Thread: For Eveyone's Education

vCash

For Eveyone's Education

and I wish the powers that be would pin this.

The 3-4 or 4-3 defense is NOT an alignment but a defensive scheme. It is gap responsibility. Either a 1 or 2 gap defense.

A few years back, I beat my head against the wall trying to convince people that the Spread was NOT an offensive scheme, but an ALIGNMENT.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

The 3-4 or 4-3 defense is NOT an alignment but a defensive scheme. It is gap responsibility. Either a 1 or 2 gap defense.

A few years back, I beat my head against the wall trying to convince people that the Spread was NOT an offensive scheme, but an ALIGNMENT.
    Lemme ask you this, Spiderman:

Bama runs a "3-4" but they almost always have a Jack LB on the edge... so, it looks like a 4-2-5.... and I assume the DL protect the same gaps, regardless of alignment...

Is that what you mean?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Lemme ask you this, Spiderman:

Bama runs a "3-4" but they almost always have a Jack LB on the edge... so, it looks like a 4-2-5.... and I assume the DL protect the same gaps, regardless of alignment...

Is that what you mean?
    Again, alignment or personnel means nothing. It's all gap responsibility in the run fits.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Again, alignment or personnel means nothing. It's all gap responsibility in the run fits.
    I was trying to be simple for the guy. Most haven't played the game and don't get gap responsibilities or much more for that fact. If they can see a front they might just have a clue.

vCash
    This week would be good time to teach our front 7 that the gap responsibilities have changed.

vCash

This is true the problem is we don't have the personnel to play 3-4 gap responsibility. You have to have bad ass physical LB's inside and we only have one in Lewis. Brown and Gerri are outside backers at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    This is true the problem is we don't have the personnel to play 3-4 gap responsibility. You have to have bad ass physical LB's inside and we only have one in Lewis. Brown and Gerri are outside backers at best.
    Was about to say the same thing... I'm no expert and this is probably oversimplifying it, but doesn't personnel come into play when the switch of alignments means you have a 240 lb linebacker in charge of a given gap instead of a 300 lb DT?

vCash
    If you put four on the line and line them up in the gap our LB will be a little more free to move around.

vCash
    The personnel does play a roll into running the scheme. Its easy no matter what scheme you run you have to have all gaps accounted for. the 3-4 you usually need a BIG NG to account for both A gaps.

vCash
    Hopefully Errol Thompson will be the other bad ass LBer with Leo next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Hopefully Errol Thompson will be the other bad ass LBer with Leo next year.
    Hopefully we will scrap this sorry scheme and get back to a defense that our players understand so we can play fast and be in position.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Does Bama still follow this model...I thought all the talk was that Saban had downsized his LB's for speed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Does Bama still follow this model...I thought all the talk was that Saban had downsized his LB's for speed
    They have gone with better coverage guys at safety instead of the old school John Lynch type. Their LB's are freaks, we aren't signing Rueben Fosters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    They became faster they didn't take away the physicality component. Bad ass Imo has nothing to do with size.