Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best improvement this season....... the OL

vCash

Best improvement this season....... the OL

He catches alot of grief, but the OL improved drastically over this season.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    He catches alot of grief, but the OL improved drastically over this season.
    Yes they did. Hev is a good line coach. I know some here think he can't recruit. I have no idea, but he is a sound line coach
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Absolutely...

In the last 4 games of the 2015 regular season Dak was sacked 21 times for -122 yards. Ole Miss(7), Arkansas(2), Alabama(9), and Mizzou(3).

In the last 4 games of the 2016 regular season Fitz was sacked only 4 times for -32 yards. Ole Miss(1), Arkansas(0), Alabama(3), and TAMU(0).

That's pretty incredible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    Absolutely...

In the last 4 games of the 2015 regular season Dak was sacked 21 times for -122 yards. Ole Miss(7), Arkansas(2), Alabama(9), and Mizzou(3).

In the last 4 games of the 2016 regular season Fitz was sacked only 4 times for -32 yards. Ole Miss(1), Arkansas(0), Alabama(3), and TAMU(0).

That's pretty incredible.
    Yep. Not only that, look at the rushing yards. Those big bodies were shedding blocks and getting into LBs etc.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Hev has to get quicker about this Oline development tho. And I'm not sure about this philosophy of having them learn every Oline position. I believe that may be why it takes so long for them to develop and why they look bad for so long. They too busy thinking and confused.

ETA: And Hev needs to recruit much better dammit. Get out of that lounge chair and fly you ass up to the western part of the midwest and find some big farm bred white dudes.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 11-28-2016 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    Problem could be the turnover on the line, the last 2 years we lost roughly half the line each year. We need to sign more O line each year to try and develop more continuity each year. I know its Alabama, but's that is what Saban does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Problem could be the turnover on the line, the last 2 years we lost roughly half the line each year. We need to sign more O line each year to try and develop more continuity each year. I know its Alabama, but's that is what Saban does.
    That was part of my point. Don't sign the bare minimum to get by each year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    That was part of my point. Don't sign the bare minimum to get by each year.
    Just agreeing with you Dawgday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yep. Not only that, look at the rushing yards. Those big bodies were shedding blocks and getting into LBs etc.
    Yep, something I also noticed in the Egg Bowl was that we were using Jordan Thomas as a sort of lead blocker on multiple instances. He would line up off the line of scrimmage off tackle, and we would run Aeris behind him, it was working to say the least. I would like to go back and watch the game and see how many big blocks he had. He was a big part of our success Saturday, and I feel that he didn't get the recognition he deserved.

vCash
    Yep, something I also noticed in the Egg Bowl was that we were using Jordan Thomas as a sort of lead blocker on multiple instances. He would line up off the line of scrimmage off tackle, and we would run Aeris behind him, it was working to say the least. I would like to go back and watch the game and see how many big blocks he had. He was a big part of our success Saturday, and I feel that he didn't get the recognition he deserved.
    One thing that has me somewhat hopeful (again). Mullen showed some different looks the other day like he'd been tweaking for the skillsets of the players he has. He needs to do that here and there from time to time ... exercise some of those "brilliant" offensive coordinator muscles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    One thing that has me somewhat hopeful (again). Mullen showed some different looks the other day like he'd been tweaking for the skillsets of the players he has. He needs to do that here and there from time to time ... exercise some of those "brilliant" offensive coordinator muscles.
    I agree. There were multiple plays where we had our 5 O-lineman plus Justin Johnson on the line of scrimmage, with Jordan Thomas playing off the line of scrimmage next to Johnson, with Aeris and Fitz in the backfield and Fred Ross and Donald Gray out wide. That's a TON of poundage to match up against in the box for opposing Defensive Coordinators, and it almost forces you to match up one on one with the 2 recievers out wide whether it be Ross, Gray, Mixon, or Dear. Eventually a DB is going to bite on the play action and leave one of our Wide out's wide open, this is what happened on the Malik Dear touchdown.

This is what I have been begging to see from Mullen, as have others, and what do you know it worked. Force the opposing team to load up the box due to a two-TE set, shove it down their throat with our big backs in Aeris and Fitz, then pop a play action deep when their defense is worn down and expecting run. Then you throw in a wide reciever motion play where you can hand it off to him, or fake the hand off and pull one of their guys out of the box. There are just so many things our offense can do when it is ran correctly. What you saw Saturday was the power option spread offense ran to perfection. It truly was a thing of beauty.

vCash
    Yea ... and I like it. Hope Dan doesn't forget about it during the off season.

vCash
    The knock on Hev is his recruiting- not his coaching

While there is no doubt the OL was improved- making Aeris the every down back was just as big. Fitz was the nation's leader in TO the last 5 weeks or so- that also coincided with Aeris getting nod at TB and riding him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

While there is no doubt the OL was improved- making Aeris the every down back was just as big. Fitz was the nation's leader in TO the last 5 weeks or so- that also coincided with Aeris getting nod at TB and riding him.
    Also, why wasn't Jenkins in there at guard all year? And Desper was clearly a better RG than LG. That's the kind of stuff along with Aeris at RB that really pisses me off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Also, why wasn't Jenkins in there at guard all year? And Desper was clearly a better RG than LG. That's the kind of stuff along with Aeris at RB that really pisses me off.
    Sho'' left some games out on the table this year cause of all of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Jenkins was certainly better there than Calhoun. He looks really good at LG. Rankin woke up out of his funk too.

Banned
    vCash
    Yes I'm with you on the OLine. I think once Rankin got confident and we established who was playing where after the Auburn game, wthey got better throughout the season.

For most improved from beginning to end, how about Fitz?! I mean from his decision making, toughness, but especially his leadership. He grew up big time this year.

vCash
    I agree. There were multiple plays where we had our 5 O-lineman plus Justin Johnson on the line of scrimmage, with Jordan Thomas playing off the line of scrimmage next to Johnson, with Aeris and Fitz in the backfield and Fred Ross and Donald Gray out wide. That's a TON of poundage to match up against in the box for opposing Defensive Coordinators, and it almost forces you to match up one on one with the 2 recievers out wide whether it be Ross, Gray, Mixon, or Dear. Eventually a DB is going to bite on the play action and leave one of our Wide out's wide open, this is what happened on the Malik Dear touchdown.

This is what I have been begging to see from Mullen, as have others, and what do you know it worked. Force the opposing team to load up the box due to a two-TE set, shove it down their throat with our big backs in Aeris and Fitz, then pop a play action deep when their defense is worn down and expecting run. Then you throw in a wide reciever motion play where you can hand it off to him, or fake the hand off and pull one of their guys out of the box. There are just so many things our offense can do when it is ran correctly. What you saw Saturday was the power option spread offense ran to perfection. It truly was a thing of beauty.
    For a man with so few posts you make a ton of sense!

vCash

C'mon man, you think that might have to do with the competition in November?

vCash
    Jenkins was certainly better there than Calhoun. He looks really good at LG. Rankin woke up out of his funk too.
    I hope Hev leaves him there and doesn't shuffle things up like he does every spring and move him to RT. Need Champion to win the RG job. Develop a RT, I don't know who. Hopefully, Hayes signs.