Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whole lotta discontent here with Mullen after a 9 win season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    People seem to be forgetting that we have only had six 9-win seasons. Mullen has led us to three of those seasons.
    Yes, that's nice and all, but there's no reason we shouldn't be wanting and expecting a little more every now and then. As a few others have noted, we don't seem to be moving forward at all. Hell, Mullen even appears less than enthusiastic much of the time. Other than Auburn and LSU last year, I can't think of one single win within the past few years that makes me hopeful, and the way we finished last year still makes me want to kick a hole in my wall when I think about it. That finish squashed any excitement that I had at the beginning of the season. The team just seems stuck. Recruiting has been nothing but a damn headache and 9 times out of 10 we played like we would rather be playing checkers in the really important games.

9 win seasons are fine but I wouldn't mind a season every now and then where Mullen fields a team that we KNOW is ready to crack some skulls and where Mullen doesn't look like he has spotted a ghost or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It's been a big part of why we have never sustained success in football. We have had coaches come in and do well early on but as soon as there is a downturn, be it big or small, a vocal part of the fanbase jumps off the bandwagon and works according to their stature to bring the coach down so we can move in to the next one. It cascades from there. With most of our previous guys the up years we modest enough that a"downturn" brought you into really negative territory pretty quickly. That isn't the case at all this time but good lord to listen to some you would think we finished 4-9 instead of 9-4. It's the same old crap except this time it's over a coach who just won 19 games over two consecutive seasons for the first time in school history. It's crazy. It's delusional FAR beyond anything I have ever seen from the Confederates. We would be laughing and egging them on if the Confederates were doing it. Rightly so.
    That's Croom approved***

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Can we dead the $4million dollar talk? Every coach in the West makes that so he's not making any crazy amount of money. If you don't like the neighborhood we live in then let's move out.
    How many other coaches in the west appear to be looking to get out of their current situation? I'm not saying that's the case, but there's that perception outside the program that he will eventually leave for greener pastures and that he's looking to get out. He hasn't done anything to squash those rumors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Bowl season didn't tell people what a "politically correct" joke the polls are?
    LOL so you agree with the rest?

Regardless on how politically correct the polls are, it hurts our perception if we can't get ranked with the best SEC QB.

vCash
    People are ready to see the transition from "good program" to "elite program." It' doesn't happen this quickly. It took Mike Vick at VaTech and that's about what it'll take for us. We need a serious injection of top tier talent to take that leap. Look at what CDM did with Tebow, Hernandez, Dempsy, Harvin, Pouncey's, etc... at Florida. If he has the tools, he will win big. We don't have the horses to run with LSU and Bama yet, A&M or OM is close to being out of our league on a talent level. People see that and it concerns them. What's funny though is that no one should be pointing the finger at Mullen. They should be pointing the finger at our fans. We don't do our part in making this the most attractive school in the country to 5 star athletes. Until we do, there will be a talent gap and CDM will be playing poker with a shittier hand than Saban, Miles, Freeze, Malzahn, and Sumlin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    People are ready to see the transition from "good program" to "elite program." It' doesn't happen this quickly. It took Mike Vick at VaTech and that's about what it'll take for us. We need a serious injection of top tier talent to take that leap. Look at what CDM did with Tebow, Hernandez, Dempsy, Harvin, Pouncey's, etc... at Florida. If he has the tools, he will win big. We don't have the horses to run with LSU and Bama yet, A&M or OM is close to being out of our league on a talent level. People see that and it concerns them. What's funny though is that no one should be pointing the finger at Mullen. They should be pointing the finger at our fans. We don't do our part in making this the most attractive school in the country to 5 star athletes. Until we do, there will be a talent gap and CDM will be playing poker with a shittier hand than Saban, Miles, Freeze, Malzahn, and Sumlin.
    Please explain further what MSU fans can do to be more attractive?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BossDawg View Post
    Yes, that's nice and all, but there's no reason we shouldn't be wanting and expecting a little more every now and then. As a few others have noted, we don't seem to be moving forward at all. Hell, Mullen even appears less than enthusiastic much of the time. Other than Auburn and LSU last year, I can't think of one single win within the past few years that makes me hopeful, and the way we finished last year still makes me want to kick a hole in my wall when I think about it. That finish squashed any excitement that I had at the beginning of the season. The team just seems stuck. Recruiting has been nothing but a damn headache and 9 times out of 10 we played like we would rather be playing checkers in the really important games.

9 win seasons are fine but I wouldn't mind a season every now and then where Mullen fields a team that we KNOW is ready to crack some skulls and where Mullen doesn't look like he has spotted a ghost or something.
    Every now and then, so from last year to this year is "every now and then"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Please explain further what MSU fans can do to be more attractive?
    Drive BMW's and drink cough syrup at the tailgate.***

When a kid arrives in Oxford for his official visit every single person in town knows who he is, where he's going, why he's there, and treats him like a rock star. Starkville don't roll out the red carpet like Oxford does.

vCash

When a kid arrives in Oxford for his official visit every single person in town knows who he is, where he's going, why he's there, and treats him like a rock star. Starkville don't roll out the red carpet like Oxford does.
    Come on now....everyone knows you don't drink cough syrup, you sip it.

Is Starkville still trying to push the whole retirement community thing?

vCash

Yep. I was in Oxford when they had their big recruiting weekend w/ Chris Jones, RN, Treadwell. They all got on stage at the library. I've never seen football recruits at Starkville.

vCash
    Ugh...but acting that way is so embarrassing. Well I guess not embarrassing for current students.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    Ugh...but acting that way is so embarrassing. Well I guess not embarrassing for current students.
    It's awful and I can understand why Hev hates recruiting. It's pretty disgusting, but it's the price of winning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Actually every SEC fanbase does NOT get upset at a coach when he just set a two season record for victories at their school. Forward Rebels appeard to gain steam in the middle of a freaking train wreck, not at the end of a historic run of victories. When we get to the sustained over time level of an Alabama, Auburn, or Georgia then we MIGHT not look silly complaining about winning 19 games in two seasons. Seeing what we have been it's insane.
    Every fan base but Vandy and UK does. UGA fans have been bitching about Richt for the past seven years at least. The only reason his seat hasn't been hot is because he's had a supportive AD and the right boosters supporting him. Auburn ran off Tubberville, Ole Miss ran off Cutcliffe, there has been a vocal contingent of LSU fans wanting Miles gone basically from teh day he was hired, UF fans turned on Meyers starting with Tebow's last year, UT fans wanted Fulmer gone, Arkansas fans wanted Nutt gone, etc.

Having a disproportionate number of fans that idiotically want to fire a coach for not being perfect is not a problem MSU has. We have them just like every other fan base has, but they are not particularly bad. Sherrill didn't get to go out on a high note, but he was given a lot of time to try, Stansbury made it longer here than he would at most programs, Crooms made it five years longer here than he would have anywhere else, Polk got to stick around a long time. That's just not a problem we have had.

vCash
    I think it has to do with losing to Ole Miss two years than anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Yep. I was in Oxford when they had their big recruiting weekend w/ Chris Jones, RN, Treadwell. They all got on stage at the library. I've never seen football recruits at Starkville.
    Interesting....

You can thank Kyle Veazey and the CL for shutting down our "recruiters" from The Pony.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    LOL so you agree with the rest?

Regardless on how politically correct the polls are, it hurts our perception if we can't get ranked with the best SEC QB.
    No. I think we're a top 20 team right this moment -- and all of the computer metrics out there seem to agree with me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Every now and then, so from last year to this year is "every now and then"
    I don't count last year as "every now and then". We finished the season like we had better things to do other than play football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Every fan base but Vandy and UK does. UGA fans have been bitching about Richt for the past seven years at least. The only reason his seat hasn't been hot is because he's had a supportive AD and the right boosters supporting him. Auburn ran off Tubberville, Ole Miss ran off Cutcliffe, there has been a vocal contingent of LSU fans wanting Miles gone basically from teh day he was hired, UF fans turned on Meyers starting with Tebow's last year, UT fans wanted Fulmer gone, Arkansas fans wanted Nutt gone, etc.

Having a disproportionate number of fans that idiotically want to fire a coach for not being perfect is not a problem MSU has. We have them just like every other fan base has, but they are not particularly bad. Sherrill didn't get to go out on a high note, but he was given a lot of time to try, Stansbury made it longer here than he would at most programs, Crooms made it five years longer here than he would have anywhere else, Polk got to stick around a long time. That's just not a problem we have had.
    No, they don't. Not after a year where they set a two season record for wins they don't. It doesn't happen. The ONLY situation in MSU history that compares to what we have now was under Allyn McKeen. We still haven't recovered from what we did to him, although we are finally close to doing so. It seems we may be about to do it again. My Dad told me how that went down. It's remarkably similar to what's going on now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BossDawg View Post
    I don't count last year as "every now and then". We finished the season like we had better things to do other than play football.
    So a 10 win season at MSU, or most anywhere else, isn't a good one then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    People seem to be forgetting that we have only had six 9-win seasons. Mullen has led us to three of those seasons.
    also remember we play a 12th game now. so with out that Mullen would be winning 8 games.