Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So we are trading our Alabama crootin pipeline for a California crootin pipeline.....

Banned
    vCash

So we are trading our Alabama crootin pipeline for a California crootin pipeline.....

I can live with that, they have the top talent in the country out there. But can we honestly expect to attract top California talent to Starkville, MS?

vCash
    Not trading Alabama, more like losing a player or two a year from Alabama in return for a player or two a year in Southern California.

MSU will always recruit Alabama well for baseball

vCash
    We have players from California and Canada. Don't think its an issue.

vCash
    I suppose the new stadium will help too...

vCash
    Alabama talent is about the same as Mississippi talent. Butch hurts us more with getting Georgia talent though.

We currently have Gavin Collins on the team plus we have a commit from Jack Owens who is one of the better prospects in California as it is. Alex Detz was also from California as well.

College baseball is not as big in California like it is in the SEC. Some of the players out there are going to find playing somewhere that baseball matters like MSU is very attractive.

We can land a few players from California and get them to come here. We'll still have the core of our team be from Mississippi. We also need to keep on recruiting Florida, Texas, and Georgia as well.

Losing a pipeline to Alabama doesn't really bother me. I'd much rather have one to Louisiana because I think the talent is more developed there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg99 View Post
    I suppose the new stadium will help too...
    Our stadium will be nicer than any of the minor league stadiums in California. The major powers in California college baseball essentially play at glorified high school fields.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We currently have Gavin Collins on the team plus we have a commit from Jack Owens who is one of the better prospects in California as it is. Alex Detz was also from California as well.

Kruger is from California.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Kruger is from California.
    I forgot about him since he came to us from Oregon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    But can we honestly expect to attract top California talent to Starkville, MS?
    In baseball? Heck yes.

Is this a serious question?

vCash
    Do we need to worry about any prospects flipping to Auburn to follow Thompson?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Do we need to worry about any prospects flipping to Auburn to follow Thompson?
    I would doubt it. You just don't really see that in baseball.

You honestly don't even see it that much with assistant coaches in football.

vCash
    We have 45 on the team, down from 46. I'm thinking 2-4 cuts and the rest red shirts which mainly will come from the pitching staff. If we lose players that will be redshirt than no big deal.

Im more worried about 2017 commits flipping. That is a solid class.

vCash
    None of our commits are going to flip because of Butch.

vCash
    Guys that are serious about baseball are gonna come to Mississippi State, regardless of where they're from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    We have 45 on the team, down from 46. I'm thinking 2-4 cuts and the rest red shirts which mainly will come from the pitching staff. If we lose players that will be redshirt than no big deal.

Im more worried about 2017 commits flipping. That is a solid class.
    Got to be more cut than that. We don't have 6 newcomer pitchers not on baseball aid.....no one here is going to auburn, agree w that

vCash
    Here is my take on butch/new guy. Looking from the outside, Butch was good at getting an average talent to find a niche for themselves and excel. It may not have been Butch's fault, but our better talent guys have seemed to have big ups and downs as their careers have gone along.

I remember watching Cal St. when they had the two true freshmen (too lazy to look up their names) starting for them and they were very good from beginning to end. One of them, I think was a really high pick. The other one was a small guy, so he probably didn't go terribly early.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the new coach might have a little more sway with a highly talented high school pitcher. That is what I am hoping for anyway.

vCash
    If I had a criticism about Butch, it would be about the slow development of the better arms. Two that stand out that did not become what they should have at Mississippi State are Evan Mitchell and Brandon Woodruff. Granted, injuries play a role in some instances, but guys like Dakota Hudson and Zac Houston shouldn't be arriving in their junior years. We should be seeing things out of them latter in their freshman years and definitely in their sophomore years that make them stand out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Here is my take on butch/new guy. Looking from the outside, Butch was good at getting an average talent to find a niche for themselves and excel. It may not have been Butch's fault, but our better talent guys have seemed to have big ups and downs as their careers have gone along.

I remember watching Cal St. when they had the two true freshmen (too lazy to look up their names) starting for them and they were very good from beginning to end. One of them, I think was a really high pick. The other one was a small guy, so he probably didn't go terribly early.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the new coach might have a little more sway with a highly talented high school pitcher. That is what I am hoping for anyway.
    Butch will admit it was nick who got us to go after more "elite" and big time draftable guys. He was ok w getting a b+ guy w no risk of losing him as opposed to going after the A+ guy losing him and being stuck w a C guy. So last year and going forward we combined the strategies, which I like and has worked this far.

Banned
    vCash
    AlSwearengen and KB21......great posts, I can't agree with you more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    AlSwearengen and KB21......great posts, I can't agree with you more.
    Diito