Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering our fans (hating on players), and Farmdog's post on outside perception...

Banned
    vCash

Considering our fans (hating on players), and Farmdog's post on outside perception...

...I just got to thinking. We wonder why everybody thinks we're Ole Miss, and we wonder why no one wants to give MSU any respect. Think about this, we don't demand it! I'd say only 15% of our fanbase PROUDLY wears our colors around, flying flags, putting shit on our cars, etc. We're too busy trying to fit in, and trying to 'be a good sport' when some Alabama fan condescendingly gives us a compliment about how cute our program is or something.

Croom was right that we have to start having more pride in MSU. No matter if we win or lose, we still should act like MSU is the place to be. Everybody else does it, why not us? I was rolling along the other day outside Birmingham and I saw two boys, probably about 7 or 8 years old, on bikes. One had an MSU shirt on, the other one Alabama. I rolled down the window and told the MSU boy that he had a good looking shirt and he needed to tell the other boy to get rid of his and get the right colors. Boy doesn't know me from anyone but he will remember that there's another MSU fan out there that told him his shirt was cool. Maybe he'll wear it with a little more pride now. These are the little things that MSU fans EVERYWHERE can do, even if you can't attend games and gives gobs of money to the Bulldog Club.

You people out here that think this sort of thing doesn't make a difference, you are idiots. It does. Especially outside the state of Mississippi. Just like social media makes a difference.

vCash
    +1

vCash
    There is confusion because the University of Mississippi insists on being called by an ambiguous nickname which doesn't obviously indicate one school are the other.

Name another D1 school that calls itself a nickname. I think there is not one.

Senior Member Ghost of Hank Flick's Avatar
    vCash
    Nice signature Flab, and I agree with the nickname. People outside the state simply do not know what ole miss' real name is. I can sort of understand the confusion unless you are a big time football fan that pays attention nationally. That is no excuse for ESPN though.

Banned
    vCash
    This may be true but it's a cop-out. We should still be doing our part.

And besides, Auburn/Alabama and Clemson/South Carolina don't have that problem. If anything, 'Ole Miss' should make it more distinguishable than Mississippi/Mississippi State.

vCash
    Auburn & Alabama don't share the name, "Alabama". Clemson and South Carolina don't share any words either.

Neither Michigan nor Michigan State is called "Ole Mich". Neither Colorado or Colorado State is called "Ole Co". Arizona, Arizona State, "Ole Az" (but is one called "Zona"? hmm...) . yada yada yada.

You suck, Ole Miss.

Senior Member Ghost of Hank Flick's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post
    This may be true but it's a cop-out. We should still be doing our part.

And besides, Auburn/Alabama and Clemson/South Carolina don't have that problem. If anything, 'Ole Miss' should make it more distinguishable than Mississippi/Mississippi State.
    The name Clemson is clearly different than South Carolina. Auburn is clearly different from Alabama. People know ole miss is a nickname, the just aren't sure whether it belongs to Mississippi or Mississippi State.

vCash
    I was in Chicago for a conference during the CWS. Of course the Blackahawks were in the middle of the Stanley Cup, so when I fell up in the lounge with my M-State shirt and demanded they put at least one of the TVs on the CWS, I didn't really make any friends.

I pretty much sat by myself for a while hollering at the umpire and cheering my dogs on until a few fellas from Tulsa, OK came over and started watching with me. Those guys usually drive to Omaha every year for the CWS, no matter who is playing. Knowledgeable fans of the game but not Mississippi State. I had to school them on our players and University. They seemed to be impressed.

You just gotta make a stand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post
    ...I just got to thinking. We wonder why everybody thinks we're Ole Miss, and we wonder why no one wants to give MSU any respect. Think about this, we don't demand it! I'd say only 15% of our fanbase PROUDLY wears our colors around, flying flags, putting shit on our cars, etc. We're too busy trying to fit in, and trying to 'be a good sport' when some Alabama fan condescendingly gives us a compliment about how cute our program is or something.

Croom was right that we have to start having more pride in MSU. No matter if we win or lose, we still should act like MSU is the place to be. Everybody else does it, why not us? I was rolling along the other day outside Birmingham and I saw two boys, probably about 7 or 8 years old, on bikes. One had an MSU shirt on, the other one Alabama. I rolled down the window and told the MSU boy that he had a good looking shirt and he needed to tell the other boy to get rid of his and get the right colors. Boy doesn't know me from anyone but he will remember that there's another MSU fan out there that told him his shirt was cool. Maybe he'll wear it with a little more pride now. These are the little things that MSU fans EVERYWHERE can do, even if you can't attend games and gives gobs of money to the Bulldog Club.

You people out here that think this sort of thing doesn't make a difference, you are idiots. It does. Especially outside the state of Mississippi. Just like social media makes a difference.
    Stranger danger!

But seriously, some of us may be too afraid of coming off as arrogant. I, on the other hand, never leave the state without a maroon shirt on.

vCash
    Living in No Calif, most sports folks know the difference. I also proudly fly my M-State flag everyday in front of my house. Interesting an Admiral I worked for years ago - 10, emailed during the CWS to say go Dawgs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Hank Flick View Post
    The name Clemson is clearly different than South Carolina. Auburn is clearly different from Alabama. People know ole miss is a nickname, the just aren't sure whether it belongs to Mississippi or Mississippi State.
    And believe me, outside of the South, there are tons of people who don't even know what state Auburn and Clemson are in. So it does help them with confusion relative to the other state school but it hurts them with locale recognition.

vCash
    Good stuff.

vCash
    Goat you will be happy to know I am leaving today on a week long baseball road trip with stops at several minor league parks in Ohio (buddy manages A affiliate of the Indians) as well as Indians game and finishing off at Wrigley. You will not be disappointed in my choices of apparel for the games..although my buddy going with me will (Ole Miss).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    There is confusion because the University of Mississippi insists on being called by an ambiguous nickname which doesn't obviously indicate one school are the other.

Name another D1 school that calls itself a nickname. I think there is not one.
    We need another billboard.

WE are not oLE mISS!

vCash
    It is funny how here in SC most everybody wears burgundy or orange. Sadly most of them don't know anything about the team or even who they are playing week to week, they just wear it proudly day in and day out cause its the cool thing to do. I feel we are just way behind in the "coolness" factor of wearing our colors and supporting our school. It's improving, just not fast enough.

Banned
    vCash
    Great point on the coolness. Our goal needs to be making ourselves a destination school for 1 - All of MS, including the southern and coastal parts, 2 - Birmingham (similar to how you see Auburn 35% of the time in Atlanta), 3 - Memphis, 4 - Mobile. MSU fans shouldn't be seen as 'weird' or 'outsiders' in any of those 4 places.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmdawg View Post
    It is funny how here in SC most everybody wears burgundy or orange. Sadly most of them don't know anything about the team or even who they are playing week to week, they just wear it proudly day in and day out cause its the cool thing to do. I feel we are just way behind in the "coolness" factor of wearing our colors and supporting our school. It's improving, just not fast enough.
    It's a shame that in Columbus, there are Crimson and "A's" everyfreakin' where....

vCash

People...

..outside the SEC gets us mixed-up with Ole Miss (and visa-versa) because both school bear the same historical legacy of athletic mediocrity.

For example, if we would have won the NC in baseball 2 months ago that would have gone a long way to distinguish MSU from OM. ESPN would suddenly see MSU as a national champion, hence they would take further steps to separate us from OM.

Or if we ever played in the Final 4 or a BCS bowl game MSU would gain more national notoriety hence better name recognition.

But since both MSU & OM constantly flounder in the big 3 men's sports, to anybody living in Utah or Connecticut we are both brothers by different mothers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    ..outside the SEC gets us mixed-up with Ole Miss (and visa-versa) because both school bear the same historical legacy of athletic mediocrity.

For example, if we would have won the NC in baseball 2 months ago that would have gone a long way to distinguish MSU from OM. ESPN would suddenly see MSU as a national champion, hence they would take further steps to separate us from OM.

Or if we ever played in the Final 4 or a BCS bowl game MSU would gain more national notoriety hence better name recognition.

But since both MSU & OM constantly flounder in the big 3 men's sports, to anybody living in Utah or Connecticut we are both brothers by different mothers.
    Pretty sure we've done that...

vCash
    I think the Maroon Friday thing helps. Every Friday, whether you live in Jackson or Saskatchewan, put on your MSU shirt. (Then do it again on Saturday because it's game day). This has really caught on in Starkville, especially during football season, but I also noticed several MSU shirts in Florence, AL a few weeks ago on a Friday.

Other little things like putting an M-State sticker on your car or hanging a flag on your porch help too.