Thread: Great ESPN Article on Fitz

vCash

Great ESPN Article on Fitz

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/...d-has-paid-off

Also, a nice feature last night on the hometown TV station - great video from his SR year.
    http://www.wjcl.com/article/nick-fit...-state/8386472
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 12-02-2016 at 11:21 AM.

vCash
    I'm very interested to see the jump he takes as a passer going into his junior season and subsequently senior season. Two things I definitely want to see him improve upon:

1. Presnap recognition. Too often, he misses the one on one coverage that the presnap coverage read should give him, instead forcing the ball into the flooded coverage side.
    2. Deep ball accuracy. It's the hardest pass to throw, but he missed a lot of shots down the field this year.

If he cleans those up, which his size and athleticism, we could be looking at a high draft pick at QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I'm very interested to see the jump he takes as a passer going into his junior season and subsequently senior season. Two things I definitely want to see him improve upon:

1. Presnap recognition. Too often, he misses the one on one coverage that the presnap coverage read should give him, instead forcing the ball into the flooded coverage side.
    2. Deep ball accuracy. It's the hardest pass to throw, but he missed a lot of shots down the field this year.

If he cleans those up, which his size and athleticism, we could be looking at a high draft pick at QB.
    If he does he will get the Dak Stigma and not the Tim Tebow one.

Banned
    vCash
    Wow, I didn't know he was so comparable with Hurts. Behind a much worse O-line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Pretty impressive isn't it? Especially when he started the season with the team hating him *****

I just hope he keeps working hard. If so the sky is the limit for him IMO.

vCash
    I think one of the key things for Fitz is - where is he academically? The media guide bio lists him as a Finance major - and he has been on Honor Roll. He also was an EE - so he had 1 semester under his belt before most of the current RS Sop. got to campus. He should be a Sr, possibly ready to graduate in Dec. '17 if he has stayed on track. There is a possibility that he could be ready to graduate this May if he took summer classes.

The reason I mention this is that Dak made his biggest leap after he graduated because it allowed him to reduce his course load and essentially get a Masters in QB. If Nick is in a position where he can do the same thing - even if it means something as simple as not having summer classes and he can begin this summer getting that Masters in QB that Dak got - look out.

vCash
    Hurts is good, and he's certainly impressive for a true freshman, but he's not that great at this point. He just happens to be Bama's QB.

vCash
    In 2009 Boobie played for MSU against teams like Alabama and averaged 126.5 rushing/game.
    In 2009 Mark Ingram played for Alabama against teams like MSU and averaged 118.4 rushing/game.
    Ingram won the Heisman gaining fewer yards against inferior competition.
    As always, to the winners go the spoils.

vCash
    “That was something I was looking into, and then Coach Mullen said you’re going to be a good quarterback. I’m going to develop you like I’ve developed these other guys before you."

I like that pitch

vCash

Yea, probably a 4th round pick as a TE. ***

vCash
    Fitz basically missed a whole game also.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    "He?s not just a quarterback now. He?s one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC."

YES SIR!

vCash
    I said some nasty stuff about Fitz at the beginning of the season because I was mad at the whole damn team, City of Starkville and Oktibbeha County in general. It's hard to eat crow when you've already got a foot in your mouth. I'm an ass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Fitz basically missed a whole game also.
    Mullen should have his ass kicked for panicking in the USA game and pulling Fitz. There's no doubt in my mind that if Fitz plays the whole game, we win that one. We're sitting at a minimum of 6 wins, maybe Graves doesn't get the yips.....Hell, it could've been a whole different season. The butterfly effect from that choke job by Mullen was pretty awful.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Mullen should have his ass kicked for panicking in the USA game and pulling Fitz. There's no doubt in my mind that if Fitz plays the whole game, we win that one. We're sitting at a minimum of 6 wins, maybe Graves doesn't get the yips.....Hell, it could've been a whole different season. The butterfly effect from that choke job by Mullen was pretty awful.
    Must have been the shorts***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Must have been the shorts***
    More like the sharts.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quite possibly, if he doesn't pull Fitz, he doesn't become the QB he is today. At that point Fitz may not have been as focused as he should have been. That woke him up.

vCash

Heisman year after next, if no injury.

vCash
    I agree he should have AT LEAST given Fitz the full first half of ineffectiveness before pulling him. But even if he did I'm not convinced that we win the USA game. Our offense was sort of a mess back then and for whatever unknown reason Mullen was trying to make Fitz play in the pocket like Dak did in 2015 while ramming Holloway up the middle. That wasn't a good philosophy to beat anyone.