Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Beer advice...

vCash

OT: Beer advice...

I'm going to see my brother coming from Athens during Thanksgiving, I am not sure what all they have over there for beer (I'm in MS). I'm trying to give him a list of some stuff to bring, any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I only told him a Dogfish head 90 and Creature Comfort Tropicana (I think that's what it's called). I have had the dogfish head before but it's been a while. I have had a terrapin or two but it's been a while. I am interested in IPAs and pale ales for the most part, but looking for anything different that I should not miss out on. Thanks for any help.

vCash
    Schlitz beer in the can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    I'm going to see my brother coming from Athens during Thanksgiving, I am not sure what all they have over there for beer (I'm in MS). I'm trying to give him a list of some stuff to bring, any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I only told him a Dogfish head 90 and Creature Comfort Tropicana (I think that's what it's called). I have had the dogfish head before but it's been a while. I have had a terrapin or two but it's been a while. I am interested in IPAs and pale ales for the most part, but looking for anything different that I should not miss out on. Thanks for any help.
    Yuengling, especially if you are not a hops fan. Rumor is we get it in mid January, as reported here, but I've not seen that confirmed anywhere.

vCash
    Good choice on the DF 90. I would add Cigar City Jai Alai and Bell's Two Hearted.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 11-24-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    DuClaw Serum XX Double IPA

It's a Maryland brew that is only available in MD, NY, PA, VA, and NC but you might want to check if it made its way into GA yet( last time I looked was over a year ago). If you like and IPA you should really like this one.
    Last edited by THE Bruce Dickinson; 11-24-2015 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    If you're into IPAs, you should get him to bring some Terrapin Hopsecutioner and since it's Thanksgiving the Pumpkin Fest as well. Looks like they sell Heavy Seas out of Baltimore over there as well. The Loose Canon from Heavy Seas is really good IPA.
    Last edited by notoriousdog; 11-24-2015 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Schlitz beer in the can.
    Schlitz has gone back the the 60's formula---go for the Gusto--you only go around once----the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Good choice on the DF 90. I would add Cigar City Jai Alai and Bell's Two Hearted.
    I agree on all three of these. Also may want to try Stone Ruination and Victory Hop Devil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    This guy knows his beer. Get some DFH 60 Minute too.

Also, if he can find it, get the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA. Very hard to find but worth the search.

vCash
    There's a brewery in Wisconsin. Makes awesome beer. Milwaukees best light. Some call it Beast. I call it delicious.

vCash
    None of the above available in the bbq joint in Shannon. Most everything in quarts.

vCash
    New Belgium's Slow Ride IPA and Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter IPA are both quite tasty.

vCash
    Jai Alai is great. I brought back a big stockpile of beers from Atlanta in August. I highly recommend Sculpin by Ballast Point, it's great. Terrapin hopsecutioner, Terrapin Moo-hoo milk stout, and Liquid Bliss. Anything by Cigar City.. and Jekyll Cooter Brown. I tried a couple from Red Hare (brewery in ATL), but nothing that stood out.

vCash
    Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale but warning, "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY"

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/home.asp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Schlitz beer in the can.
    I prefer the bottle, but good call. Old Style if Schlitz is sold out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Some good suggestions already made....Here is a compassion of distribution state vs state. Pop in MS vs Georgia...
    http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/compare.html

Or here ya go....

First off. Ignore anyone who says Yuengling... Over hyped Budweiser.Highlighted some of my personal favorites.

21st Amendment
    Against the Grain
    Allagash
    Anchorage [Limited]
    Anderson Valley
    Ass Kisser
    Avery
    Ballast Point [Limited]
    Bard's Tale
    Bells
    Bison
    Blue Point
    Blue Tarp [Draft only]
    Bottle Tree
    Boulder
    Boulevard
    Breckenridge
    BridgePort
    Brooklyn
    Buffalo Bill's
    Burnt Hickory
    Butternuts
    Chattanooga
    Cigar City [Limited]
    Cisco
    Clown Shoes [Limited]
    Coastal Empire [Draft only]
    Creature Comforts
    Cricket Hill [Limited]
    Crooked Stave
    Dixie
    Dogfish Head (well... Yes its good but there are so many better options now...)
    Duck-Rabbit
    Evil Twin
    Fat Cat
    Finch's
    Florida Beer Companty
    Flying Fish
    Founders
    French Broad
    Full Sail
    Great Divide
    Harpoon
    Heavy Seas - see Clipper City
    Highland
    Hoppin Frog
    Horny Goat
    Iron City
    Jailhouse
    Lakefront
    Laughing Dog
    Left Hand
    Lexington (Alltech/Kentucky)
    Mad River (Steelhead)
    Matt (Saranac)
    McSorley's (Pabst brand)
    Monday Night
    Moon River [Draft only]
    Mother Earth
    Moylan's
    Napa Smith
    New Belgium
    Nimbus
    O’Dempsey’s
    Old Dominion
    Ommegang
    Orpheus
    Oskar Blues
    Peak Organic
    Penn
    Port/Lost Abbey
    Prairie Artisan Ales
    Pyramid [Limited]
    Red Hare
    RJ Rockers
    Saint Somewhere
    Service
    Shelton Brothers (importers)
    Shmaltz (He'Brew)
    Sixpoint
    Smuttynose
    Southbound
    Southampton
    Southern Tier
    Sprecher
    St. George
    Starr Hill
    Stillwater
    Stone
    Stoudt's
    Strawn
    Sweetwater
    Terrapin
    The Bruery
    Thomas Creek
    Thomas Hooker
    Three Taverns
    Uinta
    Victory
    Westbrook
    Weyerbacher
    White Birch [Limited]
    Wild Heaven
    Yuengling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    I prefer the bottle, but good call. Old Style if Schlitz is sold out.
    Old Style, the memories. What about some Black Label or Scheafer Light?

vCash
    All excellent choices. I really like 21st Amendment and Bells Two Hearted ale.

I'm pretty excited I can buy Southern Tier in Meridian now. I've seen their Pumking on draft at a couple restaurants as well.

vCash
    Get him to stop in Hop City in Atlanta or Birmingham, preferably Atlanta. One of the best beer stores I've been in. Grab a couple bottles of Prairie Bomb! Rated 100 on BeerAdvocate by both users and the Bros. It's as dark as your soul and ~10 bucks a bottle, but delicious. Moylans also has a new quad IPA call Hop Craic. It's delicious but will destroy your palate. Like others have said, Bells Two Hearted is solid. Ballast Point Sculpin is a super IPA. Their Victory at Sea porter is great too if you can go darker.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousdog View Post
    If you're into IPAs, you should get him to bring some Terrapin Hopsecutioner and since it's Thanksgiving the Pumpkin Fest as well. Looks like they sell Heavy Seas out of Baltimore over there as well. The Loose Canon from Heavy Seas is really good IPA.
    Second for Hopsecutioner.

Others from Terrapin to look out for: Moo Hoo Milk Stout, Rye Pale Ale, and Mosaic Red Rye IPA. (The last of those is a spring seasonal, so there may not be any floating around right now.)

Red Hare out of Marietta is fairly solid across the board, though the Sticky Stout and Watership Brown are two of the more prominent ones.

Red Brick out of Atlanta is worth a shot, too. Their Laughing Skull Red Ale is pretty popular around here, but some of the others (like the Porter and Imperial Stout) are probably better.

Another Atlanta brewery, Orpheus, has gotten a lot of hype in the past couple of years. Not sure you can get their stuff outside of the Atlanta area, though.