Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year End Article each teams weaknesses

vCash

Year End Article each teams weaknesses

Interesting read from the mothership

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-the-sec-title
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    F'n Pathetic:
    "Mississippi State: Without the help of a well-rounded running game, the offense became too much of a one-man show under Prescott and couldn't sustain long drives to keep the defense off the field. Mississippi State was the only team in the SEC with fewer than 1,000 yards rushing from its running backs (875). The backs couldn’t score more than five rushing touchdowns and had the fewest rushes for 10-plus yards in the league (23)."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    F'n Pathetic:
    "Mississippi State: Without the help of a well-rounded running game, the offense became too much of a one-man show under Prescott and couldn't sustain long drives to keep the defense off the field. Mississippi State was the only team in the SEC with fewer than 1,000 yards rushing from its running backs (875). The backs couldn’t score more than five rushing touchdowns and had the fewest rushes for 10-plus yards in the league (23)."
    Yea that's pretty bad. Our backs also had the fewest attempts though fwiw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Interesting read from the mothership

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-the-sec-title
    Not to turn this into a Mullen bashing thread...but his inability to recognize Malik Dear as a good RB alternative and continuing to run our 180 pound scat back up the gut were retarded decisions.

ETA: Seriously, why in the f**k was Malik playing in the slot?

vCash
    F'n Pathetic:
    Running Game Coordinator ... John Hevsey...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Running Game Coordinator ... John Hevsey...
    This is in no way a defense of this years run game or OL but he was the run game coordinator last year as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    This is in no way a defense of this years run game or OL but he was the run game coordinator last year as well.
    I am aware.. And gonzo was the passing game coordinator last year as well.... We see how much improvement we are getting there..
    Time for an upgrade at the OL position...
    Like a few have said about "cutting bait" with players.. Time to cut bait with coaches...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    I am aware.. And gonzo was the passing game coordinator last year as well.... We see how much improvement we are getting there..
    Time for an upgrade at the OL position...
    Like a few have said about "cutting bait" with players.. Time to cut bait with coaches...
    Didn't say otherwise. But as big a negative for this year, that you wanted to point out who the coordinator was, then be also note that he had us 3rd in the league last year rushing. To be honest, neither Gonzo or Hevasey get full credit for either of the positives or negatives. It's Mullen's offense and he should get more blame and credit. Hev should be looked at mainly as what the OL did in their part of each phase of the offense. IMO

ETA. Dak has a lot to do with a better passing game. Worked his butt off and Dan still is one of the best QB developers in the game. Gonzo has a lot to do with his receivers being good. Great job with Ross this past year.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 12-04-2015 at 01:32 PM.

vCash
    so even Vandy beat us out in this category ? ... that's just unacceptable
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    so even Vandy beat us out in this category ? ... that's just unacceptable
    I'd trade Shump and Holloway for Ralph Webb. That cat can play.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Right, but even worse is that their OL is clearly more effective than ours. Frightening.

vCash
    The OL will be better next year- its not even a doubt about that- how much is the question. I'm more concerned about what the OL will be in 2017.2018, and 2019. We are working on that right now and it must be recruited better for the results we want.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Seems pretty spot on. We were 99th in the country in sacks allowed and 102nd in rushing. Hevesy might have milked as much as he could out of the line last year, but we really crapped the bed in his areas of responsibility this year.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I'm ignorant on Webb, but it's not Shump's fault he is playing out of position and that our coaches haven't done a good job of getting backs ready to prevent Holloway from being an every down back.

vCash
    Having a NFL caliber RB and a dual threat Heisman QB helped them out a LOT in 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The OL will be better next year- its not even a doubt about that- how much is the question. I'm more concerned about what the OL will be in 2017.2018, and 2019. We are working on that right now and it must be recruited better for the results we want.
    We may be "better"- but I think we will still be bad. And we won't have Dak next year to run for his life and make plays. And we still have Holloway and Shumpert running up the middle...

And as far as recruiting- we have seen a steady decline in sacks allowed since Hevesy has been here- culminating with this years clown show.

vCash
    I'm ignorant on Webb, but it's not Shump's fault he is playing out of position and that our coaches haven't done a good job of getting backs ready to prevent Holloway from being an every down back.
    It would be nice if they gave them more of a chance. Aeris fumbles once- dog house. Holloway fumbled in three of our last four games this year I believe- granted one was on a kick return. Still plays. All they have to do is put them out there and give them the ball.

But what I don't understand is when Lee and Williams played- they looked good for the most part.

And then there is Dear who we seem to be hell bent on playing him exclusively at slot WR. Dan obviously has forgotten how to use someone like Percy Harvin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Having a NFL caliber RB and a dual threat Heisman QB helped them out a LOT in 2014.
    Sure it helps. Had the same QB this years as well. They also excited the run plays better as well. Including the OL. Which he was responsible for. Execution was a big part of those numbers as well. The original point was if you lay the lack of run game strickly at his feet because he is the run game coordinator then he was responsible for the very good success we had last year. Tic for tac.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We may be "better"- but I think we will still be bad. And we won't have Dak next year to run for his life and make plays. And we still have Holloway and Shumpert running up the middle...

And as far as recruiting- we have seen a steady decline in sacks allowed since Hevesy has been here- culminating with this years clown show.

Not really on sacks. You have to calculate the sacks per pass attempt. The previous three years have been almost identical. This year was 1% worse than last year. We threw more than any year as well. I will say the 2012 team was probably the best we have had in pass protection considering the number of attempts we made. This year was still disappointing in the fact the games we struggled, we really really struggled. Coach 57 nailed the OL problems after the first game.

vCash
    Sure it helps. Had the same QB this years as well. They also excited the run plays better as well. Including the OL. Which he was responsible for. Execution was a big part of those numbers as well. The original point was if you lay the lack of run game strickly at his feet because he is the run game coordinator then he was responsible for the very good success we had last year. Tic for tac.
    The past four seasons we have been ranked in the bottom half of the SEC in rushing offense and sacks allowed three out of the past four seasons.