Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole lotta discontent here with Mullen after a 9 win season

vCash

Whole lotta discontent here with Mullen after a 9 win season

What if we had an avg class of 6.5 in the country the previous 4 classes, presently #7, and hired the biggest named DC available last year? Would you be happy then? Well that's what auburn did and they've had a 15-11 record the last 2 years while we've been 19-7.

I want us to recruit better on the oline and speed on defense, but I'm not ready to scrap what we've been doing completely bc we've lost our last 2 egg bowls... After all, losing those eggs is why we're melting

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I hate to lose, but I'm more pissed about the way we've been losing. The inability to be physical and the lack of emotion really bothers me.

vCash
    I agree we looked soft on both sides of the ball this year. Hopefully the fire will have been re-lit under Mullen and we will see a more physical team next year. I am enjoying 9 and 10 win seasons though, hopefully we can keep the wins coming through the transition year.

vCash
    People seem to be forgetting that we have only had six 9-win seasons. Mullen has led us to three of those seasons.

vCash
    Although I'm still a big Mullen fan, I do think a lot of our weaknesses as a program at this point can be traced back to his stubbornness. However, he's not stupid, and I believe he'll eventually realize that he can't beat certain issues his way and start to make changes. Hopefully that comes sooner than later. And I do think there's a silver lining in it; if he's taken us to seven straight bowls and winning 6-9 games every year now, just imagine where we'll be if he can admit and work out these apparent philosophical flaws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    People seem to be forgetting that we have only had six 9-win seasons. Mullen has led us to three of those seasons.
    Yep, if we all believe it really hard the belk bowl can just become our SEC championship. Since most people are so comfortable with 9 win seasons. No reason to try to get any better

vCash
    I don't think anyone is forgetting that, but what would you rather the attitude of the fan base be right now?

In the same way that we only had 3 nine win seasons before Mullen got here, we also never had all the money we have now, or a 60,000+ seat stadium, or was on TV as much as we are now, or the national profile that we have now.

In the SEC, if you aren't moving forward, you are absolutely moving backwards. I don't think anyone wants to fire Mullen or anything like that, but people want to see the program moving forward. I also think that losing 3 or 4 SEC home games this year has people not really enjoying the 9 win season, maybe like they should, because we never got to enjoy a big home win this year. I think people also feel like the program has peaked unless philosophical changes are made.

vCash
    THIS. Some of you can't see the forest for the trees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think anyone is forgetting that, but what would you rather the attitude of the fan base be right now?

In the same way that we only had 3 nine win seasons before Mullen got here, we also never had all the money we have now, or a 60,000+ seat stadium, or was on TV as much as we are now, or the national profile that we have now.

In the SEC, if you aren't moving forward, you are absolutely moving backwards. I don't think anyone wants to fire Mullen or anything like that, but people want to see the program moving forward. I also think that losing 3 or 4 SEC home games this year has people not really enjoying the 9 win season, maybe like they should, because we never got to enjoy a big home win this year. I think people also feel like the program has peaked unless philosophical changes are made.
    The overwhelmingly negative attitude is going to kill the program, again. MSU fans aren't really in their comfort zone unless they are bitching and moaning. It's all we know. Time to try something new for a change.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 01-04-2016 at 09:46 AM.

vCash
    I'm
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

In the same way that we only had 3 nine win season before Mullen got here, we also never had all the money we have now, or a 60,000+ seat stadium, or was on TV as much as we are now, or the national profile that we have now.

In the SEC, if you are moving forward, you are absolutely moving backwards. I don't think anyone wants to fire Mullen or anything like that, but people want to see the program moving forward. I also think that losing 3 or 4 SEC home games this year has people not really enjoying the 9 win season, maybe like they should, because we never got to enjoy a big home win this year. I think people also feel like the program has peaked unless philosophical changes are made.
    Thank you! I'm so sick of the ****ing contentment around here. Let's be honest, who was our best win this year? A train wreck auburn team? A 7-5 pretty good Arkansas team that almost beat us? I'm happy with 9 win seasons but we've got to keep moving forward to stay relevant. The only 2 teams behind us in recruiting right now... Vandy and Missouri.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    Yep, if we all believe it really hard the belk bowl can just become our SEC championship. Since most people are so comfortable with 9 win seasons. No reason to try to get any better
    So we should fire Mullen?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    THIS. Some of you can't see the forest for the trees.
    Mr. Contentment himself ladies and gentlemen

vCash
    I'm

Thank you! I'm so sick of the ****ing contentment around here. Let's be honest, who was our best win this year? A train wreck auburn team? A 7-5 pretty good Arkansas team that almost beat us? I'm happy with 9 win seasons but we've got to keep moving forward to stay relevant. The only 2 teams behind us in recruiting right now... Vandy and Missouri.
    And auburn has prison raped us in recruiting, so obviously recruiting better doesn't guarantee crap. We just need to tweek our formula some imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So we should fire Mullen?
    Did I say that? You're reading comprehension sucks if that's what you got out of that. I like Mullen but he has to sack up and make some hard changes. Number 1 being send Hevesey's ass packing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    And auburn has prison raped us in recruiting, so obviously recruiting better doesn't guarantee crap. We just need to tweek our formula some imo
    You're pretty naive if you think Auburn is gonna stay down with the amount of talent they are bringing in. But yeh having good players is overrated **

vCash
    My discontent is based on the team we had. We had the pieces to compete for the West except for the OL- and with Jr's or older starting- there's no excuse in being that shitty upfront. Our D was stuffing Bama for the 1st half- and the O couldn't give them any help at all.

2016 won't have the same disappointment- we're not supposed to be that good
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Did I say that? You're reading comprehension sucks if that's what you got out of that. I like Mullen but he has to sack up and make some hard changes. Number 1 being send Hevesey's ass packing.
    I sure he'll take "you're" suggestion to heart

vCash
    Mr. Contentment himself ladies and gentlemen
    Poster child.

Since when does acknowledging that at MSU a 9 win season is a rarity and is a great season mean you are content. One of the KEY ingredients to getting better is being able to recognize when you ARE better. In the ups and downs of football program progress we are light years ahead of where we were 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 01-04-2016 at 09:51 AM.

vCash
    You can try to get better without being stupid. You can also enjoy a season that wasn't perfect and enjoy a football program that is not national championship caliber while still trying to get better.

There are things about the program and Mullen that are very frustrating right now, but there are a lot of things Mullen has done so well with that MSU fans take them for granted and don't even appreciate. Overall, Mullen has us in a good place. It sucks that OL recruiting has probably set our ceiling for the foreseeable future below the SEC Championship game, but if that stops you from enjoying college football, maybe being a sports fan isn't the best route for you.

vCash
    You're pretty naive if you think Auburn is gonna stay down with the amount of talent they are bringing in. But yeh having good players is overrated **
    Didn't realize we had no good players. Go figure