Thread: Diaz repping the bend but don't brake**

vCash

Diaz repping the bend but don't brake**

http://mississippistate.247sports.co...-Cats-40432171

6th question down he basically says bend but don't break is our rally cry.

Last question, he says we suck in the 1st quarter because young guys are playing tentative, then get more comfortable later in the game. Basically says it pisses off the coaches too. Maybe they should implement the pregame face-slap.

https://youtu.be/Qa1lY--7H-g?t=25s

vCash
    Well that's a rally cry to motivate people. I prefer ones more like in the movie Gladiator..."On my command - Unleash hell!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Well that's a rally cry to motivate people. I prefer ones more like in the movie Gladiator..."On my command - Unleash hell!"
    Yeah. Our rally cry is basically "let them get yards and hold them to three!!!" That will scare the shit out of our opponents.

vCash
    Wouldn't we serve purpose if we line one person on the center to rush and drop everyone else back to the 10 yard line, tackle them there and give them 4 chances to score? This would give our offense more time to operate, give our D a rest, and give Diaz his victory of bend don't break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yeah. Our rally cry is basically "let them get yards and hold them to three!!!" That will scare the shit out of our opponents.
    Let em think what they want to. We're 4th in the SEC in sacks, 5th in TFL, and 4th in scoring defense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Let em think what they want to. We're 4th in the SEC in sacks, 5th in TFL, and 4th in scoring defense
    Ex****ingactly. When it comes right down to it, scoring defense is what matters. You can argue that it doesn't tell the whole story all you want, but if we're 4th in the conference and top 25 in the nation at denying the other team points through six games, it means Manny's approach is working, period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatordog View Post
    Wouldn't we serve purpose if we line one person on the center to rush and drop everyone else back to the 10 yard line, tackle them there and give them 4 chances to score? This would give our offense more time to operate, give our D a rest, and give Diaz his victory of bend don't break.
    That's funny right there. Good one.

vCash
    If we can keep them to field goals bend all you want our offense is going to move the ball down field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Seriously. Our defense is playing really well and is being aggressive. Yet our fans assume since some people have said 'bend, don't break' in the past that we're soft and awful.

That answer on Jamoral Graham did not in any way say we're going to let you get yards on us all day. I feel like most fans hear 'bend, don't break' and assume it's corners playing 10 yards off the LOS, no aggressiveness from the front 7, etc. And that is clearly not at all what Diaz means by it.

vCash
    Agree.

I'll say though I get nostalgic when I see youtubes of Sherrill's better defenses. Those D's just dominanated and had a lot of swagger.

I think now in the spread offense age with offense-friendly rule changes, it's just about possible for a D to consistently dominate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Agree.

I'll say though I get nostalgic when I see youtubes of Sherrill's better defenses. Those D's just dominanated and had a lot of swagger.

I think now in the spread offense age with offense-friendly rule changes, it's just about possible for a D to consistently dominate.
    Do you get nostalgic over the 2001-2003 defenses? J/k. But seriously, we saw what happened when you run that defense without the talent to do it. Without Smoot, Bean, and Ashley Cooper, that defense becomes terrible fast.

vCash
    Given the fact that we're fine giving up yards, I say it's four down territory between the 35s. If we are going to tighten up in the red zone, why not go for it more? Obvious sarcasm, but it would be interesting. Plus, this way we won't give up as many yards because teams wont have to march down the field, the defense isn't on the field as much, everyone wins.

vCash
    I prefer: "I don't want them to gain another yard."
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    I prefer: "I don't want them to gain another yard."
    The problem with that is that our safeties would probably get burned for long td's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rbdog82 View Post
    Given the fact that we're fine giving up yards, I say it's four down territory between the 35s. If we are going to tighten up in the red zone, why not go for it more? Obvious sarcasm, but it would be interesting. Plus, this way we won't give up as many yards because teams wont have to march down the field, the defense isn't on the field as much, everyone wins.
    Somebody proved with statistics that going for it every time on 4th is the right thing to do. Statistically.

I'm buying that. Except going for it at times where the risk far outweighs the reward. I'd like to see somebody besides us try it.

vCash
    It seemed to me the D was tightening up as the game progressed. The opposing QB made some good throws early, beating the pressure, while getting hit quite often just after the throw.

So he paid dearly for many completions.

And he became less accurate.

Our young guys in the center of the backfield defense seemed to get better as the game progressed. We face a similar QB this weekend, and constant
    harassment and being taken to the ground should pay off.