. Win at all cost? What the hell man? If that was true, our trophy case would be spilling over. Somebody in the 047 obviously pissed in your cheerios, or gave you one hell of a wedgy. Dig that shit out and get over it already!

The David Coates thing was an awful situation and before all of these kids hit the high school so that has nothing to do with anything as far as athletics now. New principal. New AD. a bunch of new coaches. I'm sure there are many that don't like McClaskey, which is obvious with a few above here posting like they have something up their asses, but the man has done a good job as an AD for NWR so far. Helped bring in Toby Collums who is making NWR football much better and who is a stand up guy by all accounts. Both boys and girls soccer just won state titles. Basketball still needs work but that's more of players than coaching imo right now. And baseball, again it's McClaskey, who is a helluva baseball coach and he runs it his way. Lots may not like him cause he's beat that ass too much or hurt someone's feeling along the way. Regardless, NWR baseball is one of the best programs in MHSAA and will continue to be with McClaskey as the head coach.

vCash
    Having dealt with the MHSAA a good bit, I can tell you they're garbage. It's a political racket to fill a few pockets and take care of certain schools and areas. They pick and choose how they enforce "rules". They should be disbanded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    Would love to hear more details here. Sounds like BS. No offense to you.
    It's not. Said person still teaches/coaches at NWR. He (despite having a baseball background) requested out of the baseball program to coach sports he has no background in.

vCash
    MHSAA will not allow certain schools to take a transfer without sitting but they allow others to take kids. I know a kid that played ball in the fall in MAIS that's now playing again in the spring (same sport) in public school. When the MHSAA draws up districts, they protect certain schools as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Having dealt with the MHSAA a good bit, I can tell you they're garbage. It's a political racket to fill a few pockets and take care of certain schools and areas. They pick and choose how they enforce "rules". They should be disbanded.
    When I went to NWR in 1993, there was talk back then that Hinton (current MHSAA director) and NWR didn't see eye to eye after he left for Ocean Springs. I don't know what the rift was or do I care. But, I think personal feelings may be playing a role in this at some point. It is real easy for those at MHSAA forget and deny what they say.

vCash
    There are so many problems in the NWR zone, its pitiful. I'm not worried too much about NWR athletics though - Sue Townsend is going to make sure the athletic programs in RCSD are at a disadvantage. She despises scholastic sports and she would disband them all if she thought she could get away with it.

The culture I'm talking about is not only the "Win at all costs" but the "Rules don't apply to me" culture that the original post entails. Taxpayer money going to pay fines because you can't follow the rules would piss off most communities, but y'all doubled down and did it again. So its no surprise when you break rules in a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    There are so many problems in the NWR zone, its pitiful. I'm not worried too much about NWR athletics though - Sue Townsend is going to make sure the athletic programs in RCSD are at a disadvantage. She despises scholastic sports and she would disband them all if she thought she could get away with it.

The culture I'm talking about is not only the "Win at all costs" but the "Rules don't apply to me" culture that the original post entails. Taxpayer money going to pay fines because you can't follow the rules would piss off most communities, but y'all doubled down and did it again. So its no surprise when you break rules in a game.

Hmm! Really? I guess I need to tweet this to Sue and make her aware of her despise for athletics. Interesting