Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Rainy Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Rainy Edition

It's been pretty rainy across MS but that hasn't stopped my busy week. It's about time to unwind. What does the outdoor dawgs have in store?
    Last edited by BeastMan; 03-12-2016 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    Still in South FL, but everything with the new gal is going well. Continued the local seafood theme today with garlic braised blue crabs, stone crab and stuffed scallops. Also picked up a Guatemalan solera aged rum at a local booze shop today. This is my first go with aged rum, and this one is freaking outstanding. The juice is aged between 8-23 years, and the bottle was ONLY $30. Great mouthfeel, smooth with no bite, and a sweet/brown sugar finished. Amazing. May have to stock up on a few of these before we leave.

vCash
    We've had a rum conversation before and I haven't really adventures out at all. May have to

vCash
    I am in a heavily Caribbean area, which influences the local selection I think, as I have never seen these bottles at any of my shops in AL. You can get a much older aged rum than bourbon or scotch for much less money. I have to say, I am liking it so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    I am in a heavily Caribbean area, which influences the local selection I think, as I have never seen these bottles at any of my shops in AL. You can get a much older aged rum than bourbon or scotch for much less money. I have to say, I am liking it so far.
    I've got a rum I'm going to try - maybe tomorrow if I find it. Announced this week that Richland Rum will be locating their 2nd distillery here in downtown Brunswick a block from my office. http://www.richlandrum.com/home.html
    The aren't opening for about a year, but it is being done in conjunction with our Downtown Development agency and I may be doing some preservation consulting on the building rehab. Will work for rum!

vCash
    Dickel single barrel on ice. I needed this one after this hell of a week.

vCash
    That's pretty awesome Bruns. We priced some design work for a KY whiskey maker not too long ago...I was really excited about that site visit.

I will be looking for a bottle of Richland on my next pass through GA.

vCash
    Going to do some skewer's tonight or tomorrow. Bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon wrapped snapper, mushrooms, peppers, okra, tomatoes, who knows what else. Will do some with just seasoning and olive oil, some teriyaki, some buffalo, and some with j lee BBQ sauce. If you like supporting local business you should pick up some. It's a guy out of Biloxi and he's won all kinds of awards with it. It was actually given to everyone at the oscars in a gift bag this year. It's some good stuff.
    Eta I recently discovered Agavero tequila. That stuff is made from Satan himself. Doesn't taste like tequila at all.

vCash
    Doing salmon tonight. Picked up some white cans and monkeynaut ipa.

vCash
    Nothing special tonight. Chicken for the Mrs. and chops for me. Cheap Yellowtail chard with dinner. I bought a new (for me) IPA to try, Ethos. I won't be buying it again. It's not bad, there are just several others I like better. I do have a few good beers left though. Old Rasputin will be next. If I do anymore tonight it will probably be Andygator (again an experiment I won't repeat) or Monkeynaught. I'll have a great 20 year tawny port or a great Islay after diner.

vCash
    Wife made a soy/ginger/honey salmon with brown ice and broccoli. Movie night now engaged.

vCash
    Definitely nothing fancy tonight, but it sure does smell good. Jalape?o, bacon cheeseburgers, deer sausage and steak fries with some Oskar Blues IPA to wash it down. I'm really hoping for no more rain. Trying to sell my house and this lake in my yard surely won't help.

vCash
    Very nice Speck. At lunch I grilled some deer sausage and fried blackstrap for my staff at work. Sometimes the simple stuff cannot be beat.

vCash
    Went and visited family in Arkansas this weekend. Dad cooked a crawfish pie Friday night, sister in law cooked tacos last night, and we are going to Oaklawn to watch the horse races today and finishing it off with a deboned chicken stuffed with crabmeat dressing tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    ... finishing it off with a deboned chicken stuffed with crabmeat dressing tonight.
    Really need pics of this, and play-by-play, please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Really need pics of this, and play-by-play, please.
    X2

vCash
    sorry guys didn't get pics but I'll post some the next one I cook. It turned out great. Some place in Biloxi does the deboning and stuffing and I buy them from a meat market in Brookhaven. Brought this one to my parents this weekend.

vCash
    I didn't even know Oscar Blues had an IPA. All I've ever had is the Dale's Pale Ale, the Tin Fiddy, and Momma's Little Yella Pils