Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I'm being a jackass about the SECNetwork's softball coverage...

vCash

If I'm being a jackass about the SECNetwork's softball coverage...

...it's because I'm a jackass about a lot of things.

I didn't intend to become expert on Emily Carosone and assorted other Auburn softball players, but it's happening.

This is a minor thing in itself, but having a media concern ram its identity politics agenda down your throat tedious at best.

As others have mentioned, ESPN is hemorrhaging cash.. I hope they PC themselves into oblivion. Soon.

vCash
    It's A sad day when softball coverage is 24/7 and college baseball coverage is sporadic at best. I'm sick of softball, everytime I look at my guide it says college softball. They could've had so many more of the regional games on regular tv instead of the Internet but I guess that would've interfered with women's softball coverage!

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    For those of you bitching about softball coverage right now, it's the Women's College World Series. Auburn is going against Oklahoma in the championship series and they are going to a Game 3. So if there's any time for you to bitch about softball coverage, it isn't now. Plus just like how to the SEC is tops in baseball, it's tops in softball.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I'm hard left and I agree that TV should be based on what people want to watch so it's not a political thing. There literally can't be that many people wanting to watch college softball. It is ridiculous.

But it was also ridiculous that during the baseball tournament they were playing replays of football spring games. That's just bad programming all the way around.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    For those of you bitching about softball coverage right now, it's the Women's College World Series. Auburn is going against Oklahoma in the championship series and they are going to a Game 3. So if there's any time for you to bitch about softball coverage, it isn't now. Plus just like how to the SEC is tops in baseball, it's tops in softball.
    I didn't wait until now to bitch. The coverage is wildly incommensurate with fan interest. How much Collegiate Bass Fishing coverage was there?

Banned
    vCash
    Man, I agree. But it's funny you mention this. I was in a meeting with 3 other people yesterday (2 men, 1 woman, all younger than 40). We started talking sports and all 3 of them said baseball was boring and softball was more entertaining. Color me shocked but I guess that's popular opinion, which is probably why ESPN covers it.

But remember, nobody cares until Super Regionals, in either sport. I suspect you'll see big coverage for baseball this weekend too. Curious which one, apple to apple, has higher ratings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I'm hard left and I agree that TV should be based on what people want to watch so it's not a political thing. There literally can't be that many people wanting to watch college softball. It is ridiculous.

But it was also ridiculous that during the baseball tournament they were playing replays of football spring games. That's just bad programming all the way around.
    Last year's Softball World Series finals had better viewership than the CWS finals.

vCash
    The coverage has been totally unbalanced. I understand they are in their World Series but come on the coverage of the baseball regionals sucked. It could've been more balanced for sure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Last year's Softball World Series finals had better viewership than the CWS finals.
    What about the ratings for the regionals and supers not just the finals? I've got nothing against softball but it's being covered just about 24/7.

vCash
    Espn is a ****ing piece of shit that is trying to destroy college baseball. The political agenda there is no different than a number of regular cable news networks. But they have the whole market share and they are trying to make us conform to their liberal ideals. It's everywhere now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    What about the ratings for the regionals and supers not just the finals? I've got nothing against softball but it's being covered just about 24/7.
    They didn't cover every regional softball game like baseball this year so I'm not sure the numbers can compare. And I don't really feel like looking at all those games for each sport to compare numbers. Lol. In the end most people the last few years are surprised at how well the softball numbers actually produce. I believe the World Series is mainly when the bulk of people watch softball. But last year's overall coverage or finals (can't remember which) was up 30% and actually beat baseball for the first time. I think that is a lot better than most people would think.

vCash
    I thought the narrative was when sec network launched we would get all these baseball games but that has not been true. I don't count the games on the web. I got the secn to watch it on tv.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    They didn't cover every regional softball game like baseball this year so I'm not sure the numbers can compare. And I don't really feel like looking at all those games for each sport to compare numbers. Lol. In the end most people the last few are surprised at how well the softball numbers actually produce. I believe the World Series is mainly when the bulk of people watch softball. But last year's overall coverage or finals (can't remember which) was up 30% and actually beat baseba for the first time. I think that is a lot better than most people would think.
    That's cool and I don't blame you for not wanting to look that up lol. The coverage for college baseball was better in the 80's. I just wanna see more college baseball. Heck the pac12 network shows a ton of games and even the big 10 network does too. You woukd think as big as baseball is in sec that they would cover it better. Nothing against women's softball I just wanna see better baseball coverage.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    I think the bitch and gripe is the SEC had a baseball season that will probably not be seen again and what did they put on at prime time Saturday night all season long, softball over great baseball series.

vCash
    That's cool and I don't blame you for not wanting to look that up lol. The coverage for college baseball was better in the 80's. I just wanna see more college baseball. Heck the pac12 network shows a ton of games and even the big 10 network does too. You woukd think as big as baseball is in sec that they would cover it better. Nothing against women's softball I just wanna see better baseball coverage.
    Don't disagree really. Especially regular season games. Just with them having the supers and World Series earlier than baseball I don't mind these last few weeks softball getting a lot of coverage. Without a daughter who plays competitively I probably would not be as a big of fan of softball as I have become. So much similarities with baseball yet so different. And with so many baseball guys crossing over into softball (which I have done partially as well) the fundamentals and technical aspects are starting to really show the last 5-6 years. There is some really good fast paced ball being played at the highest levels. Along with the overall popularity of the sport it has grown a good bit the last decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    I think the bitch and gripe is the SEC had a baseball season that will probably not be seen again and what did they put on at prime time Saturday night all season long, softball over great baseball series.
    Yep the baseball coverage sucked period. I guarantee you ratings for sec baseball would be stout! All the great games this year that could've been on.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Espn is a ****ing piece of shit that is trying to destroy college baseball. The political agenda there is no different than a number of regular cable news networks. But they have the whole market share and they are trying to make us conform to their liberal ideals. It's everywhere now.
    Do you think so? I know I'm a smart ass most of the time, but I'm asking in all seriousness. I try to give benefit of the doubt but I don't know if it's just simple popularity or if there really is an agenda.

Banned
    vCash
    Yep the baseball coverage sucked period. I guarantee you ratings for sec baseball would be stout! All the great games this year that could've been on.
    There is a lot more on TV now than it used to be.

vCash
    Both college softball AND baseball are minor sports in the grand scheme of things.

vCash
    In the 80s you could watch college baseball on ESPN everyday. They even broadcast some d2 baseball games. The coverage has not kept up.