Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the RPI of the 8 national seeds last year?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

What was the RPI of the 8 national seeds last year?

I'm too lazy to look it up. I have seen a couple of posters say that RPI is just a tool, but I know one year, the 16 host teams had the top 17 RPI's in the country. In baseball, it seems like they rely on it way more than Basketball.

vCash
    My research shows UC Santa Barbara hosted as the #24 RPI last year and that was the lowest. Teams like Virginia and Radford had Top 15 RPI's and did not host.

ETA: They also had a SOS of 62. Considering UCLA and CSF hosted, that was not a gimmie regional due to lack of west coast regionals. However they went 2 and through in their regional because they got buzz sawed by Virginia.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 04-27-2016 at 10:06 AM.

vCash
    Nat'l Seed/Team/Record/RPI

#1. UCLA (42-14) #7
    #2. LSU (48-10) #3
    #3. Louisville (43-16) #13
    #4. Florida (44-16) #1
    #5. Miami (44-14) #2
    #6. Illinois (47-8-1) #12
    #7. TCU (43-11) #6
    #8. Missouri State (45-10) #9

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    Nat'l Seed/Team/Record/RPI

#1. UCLA (42-14) #7
    #2. LSU (48-10) #3
    #3. Louisville (43-16) #13
    #4. Florida (44-16) #1
    #5. Miami (44-14) #2
    #6. Illinois (47-8-1) #12
    #7. TCU (43-11) #6
    #8. Missouri State (45-10) #9

Yikes, worst RPI was 13. We better not fall below 15 if we want a national seed. Missouri State, what a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yikes, worst RPI was 13. We better not fall below 15 if we want a national seed. Missouri State, what a joke.
    Well it's probably gonna happen bc our SOS is about to take a serious hit after this weekend

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well it's probably gonna happen bc our SOS is about to take a serious hit after this weekend
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all that. It seems like it would hurt big schools like SEC schools that play a lot of OOC home games and make them look worse in RPI. Conversely, it helps schools like Northern and Midwestern look better because they have to play a lot of earl season road games. So, I just did a little calculation. Throw out the tie more or less. I know our own performance is only 25% but lets look at what our adjusted record would be. We have 18 wins in Starkville, 4 at neutral sites, and 6 on the road. That drops from 28 to 24.4. Our losses (I don't remember what was where but I already calculated it) rise from 13 to 14.8.

So, according to the RPI adjustment, our record is 24.4-14.8, or more or less that we are viewed as a 24-15-1 team, not a 28-13-1 team. So, 50% is opponents strength. But we play a lot of SEC teams that likely have the same problem we have, a lot of home games that don't count as a full win and are magnified if they lose. How, do we end up rated so high? You can't even look at our SEC opponents without adjusting their overall records downward a few wins and add a loss or two. Still decent records but I guess everyone else's RPI sucks that bad. It seems like there's no such thing as a good RPI. Just a baseline of the Top40 or so and after that the sucking starts.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    And every weekend after likely...

Team/RPI/SOS

Bama 48 22
    Mizzou 98 44
    Auburn 114 19
    Arkansas 85 90

Banned
    vCash
    The flip side to that is that each additional game means incrementally less than the ones before it in terms of the RPI calculation. That is especially true towards the end of the season. All teams are starting to settle into a subset of where they will finish in the RPI, and that subset gets smaller and smaller with each passing game. Right now I'd guestimate that our RPI could get as high as #6 or #7 if we finish red hot, or possibly drop to the low 20's if we have a disappointing finish.

We are definitely in the gray area now where we are on the tightrope between a national seed and just a first round host site. If we continue winning, our RPI should stay high enough for a national seed even though our SOS will definitely drop some.

vCash
    If we go 8-4 the final 4 SEC series, we just have to hope the committee uses some common sense and says these guys beat UF, Vandy, and LSU 2 out of 3 on the road. No one will have that on their resume.

vCash
    We are worrying way too much about being a national seed

vCash
    It's an attainable goal, one that, oh by the way, we've never accomplished since the tournament expanded.
    Obviously it's not the end of the world if we don't make it but it would represent our most successful regular season of at least the last 18 years.
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    We are worrying way too much about being a national seed
    Agreed. We've only even hosted once in a coon's age, but everyone seems to have forgotten that.

Banned
    vCash
    We will only be a nat seed if we win all 4 Series that are left and sweep 2 of them. Other than that no chance. If we lose more than one of the 4 series we will be in danger of not hosting.

vCash
    If we win each series left then we may be able to play our way to a national seed in the SECT.

vCash
    Our SOS is now projected to fall to #12. Hardly a big deal. If we win the rest of our series, we will be a national seed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Our SOS is now projected to fall to #12. Hardly a big deal. If we win the rest of our series, we will be a national seed.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I agree

vCash
    I think some of y'all are over-complicating it. Right now as of today, we are a National Seed. We have 4 more series against teams we can and should beat. It is going to be extremely hard to lose a National Seed if we win all 4 remaining series. Even if we were the #8 currently, it would take a team getting red freaking hot to jump a team that is winning every series and already considered a National Seed.

Plus this year is different in that the SEC and ACC are leaps and bounds ahead of the others.

So in my opinion, just winning the rest of our series should wrap up a National Seed. Unless something crazy happens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I think some of y'all are over-complicating it. Right now as of today, we are a National Seed. We have 4 more series against teams we can and should beat. It is going to be extremely hard to lose a National Seed if we win all 4 remaining series. Even if we were the #8 currently, it would take a team getting red freaking hot to jump a team that is winning every series and already considered a National Seed.

Plus this year is different in that the SEC and ACC are leaps and bounds ahead of the others.

So in my opinion, just winning the rest of our series should wrap up a National Seed. Unless something crazy happens
    I wonder what's the worst RPI to be a national seed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I wonder what's the worst RPI to be a national seed?
    Probably 20 something. Not sure.

But just like we can look at RPI history, how many times has a team not been a National Seed with 3+ series wins on the road of a National Seed or Host school + 18 or more SEC wins?

If we weren't currently considered a National Seed, I would agree that we need some sweeps and good fortune.....but right now we are likely the #5-#7 National Seed, so I can't see us winning every remaining series and dropping from the Top 8.

I may be crazy though
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 04-27-2016 at 01:13 PM.