Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a pistol question guys...

vCash

Need help with a pistol question guys...

I'm looking to buy a pistol for conceal/carry purposes, and to have a little fun at the range...but primarily for personal protection.

I am looking for something fairly inexpensive but the most bang for my buck. I really seem to like the reviews and analysis of the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm....but I have no idea if that's the caliber and style I would need. My father-in-law has a 9mm & likes the size & caliber, but I'm more of a deer hunter and have never owned a pistol.

So...

Do you guys know anything about the quality of the gun I mentioned above? It has amazing reviews & sells at Academy for $385.00. Or do you recommend something else?

Do you know of a better place to purchase price-wise? Academy seemed to be cheaper than even most online stores, at least for that gun anyway.

Would I be ok looking at used pistols, so I could get a little better quality for a lower price? Or would you only buy new?

Any advice and info is appreciated. I'd really like to stay in the $400.00 or less range. Again, this is for mostly close up personal protection for me and my family.

Thanks!

vCash
    A lot of times those 9mm are still a little large to conceal, but with that smiths are good weapons. Ruger has a compact 9mm model Lc9. It's a good weapon and would be smaller than that smith. Lots of good 380's out there that are way more concealable. Smith and Ruger have real good 380's. My favorite is a Smith model 36 Chiefs special 38 special for conceal. Not thick or heavy but will kill graveyard dead.

vCash
    I would definitely recommend the shield in 9mm. The 9mm is much better than a .380 at actually stopping a "threat", while holding more rounds than say a .45. You won't find many bad reviews of the Shield, because it's tough to beat in that price range. If price weren't an issue, there are a few others that we could discuss, but it's still hard to argue against the shield. I have also noticed that academy always has a great price on the Shields for some reason. I say go for it and you won't regret it.

ETA: If you decide to spend a little more, pick up a Glock 43. That will be my next purchase.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 12-10-2015 at 09:04 PM.

vCash
    I may be able to help. Pm me.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Had a cop tell a friend of mine they prefer the 40's. They said the 9's didn't have the desired knock down on some one hooped up on whatever. They tried the 45 but it had too much recoil and didn't have the magazine capacity. The 40 gained favor as it had knockdown closer to the 45 but the recoil and mag capacity of a 9.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Had a cop tell a friend of mine they prefer the 40's. They said the 9's didn't have the desired knock down on some one hooped up on whatever. They tried the 45 but it had too much recoil and didn't have the magazine capacity. The 40 gained favor as it had knockdown closer to the 45 but the recoil and mag capacity of a 9.
    I have to disagree with this. The modern 9mm rounds are just as effective as .40, without the snappy recoil and usually higher capacity. The FBI switched back to 9mm from .40 for a reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'm looking to buy a pistol for conceal/carry purposes, and to have a little fun at the range...but primarily for personal protection.

I am looking for something fairly inexpensive but the most bang for my buck. I really seem to like the reviews and analysis of the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm....but I have no idea if that's the caliber and style I would need. My father-in-law has a 9mm & likes the size & caliber, but I'm more of a deer hunter and have never owned a pistol.

So...

Do you guys know anything about the quality of the gun I mentioned above? It has amazing reviews & sells at Academy for $385.00. Or do you recommend something else?

Do you know of a better place to purchase price-wise? Academy seemed to be cheaper than even most online stores, at least for that gun anyway.

Would I be ok looking at used pistols, so I could get a little better quality for a lower price? Or would you only buy new?

Any advice and info is appreciated. I'd really like to stay in the $400.00 or less range. Again, this is for mostly close up personal protection for me and my family.

Thanks!
    You can't go wrong with the Shield 9mm. It's a really good gun. Another along those lines is a Glock 43. Bought one a couple of months ago and love it.

vCash
    I am a Glock fan. For concealed carry, a G43 without a doubt.

vCash
    Shield 9mm. You can't beat it for concealed carry. I own several CCW's. The Shield in 9mm is by far the best all around carry gun in my opinion.

I carry other guns from time to time, but if I could only carry one from now on, it would be my Shield.

Go with the 9mm. 147 grain federal HST hollow point will do anything a .40 will do. It's much more pleasant to shoot and ammo is cheaper and usually more available.

With all that said, only YOU can determine which gun is best for you. Hell, I carry a full size Springfield 1911 every now and then. I just love guns. The important thing is that you carry. Always carry!!!!! You can't decide when you will need it.

vCash
    Dang guys, I REALLY appreciate all of these quick responses. It's always good to know that your research was pointing you in the right direction. I feel pretty good about the Shield after reading these responses...but I will definitely take all other advice into consideration as well. Please keep the info & advice coming....

vCash

So...

Thanks!

I have the 40 Caliber version of that gun I bought a few years ago.. Personally, I regret buying it, not completely, but a little... enough to wish I would've gotten a different gun though. I didn't know much about pistols either (deer hunter), and went with what another gun owner recommended for a good value, and for the same use as you. The gun is really light and feels good in your hand, but also has a whole lot of give in the trigger and kicks pretty hard. The 9mm is probably better suited for that style gun since the kick would be less, but I don't know for sure.

I still don't really know what I wish I would've done differently, so I'm not recommending the 9, or recommending it... just saying my experience.

vCash
    I JUST sold a basically brand new M&P 9mm.

I can highly recommend them. You will be satisfied with it. Had to sell something, and it's the only pistol I owned that wasn't a family heirloom.

vCash
    Dang guys, I REALLY appreciate all of these quick responses. It's always good to know that your research was pointing you in the right direction. I feel pretty good about the Shield after reading these responses...but I will definitely take all other advice into consideration as well. Please keep the info & advice coming....
    need more specifics - if it's for hunting check the regs... I know in GA. regs state that a legal handgun for deer hunting had to generate 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yds and that ruled out almost every thing except 44mag & higher - that rules out 9mm, 40 cal, 357 mag (except for a dangerously hot load which walks due to to much pressure) ..... so hunting I would say 44mag which aint cheap but affordable models are out there

personal protection - I can almost assure you that you won't need 15 rounds .... I can assure you that stopping power will be very desirable - therefore either the 40 cal or better yet the 45 acp which is very comfortable / concealable
    and the size of hole of the barrel will create a much better visual effect (take my word on this) ..... however, not much of what I'm talking about is cheap - if you have never bought a handgun then treat yourself and do it right ...... if you look around enough pawn shops you can find some decent deals but always insist on looking at the lands with a bore light - if you cant then dont even consider it ... if you still have decent depth to the lands then more than likely the weapon isn't worn out ... and remember, pawn shops ALWAYS drop their original asking price - if you are thinking about this then you should go ahead and apply for a permit now ..... btw- 380's suck - don't even consider them
    and Fishdawgs personal favorite - 357 mag Colt Python - has 17 fewer moving parts than the Smith

ETA - if for hunting - always go revolver
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 12-11-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Another vote for the Glock 43 if you are gonna carry concealed. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and it's perfect for all day carry comfort.

vCash
    One other piece of advice, Go somewhere that you can hold the gun and get a feel for it. Some people prefer different guns due to the feel of a pistol(weight,grip,etc). Even if you don't buy at a strictly gun store it is good to go in and pick their brain on them as they generally know a lot about what they are selling. My wife is wanting to go through the conceal carry class and get a pistol and the guys at the local gun store have been very helpful. After talking about it she is actually leaning towards a .22 round or a .380 probably the .22 as she does not like recoil and god for bid a situation does arise where she has to use it I want her to be comfortable with what she is shooting and know she will hit her target several times. Also, if anyone has any imput on the .380 round I would love to hear some opinions not trying to hijack the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    One other piece of advice, Go somewhere that you can hold the gun and get a feel for it. Some people prefer different guns due to the feel of a pistol(weight,grip,etc). Even if you don't buy at a strictly gun store it is good to go in and pick their brain on them as they generally know a lot about what they are selling. My wife is wanting to go through the conceal carry class and get a pistol and the guys at the local gun store have been very helpful. After talking about it she is actually leaning towards a .22 round or a .380 probably the .22 as she does not like recoil and god for bid a situation does arise where she has to use it I want her to be comfortable with what she is shooting and know she will hit her target several times. Also, if anyone has any imput on the .380 round I would love to hear some opinions not trying to hijack the thread.
    I wouldn't recommend a .22 to anyone, but anything is better than nothing. Has she ever held a .38 revolver? That may be a good option. Maybe find a range that rents guns and let her shoot one. Just bring a good pair of ear muffs. There will be very little recoil. Also, a revolver is much easier to shoot while in a panic. No safeties or extra features - pull the trigger and it goes boom. One thing is for sure, don't make a decision for her. She needs to be comfortable with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    the balistics on 380's are not very good .... most of them are automatics and being an auto model the cartridge itself doesn't expel enough gas to consistently assure a smooth reload every time - probably one in 5 rounds will jam after only minimal useage .... if you want to go with .38 cal then as speckledawg says - go with the revolver, just make sure it's a double action instead of single action if it's for a woman
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    I JUST sold a basically brand new M&P 9mm.

I can highly recommend them. You will be satisfied with it. Had to sell something, and it's the only pistol I owned that wasn't a family heirloom.
    Ahhhh man, wish I would have posted sooner. Do you mind giving me a price range that I could find a good used one? If you don't want to share how much you sold yours for I totally understand.

Banned
    vCash
    This is what I have: Springfield XD9

I'm very accurate with it within 25-30 yards, and my wife can shoot it. I paid $400 from a local gun shop. I would suggest going to a place like that. It doesn't have all the fancy safeties and things like that, but it gets the job done. I use it for the same reasons you want. Has two clips, holds 12 and 17 rounds. The 17 rounder lengthens the base so it fits in your hand. As far as the safeties go, combined with keeping it your person (for fear of pulling a Cheddar Bob), that's not an issue for me, because I'm not going to chamber a round until after I pull the pistol. And let's face it, if someone blitzkriegs you, you can't pull the gun in time anyway.

Springfield is the best gun on the market IMO. I shoot a good bit (most with shotguns and rifles), but I didn't know much about handguns until a year ago when I bought this.

ETA: That Shield 9MM sounds very similar.
    Last edited by Taog Redloh; 12-11-2015 at 10:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    This is what I have: Springfield XD9

I'm very accurate with it within 25-30 yards, and my wife can shoot it. I paid $400 from a local gun shop. I would suggest going to a place like that. It doesn't have all the fancy safeties and things like that, but it gets the job done. I use it for the same reasons you want. Has two clips, holds 12 and 17 rounds. The 17 rounder lengthens the base so it fits in your hand. As far as the safeties go, combined with keeping it your person (for fear of pulling a Cheddar Bob), that's not an issue for me, because I'm not going to chamber a round until after I pull the pistol. And let's face it, if someone blitzkriegs you, you can't pull the gun in time anyway.

Springfield is the best gun on the market IMO.
    I shoot a good bit (most with shotguns and rifles), but I didn't know much about handguns until a year ago when I bought this.

ETA: That Shield 9MM sounds very similar.
    Springfield is owned by Colt - def a good quality brand