Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we now all agree Coach Wilson sucked?

vCash

Can we now all agree Coach Wilson sucked?

Now that Boyd is tearing it up in preseason and the way Banks and Slay are doing. We now know it was scheme on our defense and not players. Can we all just admit that Wilson was in over his head as the DC? IMO, the worst hire at DC Mullen ever had. I say good riddence sir and hope the Georgia fans enjoy him...will be a fun year for us on defense now that we have a real Defensive Coordinator in Coach Collins!

vCash
    it was a terrible scheme for the talent level. He's a good DL coach and a really good recruiter, but he just can't call a defense. It's an art. Some people have it and some people don't.

vCash
    I'd rather wait until I can see actual results on the field.

vCash
    It is Croom-sickening to think about. We had two Fred Smoots and studs on the DL. We should have dominated. Instead, we were one of the most passive defenses I've seen.

I'm ready for kickoff and Collins' mayhem.

vCash
    I have a hard time even giving him credit with being a good dl coach with his decision to continuously play cherrington. He couldn't get off a block of a cheerleader with a pork chop dangling behind her.

vCash
    Who disagreed that Wilson sucked? I thought we were all in agreement that his read-and-react defense was awful.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Yeah, I know but I just wanted to say it again now that we are seeing the guys that were in that defense last year do well in the NFL preseason. That defense should have been so much better then it was under Wilson. It is almost sickening. In fact, his performance as a DC led to all the media and some of our fans thinking that we won't do well this year. I think one of the biggest differences and why we will be successful this year will be due to promoting Collins and hiring Townsend on defense and hiring Gonzalez on offense. This is part of the factor why I think we win 7-8 games this year. We made great offseason decisions on coaching replacements.

vCash
    I echo those that say that Chris was a good d-line coach. We took a gamble on giving him the DC job after one year with him working with Manny and it just didn't work out. Dan has corrected the issue, or at least has made an attempt to correct the issue with results pending this fall, but I feel pretty optmistic about Geoff.

If Chris has been able to spend more time with Manny, who knows what might have been?

And as you can tell from reading between the lines, I think the original plan was for Chris to kind of learn from Manny and I think Dan was expecting Diaz to be around for more than a year, but also to be hired away at some point.

vCash
    yeah, we had a combination of corners that were better than smoot/bean and we were playing ten yards off the receiver.

Banned
    vCash
    I agree, but remember this:

"A good coach with good players will win. A bad coach with good players will win. But a good coach with bad players will get your ass beat." - Joe Kines circa 2007.

Wilson sucked, but you cannot dismiss the fact that something jimmy and joe wise was missing from the defense last year. It wasn't ALL coaching. Perhaps it was the wrong personnel, or just a big dropoff in talent after Slay, Banks and Boyd. Maybe it was the fact that Cherrington played over the others, or that Jones was in trouble most of the time. Maybe it was that Eulls was playing out of position. We can all pretty much agree the issue was the DL, since we got ZERO pass rush.

And yes, I am worried about that same problem this next year. Maybe it takes care of itself.

vCash
    I posted this the first year MD was gone and was bombarded with posts saying I did not anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post

"A good coach with good players will win. A bad coach with good players will win. But a good coach with bad players will get your ass beat." - Joe Kines circa 2007.

Wilson sucked, but you cannot dismiss the fact that something jimmy and joe wise was missing from the defense last year. It wasn't ALL coaching. Perhaps it was the wrong personnel, or just a big dropoff in talent after Slay, Banks and Boyd. Maybe it was the fact that Cherrington played over the others, or that Jones was in trouble most of the time. Maybe it was that Eulls was playing out of position. We can all pretty much agree the issue was the DL, since we got ZERO pass rush.

And yes, I am worried about that same problem this next year. Maybe it takes care of itself.
    This. BeastMan listed a few names that were playing out of position and why shuffling them around alone will make the defense better.

http://3rdand57.com/why-msus-defense-will-be-better/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully01 View Post
    Now that Boyd is tearing it up in preseason and the way Banks and Slay are doing. We now know it was scheme on our defense and not players. Can we all just admit that Wilson was in over his head as the DC? IMO, the worst hire at DC Mullen ever had. I say good riddence sir and hope the Georgia fans enjoy him...will be a fun year for us on defense now that we have a real Defensive Coordinator in Coach Collins!
    He wasn't a terrible hire IMO as assistant D-Coordinator, just a terrible promotion. There's an implied obligation with these "assistant or Co-" positions that we need to stay away from. It creates disgruntled workers if a real hire is made also. Along with scheme-implementation, the effort given this year by Evans and James will be a good measuring tool of Collins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post

Cherrington was the problem Jimmy and Joe wise. Not his fault though- we should have played PJ, Virges, Quay, and James more than we did.

vCash
    Our problems on D were:

Cherrington playing period
    Eulls playing out of position
    Skinner playing out of position
    Broomfield playing out of position
    Complete lack of aggressiveness in calls by DC

We would have been better letting the underclassmen fighting for the other DT spot during games
    We would have been better rotating Skinner and Lawrence than playing Skinner at WLB
    We would have been better playing Broomfield at Nickel and playing a legit SS
    We needed much more aggressive blitzes and more press coverage
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Wilson was a good DL coach & a good recruiter. But was not ready for the DC job. If you ask Fletcher who made him a premiere guy here....he'll tell you Wilson. Boyd, he'll tell you the same. But again he just wasn't ready for all the pressure of the DC job. Plain and simple. He will be a good hire @ UGA. But Turner was a good hire for us too.

vCash

Under Wilson...

..our defense avoided contact, unless it was knocking the shit out of somebody already out of bounds, which lead to personal file penalties.

Under Wilson our defense stood around & watched, hoping somebody slightly less lazy would shed a block & make the tackle.

In short, under Wilson our defense looked like a bunch of scared pussies.

MSU is known for hitting people. Not standing around watching some idiot RB race past everybody for a 15 yd gain.

I hope this new guy gets this.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    I said in another thread buried in a drinker rant. Wilson was a Croomesque defensive coach. **** both of those pieces of shit.

vCash

No. He was in a position too early. We are a school where

very small weaknesses are exposed. We did quite well defensively in 2011.

He wasn't ready. But he will wind up a good defensive coordinator one day for his experience at MSu.

I'd say we need to let it drop on Croom, Wilson and any others we've been trashing on. They served their place and time and we are experiencing success like the school has never known.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    **** that they sucked. They sucked when they were here and they sucked when they leave.