Thread: Has anyone else seen a black panther, puma or cougar here in Mississippi.......

vCash

Has anyone else seen a black panther, puma or cougar here in Mississippi.......

We were rabbit hunting rural Oktibbeha County 9:00 yesterday morning a Large Black animal ran out of the woods about 75 yards from us. i grabbed a Rifle with a scope off the 4-Wheeler and shouted it stopped and looked at us. There was no doubt what it was as i have seen many pictures and films. It was maybe 40-50 lbs the size of a coyote. Solid Black with extremely long tail this PUMA was seen by one other person who hunts with us but nobody believed him. Now I Do! tried to snap a picture with phone but it ran off across a field into the woods. ANyone else seen or photographed one this far north in ms before?

vCash
    my oldest daughter saw a panther hunting in Pelahatchie bout two weeks ago.

vCash
    my brother swears on his life he saw one in Northern Itawamba County.

vCash
    I've seen plenty of cougars*****
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    It was tan in color but I saw one 5-6 years ago at Lake George WMA. I would guess it was in the 40-50 pound range also. Not as big as the cats you see out west.

vCash
    Maybe doesn't count but around 91-92 was on the Trace heading north and just came out of the trees were there cotton fields on both sides of the road (or was then) in Alabama (Colbert county) and this panther loped across the road. Was shocked. My wife said "that is the funniest looking deer I've ever seen".

Had a really long tail or I might have wondered what was wrong with that deer.

vCash
    One of the guys on my nwtf board with me showed me some on a game camera. I've also spoke to a game warden who has seen one. I use to have my doubts on bears as well until my former boss, who hunts a few miles away in pearl river county, showed my pictures of what looks to be the same bear in his food plot for several years

vCash
    No. There has never ever been a proven sighting of a black panther/puma/cougar. Ask a MSU wildlife student. They can get this same answer from the instructors at State. I spoke in length to a scientist that got his masters and PHD studying mountain lions. He informed me that while not completely impossible, there has never been one caught on camera, trail cam, killed by a hunter, found dead, run over by a car, bred in captivity, etc.........