Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Day 2 and our passing game sucks. EVERYBODY PANIC!

vCash

Practice Day 2 and our passing game sucks. EVERYBODY PANIC!

Receivers dropping balls, QBs serving up pick 6's.

Its day 2 rust, I'm sure. But really, I'd rather sit out fandom during preseason practice.

Banned
    vCash
    How many pick sixes have they thrown?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post

Its day 2 rust, I'm sure. But really, I'd rather sit out fandom during preseason practice.
    Just means our secondary is as good as everyone has been saying.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    They can play. We gonna be DB U

vCash
    DBs are very good!

vCash
    Defense is always ahead of the offense at this time of the pre season.

vCash
    Noessss -- sky is falling**

What's REALLY going to be "fun" is when we deal with a meltdown(me especially because I've been so outspoken in support) about our secondary when OK State throws for > 300 yards on us. Everyone conveniently will not acknowledge that they put up 300+ passing yards in 4 of their 5 losses last year(and 289 in the 5th)...while putting up over 400 passing yards in two of their losses...

ETA: Need to be looking REALLY hard at the Kansas game(plan). Charlie Weis had a masterful plan of shutting them down in that game...
    Last edited by engie; 08-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.

vCash
    They certainly won't rush for much so they better be able to pass it (OSU that is).

Banned
    vCash
    Eh yes they have a great passing game. Not denying that but it is the Big12. Didn't Geno Smith throw like 8 touchdowns in one game in that league last year? 400 passing yard games in that league are like 300 yard games in the SEC. Each of their games gets an extra 100yds of padding.

vCash
    We have some very, very good DB's. Very athletic, nose for the ball. They just need some experience. Cox and Jiles/Love/Redmond will all be strong. Love played last year with Banks and Slay until he broke his hand. Redmond would have played if not for the issues. These guys are ballers and we might have another Thorpe candidate in there in he next few years.
    Elitedawgs - A forum for Mississippi State fans

@elitedawgs

vCash
    Some of you all are clueless about this team we're facing.

Passing for 300 yards is normal for them. They averaged 331 yards per game passing last year. I'm not sure why anyone should be shocked if they put up 300 yards passing. Be shocked if we hold them to less than that.

Those of you who think they won't be able to rush - wrong again. They actually run the ball more than they pass and they averaged 215 yards per game on the ground. TWO HUNDRED FIFTEEN yards per game! If we averaged that, we'd be undefeated.

Their defense is also changing from a bend-don't break style to a more aggressive style of defense. Breaking in a new coordinator just like us. On defense, it may come down to who makes the fewest mistakes because a lot of stuff will be new to both teams.

Banned
    vCash
    Again they play in the Big12 where defense is optional. OSU is a GREAT offensive team. Nobody will dispute that. Showing off their stats proves very little in that joke of a league though.

vCash
    There's a reason we're a 14 point dog

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bocfarm View Post
    because of last year's perception to get people to bet on it

Ok State was a 10 point favorite over Arizona last year- except they got skulldrug 59-38

The Vegas line and the actual point differential in our games was off by 7 or more in 10 of 13 games...not a stellar year for Vegas on us
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bocfarm View Post
    Yeah -- because Vegas is stupid when it comes to MSU, particularly early in the season...

I'd be willing to bet that the line closes in single digits...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post

Our starter didn't throw a pick today did he? Or did I miss that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Yeah -- because Vegas is stupid when it comes to MSU, particularly early in the season...
    I'd be willing to bet that the line closes in single digits...
    I agree 14 is a lot. Maybe too many. But it will never touch single digits.

vCash
    Keep up the good work Mr.Townsend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Again they play in the Big12 where defense is optional. OSU is a GREAT offensive team. Nobody will dispute that. Showing off their stats proves very little in that joke of a league though.
    We gave up 223 yards rushing and 349 yards passing to Troy. Troy.

To suggest that we will "meltdown" because OK State throws for 300 yards on us or that they "won't rush for much" shows a substantial amount of ignorance. Any knowledgeable fan should know better. If Troy could do it, then certainly Oklahoma State can.

What we need to do is find a way to put them in the loss column despite passing and running for a lot of yards. Like we did to Troy. And like five teams did to OK State.

But, nobody should be shocked if they pass or run for a lot of yards. That's fairly routine for them.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Right, they'll almost definitely move the ball and score some points whether we win or not, and when that happens, don't buy into people's (Rebel's) bullshit that our defense is "weak." Don't be shocked when they pass some on our secondary. It's going to happen. Not necessarily because we have bad DBs, but because their system allows for them to put up big numbers.

Forcing OSU into some turnovers and limiting them field goals when they get to the redzone will be key.
    Last edited by messageboardsuperhero; 08-02-2013 at 10:44 PM.