Thread: Basketball Recruiting

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Basketball Recruiting

If we planned to take a PF, then why don't we just go hard after Cameron Lard or are we waiting to see a transfer list in the spring?

vCash
    I think he staff cooled on Lard. Probably see if anyone emerges during the year or like you said, a transfer/JUCO.

vCash
    probably won't take anyone unless there's a no brainier in the late signing period

vCash
    We still have another scholarship with Houston probably gone. (5 seniors + Malik + Houston)

vCash
    Malik is not a definite one and done right now- he has a long way to go
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Malik is not a definite one and done right now- he has a long way to go
    He played real soft..... I wouldn't expect a guy with his accolades to be that passive on the court

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    He played real soft..... I wouldn't expect a guy with his accolades to be that passive on the court
    He hasnt ever played defense- long way to go there. Plus learning to be a PG is going to take awhile as well. Right now im expecting 2 years from him
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He hasnt ever played defense- long way to go there. Plus learning to be a PG is going to take awhile as well. Right now im expecting 2 years from him
    But you can't teach aggression. He never went for the ball. He stood there and waited for it to come to him. I don't care if you foul, at least make an effort for the ball.

vCash
    If malik stays we are overloaded at PG. carter, peters, newman, and ready...obviously some can play the 2 as well but i would rather be loaded in the post.

vCash
    It may be time for Howland to step away from the recruiting trail and officially begin some real coaching.

vCash
    The players we have now is not on Howland. Yes he is the coach and supposedly is suppose to take the blame but that's bs in my opinion. There is a reason these guys were rated low 3 star players and didn't have any other good offers other than what Ray did. They were coached terribly for 3 years you can't expect them to just catch on to what Howland is teaching in a few months. It's going to take Malik and Q'c class to really start to carry this team along with some of the elite talent next year. Once he can coach his own recruits we will see a huge jump in play cause all of the players will buy in. I honestly don't think these seniors have. They just are not very good and Howland knows it. I'm not saying he's given up on them but he knows they are a NIT team at best unless they find their mojo soon and get the ball rolling. They will beat some teams this year but they won't be consistent. I would be willing to bet by Howlands 3rd year we will be a very good team.

vCash
    This is why you don't see a lot of 1 and done guards compared to big guys. Talented big guys are really rare so their talent shows through and the NBA is eager to get them. Guards are a dime a dozen but most freshmen have never played a lot of defense and have not faced a lot of teams that playe good defense against them. So it's a huge adjustment when you just don't blow by people are have open looks consistently.

I'm going to give Newman about 2 weeks before I make up my mind on his ability to make the jump as I'm hoping he's just shaking off some rust from being sidelined for a month

vCash
    Agreed. We need to temper expectations, which we don't always do well as a fan base.