Thread: The "State Way"

vCash

The "State Way"

If you compare how we do things versus our TSUN friends - even at a high level - you can notice a few significant differences.

Recruiting - while they have hauled in gaudy results in national rankings, it is clear that they have cheated to accomplish that. They have reaped short term benefits, but it is not sustainable, and it looks like the NCAA impact could be devastating to them. While most State fans (me included) think we have room to improve in recruiting, at least we do a decent job at it, and we stay within the rules. Advantage - MSU

Player Development - pretty well established that MSU does a better job at this. Dak and Chris Jones are two of the highest performing rookies in the NFL, while Nkemdiche and Treadwell are big disappointments. Not to mention Preston Smith, Fletcher Cox, Bernardrick McKinney, KJ Wright, etc.....

Now, here's the kicker..... Academics..... If TSUN had the better Academic Progress Results, they would be looking to slip into a bowl instead of us. As I understand it, head-to-head doesn't matter. And, MSU rates much higher than TSUN in that category also....

So put it all together... Our "system" or "philosophy" or whatever is stay within the rules, recruit the players we like and can get, develop them - and stress academics. Not a bad combination. I think we are fortunate to have Coach Mullen leading our program.

vCash
    All good points, all I agree with.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    OM is the neighbor who drives flashy cars and has a massive house. However, they are up to their eyeballs in debt and the IRS is about to take possession of everything they own.

MSU is like the person who lives well within their means. Sure they don't have flashy new cars, but they have a reliable vehicle who gets from point A to point B without trouble. They have a modest 3 bed/ 2 bath house. They save up a little bit of money for a nice family vacation every other year.

At the end of the day, the modest neighbor stays in the neighborhood without any trouble. Your gaudy neighbor eventually gets kicked out and their house foreclosed on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    OM is the neighbor who drives flashy cars and has a massive house. However, they are up to their eyeballs in debt and the IRS is about to take possession of everything they own.

MSU is like the person who lives well within their means. Sure they don't have flashy new cars, but they have a reliable vehicle who gets from point A to point B without trouble. They have a modest 3 bed/ 2 bath house. They save up a little bit of money for a nice family vacation every other year.

At the end of the day, the modest neighbor stays in the neighborhood without any trouble. Your gaudy neighbor eventually gets kicked out and their house foreclosed on.
    Damn, you described me perfectly. great comparison!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Damn, you described me perfectly. great comparison!
    Which one?

vCash
    Great post. It bothers me that it's that obvious and everyone, even ole miss fans, don't recognize that we're leaving them in the dust. They don't do things right and take short cuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oildawg View Post
    If you compare how we do things versus our TSUN friends - even at a high level - you can notice a few significant differences.

Recruiting - while they have hauled in gaudy results in national rankings, it is clear that they have cheated to accomplish that. They have reaped short term benefits, but it is not sustainable, and it looks like the NCAA impact could be devastating to them. While most State fans (me included) think we have room to improve in recruiting, at least we do a decent job at it, and we stay within the rules. Advantage - MSU

Player Development - pretty well established that MSU does a better job at this. Dak and Chris Jones are two of the highest performing rookies in the NFL, while Nkemdiche and Treadwell are big disappointments. Not to mention Preston Smith, Fletcher Cox, Bernardrick McKinney, KJ Wright, etc.....

Now, here's the kicker..... Academics..... If TSUN had the better Academic Progress Results, they would be looking to slip into a bowl instead of us. As I understand it, head-to-head doesn't matter. And, MSU rates much higher than TSUN in that category also....

So put it all together... Our "system" or "philosophy" or whatever is stay within the rules, recruit the players we like and can get, develop them - and stress academics. Not a bad combination. I think we are fortunate to have Coach Mullen leading our program.
    Very well put! That may be the most perfect description I've seen!

vCash

Dang I think you just nailed most of us to a tee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Which one?
    I wouldn't consider my truck flashy, if that helps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    I wouldn't consider my truck flashy, if that helps.
    Figured. Just couldn't resist that jab.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Figured. Just couldn't resist that jab.
    I feel ya..... but what gets me is, OM fans are typically flashy yet they haven't gotten a personalized license plate in Alabama yet. I wear my MSU plate with pride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oildawg View Post

What is unm's APR?

EDIT: just looked it up. UNm is at 958, with prior years being 944, 946, 947. They may love Freeze's preacher ways but skipping class isn't helping any of those boys.
    Last edited by SailingDawg; 11-27-2016 at 06:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Great post. It bothers me that it's that obvious and everyone, even ole miss fans, don't recognize that we're leaving them in the dust. They don't do things right and take short cuts.
    They are the we want it now and don't care how we get it bunch.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    What is unm's APR?

vCash
    One of the best post of the year! Props to ya

Banned
    vCash

Outstanding post!

vCash
    Aren't those scores borderline penalty area?