Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Intra Conference Transfer Rule...

vCash

Re: Intra Conference Transfer Rule...

For those of you that have followed the story, what's yall's take on the Maurice Smith situation...?

For those that aren't in the loop:

Bammer has a likely starter at nickleback that has received his degree and wants to transfer to UGA.

I'm somewhat conflicted...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Saban should let him go. He's the best coach in the NCAA. Besides, your team will continue to view Smith as a traitor
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." James "Mad Dog" Mattis, General/USMC August 2006

vCash
    I think he should be allowed to transfer. Now....if this was last year and Dak wanted to transfer then....absolutely not. Guess it "depends on whose ox is being gored."
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Outside the SEC only.

vCash
    The kid has fulfilled his obligation to Bama playing and earning his degree.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." James "Mad Dog" Mattis, General/USMC August 2006

vCash
    I followed it, but not closely. To have a real opinion on the specific case I would want to see the official written rules of the SEC. The kid that was released without incident to Missouri was an interesting dynamic. What is not clear to me is what compelled them to change their mind and allow his release to UGA b/c Saban doesn't strike me as someone that would cave on something like this.

My personal opinion regardless of what the rules say is I would prefer to not see inter-conference transfers allowed, but there is a downside to this approach b/c I'd also hate to see the Clemson, FSU, Ohio State, and Oklahoma types that are going to compete for national championships with the SEC have the opportunity to load up on SEC grad transfers.

In general, I suspect this rule would hurt Alabama a lot less than it would the other schools in the SEC b/c a lot of your starters seem to leave as juniors for the NFL. Because of this I would suspect your list of projected starters that are holding a degree would be lower than others in the conference. I could also be completely misreading the situation with that assumption b/c clearly you are in the middle of it on this one.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mcain31 View Post
    The kid has fulfilled his obligation to Bama playing and earning his degree.
    My thoughts exactly...but I'm somewhat concerned that it will open another loop hole in recruiting.

vCash
    Let him go. He's a senior who's not going to see any playing time, and Alabama won't play Georgia this year (unless it's in the SEC championship game).

I just don't think there's any way Saban comes out of this looking good. He probably doesn't care, but he doesn't gain anything by blocking the transfer.

Boomhauer
    vCash
    b
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    My thoughts exactly...but I'm somewhat concerned that it will open another loop hole in recruiting.
    u dont want this to happen, now u will have coaches still recruiting kids even after they are at a school.

vCash
    I think Saban should transfer back to Michigan State. Then we could commence to beating that ass again.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg27 View Post
    b

u dont want this to happen, now u will have coaches still recruiting kids even after they are at a school.
    That's what I was thinking as well. Schools like Bama are already getting the transfers from other conferences and would own the SEC transfer game as well. Hell, Saban sure didn't have a problem with the transfer rule we he needed depth at kicker and signed Andy Pappanastos from ole miss. http://www.wsfa.com/story/31576712/f...e?sf23291433=1

vCash
    There are some interesting takes here, and I don't think there's one "right" answer...

My personal opinion is that if the SEC changes the rule to allow intra-conference transfers, it would HELP Alabama...

We'd likely get 1 or 2 experienced players per year that could contribute without committing to a 4 deal... Other SEC schools could effectively be a "farm system"...

In turn, as AROB44 said, it could actually hurt schools that historically don't recruit as well....

No.

vCash
    Freeze has continued talking to our players after signing day. That's just weird.

vCash
    My answer is real simple:

1. Let him transfer where he wants if he graduates

2. If I'm a coach, I'm getting with my academic people & letting them know that I don't want guys graduating very quick.

In the end, I don't see this a big problem. It seems like a recruiting loophole, but I don't think many SRs that have invested 4 years into a program & teammates are willing to up & leave their team unless it's a playing time issue. 22 year old SRs are infinitely more mature than high school kids, yet we seem to be considering them the same.

I just don't see it being an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    My answer is real simple:

1. Let him transfer where he wants if he graduates

2. If I'm a coach, I'm getting with my academic people & letting them know that I don't want guys graduating very quick.

In the end, I don't see this a big problem. It seems like a recruiting loophole, but I don't think many SRs that have invested 4 years into a program & teammates are willing to up & leave their team unless it's a playing time issue. 22 year old SRs are infinitely more mature than high school kids, yet we seem to be considering them the same.

I just don't see it being an issue.
    I think Saban released him yesterday or this morning to transfer to GA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think Saban released him yesterday or this morning to transfer to GA.
    it's my understanding that the SEC rule is the hold up... they have to make an exception to allow the transfer...

that being said, I don't believe MDL/Bammer made it easy (not sure if they could have blocked it, regardless)...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    it's my understanding that the SEC rule is the hold up... they have to make an exception to allow the transfer...

that being said, I don't believe MDL/Bammer made it easy (not sure if they could have blocked it, regardless)...
    True. We need a "You Bet Your Ass" up on whether the SEC office will allow. I'd bet all my Vcash (what little I have left) that they will deny him his transfer to GA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Let him go. He's a senior who's not going to see any playing time, and Alabama won't play Georgia this year (unless it's in the SEC championship game).

I just don't think there's any way Saban comes out of this looking good. He probably doesn't care, but he doesn't gain anything by blocking the transfer.
    Maurice will start at UGA if he gets there... Hell, he's a (situational) starter at Bammer...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Maurice will start at UGA if he gets there... Hell, he's a (situational) starter at Bammer...
    Exactly why if they approve graduate transfer within the conference it won't help Bama.
    These type players are going to declare for or enter the draft.. I'm guessing a college player with questionable NFL talent won't be much help for one season at Bama..
    QB might be the only position it would benifit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Exactly why if they approve graduate transfer within the conference it won't help Bama.
    These type players are going to declare for or enter the draft.. I'm guessing a college player with questionable NFL talent won't be much help for one season at Bama..
    QB might be the only position it would benifit.
    But losing a player with "questionable" NFL talent frees up a roster spot for someone we could cherry pick... granted, I think the net gain/loss is close to negligible, but the selfish "Bammer" in me would like to see the rule eliminated...

No.