Thread: Last 2 SEC bowl tie ins

vCash

Last 2 SEC bowl tie ins

To give proper credit, shotgundawg on sps had me look at this in his thread about the Alamo Bowl. I looked at that John Solomon article (B'Ham bowl losing sponsor) and a John Pennington article saying all the bowl deals expire in '13. I link both of those and give my top 5 bowls I wish the SEC would get in on. I think my #1 is an absolute no brainier

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/0...vel-bowl-ties/

I would like to open debate on my most controversial pick of a bowl I think the SEC should get in on, The Mobile Bowl
    -mobile is a highly underrated town w/really good seafood and activities
    -Daulphin street is really cool
    -"Ladd Peebles is a dump" , while I agree with this, so is Legion field and the Indy Bowl. Mobile is a better town
    -Close enough to Gulf Shores that you could do a weekend beach condo if you wanted
    -It's a good proximity to most SEC schools,
    - I went to the mobile bowl in 2005 for USM vs Ohio and it was a blast. For the game, the surrounding area is well policed and the locals are friendly. We parked in some guys yard for 5 bucks. Never did we feel like it wasn't safe as some say Lad is

vCash
    Mobile, NOLA, & St. Pete way better than Birmingham

vCash
    If we don't get in on the N.O. Bowl after the contracts expire, I'll be extremely disappointed

vCash
    1. New Orleans Bowl- Obviously a great city and a good fan destination. We already have a tie-in here, though, so that pushes it down the list for me some. There's also the prestige factor, which is currently zero.

2. Beef O Brady- We already have three tie ins in Florida- Gator, Cap One, Outback. Also, it seems like after the SEC tourney in Tampa that everyone seemed to hate Tampa as a location. That was probably just MSU fans because it was so much farther.

3. Alamo- Would be cool to have the PAC-12 matchup, but as you said distance would be a concern. If the goal is to add a game in Texas, the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Houston would make sense, too, for another Big 12 matchup.

4. Godaddy.com- I agree with all of what you said, and a tie-in with the Sun Belt champ could be cool (I realize at this time Mobile doesn't necessarily get the conference champ). I can't really speak to the stadium being a dump, but so are the Liberty Bowl and Legion Field.

5. Belk- Another good choice. It's obviously not in a "footprint" state but it's certainly in the region. With the Big East the way it is, we could certainly supplant them when the tie-ins expire.

Why is there not a bowl game in Missouri? St. Louis would be a great bowl site, and there's not a game within several states. Kansas City would also be an option.

vCash
    I'm ALL for adding the Alamo Bowl against the Pac12 as a high-level matchup...but other than that?

2014(average year for SEC):
    1) SEC playoff(say hosted at Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl on this given yr)
    2) Champions/Sugar Bowl
    3) Orange Bowl(ACC vs highest ranked B1G, SEC, or Notre Dame available)
    4) Cotton Bowl
    5) Cap 1 Bowl
    6) Alamo/Outback Bowl
    7) Alamo/Outback Bowl
    8) Gator Bowl
    9) Music City Bowl
    10) Liberty Bowl

On the absolute worst year, we have 2 fewer teams represented here(not in Orange -- and lose our spot in Cotton to the "league of 5" school)...
    In the "best year", we will have 5 teams in the "new BCS" scenario -- with 2 in the playoffs -- meaning the Liberty gets SEC team #11...How many more tie-ins do we need?

ETA: Expansion to 16 puts all this talk back in play IMO...and we probably need 12 total tie-ins...
    Last edited by engie; 04-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    The OP is speaking of replacing the Birmingham and independence bowls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    The OP is speaking of replacing the Birmingham and independence bowls.
    I'm aware -- but those bowls are most likely going away anyway in the playoff. That's all I'm saying...

vCash
    There is always the possibility of picking up a better bowl like the Alamo or Belk and bumping the music and liberty down to 9 and 10. I'm ok w/that too but I think we need to get that lower bowl in Nola for sure