Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now that everyone is calmer, or at least tired out

vCash

Now that everyone is calmer, or at least tired out

I have a question and a few comments....

Do I have enough "cred" here now? Just asking because I hope I don't have to defend myself in 5 page threads in the future.

I've said it in a lot of those threads that I don't have inside info on every subject here. I will also tell you I don't know when I don't know.

But, if I do post something, it's as solid as can be at that time. Like an old coach told a young coach one time, 'Boy, if I tell you it's Christmas in July, go hang up your little red stocking."

Bet some are now wishing they could feel "Meh" today.

As far as today, the only big surprise to a lot of State folks was Lashley. It went sideways after his Bama visit. He got the stars in his eyes and that was that. State's staff was hoping they could bring him back down but Saban and Mario did a good job on him.

AJ was no disappointment, he was never coming, barring a miracle. Everyone remember for the future... it's never good when a HS kid from your state doesn't visit. I don't care if he lives on the campus with his faculty parents. An official visit is a lot different than hanging out on campus. I was hoping he would also pick Bama. But like i said 2 weeks ago, if he took that visit to Ole Miss look out.

Knott was a battle. Went to the wire like i figured but knew Bama had the advantage if they really wanted him. No surprise.

Kobe was a big lean the whole way but hurt us by not committing early. I know he wanted to enjoy the process, but he basically knew he was going to State and hurt the team and himself by not helping them with other recruits. Kobe is a out front leader type guy. Others would have listened to him.

Simmons was a big get. I truly don't think anyone knew where he was going. Ole Miss sure didn't. Yancy 100%'ed him because that's what the Ole Miss staff thought and told Yancy. (And yes, they leak to Yancy. He tweeted the cute pic of AJ real early this morning, before he announced, because his papers were already in.) There is a reason they were stunned, as Low said. They thought they had him and actually, according to Shorter, came in last for him.

Now, we all hate the Ole Miss narrative.

But we have one here, but it won't be used. What's that you ask?

Sure we lost Knott, Lashley and Davis to Bama. No real shame in that if Bama wants them bad enough. AJ went to Ole Miss, but as I
    said, we never really had a chance there anyway. They didn't out recruit us for him, no matter what he says. He's saying that to take the pressure off. (That situation deserves it's own post.)

But we did go head to head with Bama and Ole Miss on Simmons, who Ole Miss wanted more than anyone else in State. Make no mistake, he was their #1 guy. He was State's #1 guy. He was Bama's #1 guy in the State of Mississippi.

We didn't have the inside track to start with. We started out even with the others.

So tell this to anybody that says we CAN'T recruit..... we out recruited Ole Miss for the kid we both wanted the most. We out recruited Bama for the kid too.

Think about that. They and State went all out for the kid, and State beat them out, and beat Ole Miss out bad, for the kid we both wanted most.

Hell that looks like a sunshine post, but I've been accused as nothing but negitive for the last month and a half.

Now, let's go hire us a recruiting corner back coach, 28 and Angie
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Do I have enough "cred" here now? Just asking because I hope I don't have to defend myself in 5 page threads in the future.

I've said it in a lot of those threads that I don't have inside info on every subject here. I will also tell you I don't know when I don't know.

But, if I do post something, it's as solid as can be at that time. Like an old coach told a young coach one time, 'Boy, if I tell you it's Christmas in July, go hang up your little red stocking."

As far as today, the only big surprise to a lot of State folks was Lashley. It went sideways after his Bama visit. He got the stars in his eyes and that was that. State's staff was hoping they could bring him back down but Saban and Mario did a good job on him.

AJ was no disappointment, he was never coming, barring a miracle. Everyone remember for the future... it's never good when a HS kid from your state doesn't visit. I don't care if he lives on the campus with his faculty parents. An official visit is a lot different than hanging out on campus. I was hoping he would also pick Bama. But like i said 2 weeks ago, if he took that visit to Ole Miss look out.

Knott was a battle. Went to the wire like i figured but knew Bama had the advantage if they really wanted him. No surprise.

Kobe was a big lean the whole way but hurt us by not committing early. I know he wanted to enjoy the process, but he basically knew he was going to State and hurt the team and himself by not helping them with other recruits. Kobe is a out front leader type guy. Others would have listened to him.

Simmons was a big get. I truly don't think anyone knew where he was going. Ole Miss sure didn't. Yancy 100%'ed him because that's what the Ole Miss staff thought and told Yancy. (And yes, they leak to Yancy. He tweeted the cute pic of AJ real early this morning, before he announced, because his papers were already in.) There is a reason they were stunned, as Low said. They thought they had him and actually, according to Shorter, came in last for him.

Sure we lost Knott, Lashley and Davis to Bama. No real shame in that if Bama wants them bad enough. AJ went to Ole Miss, but as I
    said, we never really had a chance there anyway. They didn't out recruit us for him, no matter what he says. He's saying that to take the pressure off. (That situation deserves it's own post.)

But we did go head to head with Bama and Ole Miss on Simmons, who Ole Miss wanted more than anyone else in State. Make no mistake, he was their #1 guy. He was State's #1 guy. He was Bama's #1 guy in the State of Mississippi.

We didn't have the inside track to start with. We started out even with the others.

So tell this to anybody that says we CAN'T recruit..... we out recruited Ole Miss for the kid we both wanted the most. We out recruited Bama for the kid too.

Think about that. They and State went all out for the kid, and State beat them out, and beat Ole Miss out bad, for the kid we both wanted most.

Hell that looks like a sunshine post, but I've been accused as nothing but negitive for the last month and a half.

The only thing I will disagree with, and you said this on Kobe, but that is that with any kind of a decent recruiting effort and if Hevesy was not so repulsive Lashley would have been committed to MSU 6 months ago and then a Bama visit would have been a non-factor. One thing I've learned with Mullen and staff is that they are not good closers late in the process so if we don't have some of our best commits in the boat before the 1st game of the season kicks off then we are likely headed for trouble on the recruiting trail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The only thing I will disagree with, and you said this on Kobe, but that is that with any kind of a decent recruiting effort and if Hevesy was not so repulsive Lashley would have been committed to MSU 6 months ago and then a Bama visit would have been a non-factor. One thing I've learned with Mullen and staff is that they are not good closers late in the process so if we don't have some of our best commits in the boat before the 1st game of the season kicks off then we are likely headed for trouble on the recruiting trail.
    Lashley let the process go to his head a little. He was committed then everybody came at him.

Kinda like the plain ole gal that was meek and nice as a sophmore and came back as a junior looking like a new woman and getting asked out and hit on by every dude on campus.

I think his head is still spinning. Too much blame being placed on Hev here in my opinion.

We were the O line man asking him to prom. Bama was the QB
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

If anyone is doubting Spiderman... I can vouch. He is 100% Bulldog through and through.

vCash

Great post! Agree that our staff does a better job than folks been giving them credit for. We have a lot of talent in Starkville just gotta get better on the OL. Thanks for your insights.

vCash

Bravo, Sir!

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash

I love what they did, I just wish they did it more consistently. I wish we showed the same effort that we showed on Simmons for some other guys, but maybe that will improve going forward.

vCash
    We also finished ahead of om for Davis and knott (he just confirmed this in cl article, said he thought about flipping this morning) and lashley. That doesn't matter in the long run I know, just saying bama was our problem this year, not om.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I love what they did, I just wish they did it more consistently. I wish we showed the same effort that we showed on Simmons for some other guys, but maybe that will improve going forward.
    I truly think we did.

We had the misfortune of Bama wanting, and having spots for Lashley, Knott, and Davis.

If not, I think we get them all easily, then we'd be dancing in the streets.

It's very rare that Bama want 5 kids out of Miss. and have spots for them in one year. This was the year.

It's just that same ole dog shit State luck that seems to bite us every now and then.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 02-03-2016 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    Have we ever signed a DL duo better than Jeffery Simmons and Kobe Jones not to mention Marquisse Spencer from Greenwood? Great DL class this year.

T

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We also finished ahead of om for Davis and knott (he just confirmed this in cl article, said he thought about flipping this morning) and lashley. That doesn't matter in the long run I know, just saying bama was our problem this year, not om.
    !00% correct. You've had some spot on posts today.

Bama killed us. Yeah, Ole miss got AJ but we knew that was gonna be tough. They didn't beat us on anybody head to head on anyone else except maybe that kid from WC but he's been committed to them forever. Have no idea how hard we even went after that kid.

vCash
    i still hate we lost Derrick Brown to AU - any opinion or insight on that one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Have we ever signed a DL duo better than Jeffery Simmons and Kobe Jones not to mention Marquisse Spencer from Greenwood? Great DL class this year.

T
    Absolutely great DL class and add them too fletcher and Mullins from last year. Not bad.

vCash
    Have y'all really stopped to think about how talented and deep our front 7 is right now? Look at the roster and who we picked up today. It's pretty exciting!

vCash
    i still hate AJ going to OM - I think he's going to be a stud and if that turns out true I'd just assume it be at Bama than have to watch it take place in Oxford.

vCash
    Two things -

1.) Hev - enough said. get rid of him.
    2.) Even though Ole Miss was 3rd behind us and Bama for several guys, they pull from a larger talent pool to offset those loses. We have no real fall back if we lose to Bama. We have to stop hoping all the in state guys will pick us and get out there and work other areas. Oh, and get rid of Hevesy for pete's sake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    i still hate we lost Derrick Brown to AU - any opinion or insight on that one?
    No. Just that we had no chance.

I will say, in my opinion, not any specific knowledge, that we dicked the dog on it not getting on him long ago.

I have a thought on this type of thing.

Hire a data nerd that is a die hard State guy just out of school that loves football. His job would be to keep up with former players, manager's, student trainer's from the football team. Cards at Christmas, on birthdays, births of children etc. Set up a network, with a flow of info.

Also to scour the top 400 recruits in America as Sophomores or whenever they rank them and look for ANY connection to State.

Use the network created and contacts to the staff's advantage.

That kid should have been top target for a long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Two things -

1.) Hev - enough said. get rid of him.
    2.) Even though Ole Miss was 3rd behind us and Bama for several guys, they pull from a larger talent pool to offset those loses. We have no real fall back if we lose to Bama. We have to stop hoping all the in state guys will pick us and get out there and work other areas. Oh, and get rid of Hevesy for pete's sake.
    Not gonna argue that, but the kids we did go up against them on, we pretty much won, except AJ. And we were behind to start with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    i still hate AJ going to OM - I think he's going to be a stud and if that turns out true I'd just assume it be at Bama than have to watch it take place in Oxford.
    Yes, but UNM has receivers coming out their ears anyway. He will only make them marginally better because receiver is not a big position of need for them. AJ actually had a better chance to jump on the field big time next year with us.

vCash
    Lashley let the process go to his head a little. He was committed then everybody came at him.

Kinda like the plain ole gal that was meek and nice as a sophmore and came back as a junior looking like a new woman and getting asked out and hit on by every dude on campus.

I think his head is still spinning. Too much blame being placed on Hev here in my opinion.

We were the O line man asking him to prom. Bama was the QB
    Well, I meant being PUBLICLY committed for more than a half hour. Anyone who is not publicly committed in my book is not really committed no matter what they are saying in private. Heck, some public commitments are fragile but they are better than no public commitment.