Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dude on SPS is right on about our offense this year......

Banned
    vCash

Dude on SPS is right on about our offense this year......

Der Huntr says Mullen went all in on the passing offense because he didn't trust our OL (which I also heard from preseason camp observations). That is why you see Shumpert playing more when healthy, because he's the best blocker we got. He goes on to say that it's a smart move by Mullen, but we at MSU are just not accustomed to seeing MSU football without a punishing run game.

My only complaint is that I wish Dak would run when the hole is there. He's good at improvising. He doesn't have to be the bull-rushing guy from last year (which probably gets him hurt), but he does need to run the ball when he SHOULD run the ball.

I would also like to see a fullback or second tailback used more. I realize that takes a TE or the 3rd WR out of the game. Some of you ex-coaches who are into Xs and Os can maybe comment on the consequences of that, regarding what Mullen tries to do. I loved our offense with Hanrahan and I loved Auburn's offense with Prosche.

Also worth noting, is that the OL is getting better as the year goes on.

vCash
    We will do with KY defense what we want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    My only complaint is that I wish Dak would run when the hole is there. He's good at improvising. He doesn't have to be the bull-rushing guy from last year (which probably gets him hurt), but he does need to run the ball when he SHOULD run the ball.
    Mine too. If this would have happened, the LSU game wouldn't have come down to a delay of game, a timeout and Devon Bell. We would have been taking a knee.

vCash
    Der Huntr says Mullen went all in on the passing offense because he didn't trust our OL (which I also heard from preseason camp observations). That is why you see Shumpert playing more when healthy, because he's the best blocker we got. He goes on to say that it's a smart move by Mullen, but we at MSU are just not accustomed to seeing MSU football without a punishing run game.

I would also like to see a fullback or second tailback used more. I realize that takes a TE or the 3rd WR out of the game. Some of you ex-coaches who are into Xs and Os can maybe comment on the consequences of that, regarding what Mullen tries to do. I loved our offense with Hanrahan and I loved Auburn's offense with Prosche.

Sounds like to me we need to put shump at fullback.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Maybe, if he can block as good as they say. I've always advocated a move to S or LB as he doesn't really have the look of a traditional FB, but hey, whatever works.

vCash
    I think Hev made a mistake not moving Senior to LT. I understand his reasoning (didn't want the right side to be totally new guys), but I think the OL would be better right now had we bitten the bullet and done it. This is just my opinion though- and we'll never know. Hindsight can often be 20/20
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    That's been pretty obvious from the first game. We are doing what we can do. That's the mark of a good coach. That may sound stupid but it's true.

vCash
    We will do with KY defense what we want.
    ^^^This^^^

If you watched AU/UK, you noticed that UK could not cover #5. We have several targets that they will struggle covering. AU seemed to get to the corner a lot too using speed sweeps. Myles, Holloway, and Dear should have big day. I would pound the middle with DL and DP to keep them honest, work vertical with Bear, Ross, and Gray.

vCash
    I'd love to see Dan go old school I formation with Shump as FB and Lee as TB and just start punishing defenses. Just something to kick start a run game.

vCash
    Kentucky also lost a DT to an ACL
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Kentucky also lost a DT to an ACL
    Yep and a LB is questionable as well. And they are really thin at LB already.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'd love to see Dan go old school I formation with Shump as FB and Lee as TB and just start punishing defenses. Just something to kick start a run game.
    Me too but would this limit us in the pass game, due to having 3 receivers instead of 4? I mean, it comes down to who our best athletes are I guess.

vCash
    Me too but would this limit us in the pass game, due to having 3 receivers instead of 4? I mean, it comes down to who our best athletes are I guess.
    If we have success with the I formation runs wouldn't the safeties come up closer to the LOS and put single coverage on the receivers?

vCash
    He doesn't have to be the bull-rushing guy from last year (which probably gets him hurt), but he does need to run the ball when he SHOULD run the ball.
    If Dak (and Mullen) would take advantage of just this one simple aspect of the run game we would be in a much better situation going forward.

vCash

Same here. All the rushing issues, be they scheme or personnel are frustrating but I'd be way happier with Dak coming back from the Checkdown Charlie brink.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Let's see: we have a questionable offensive line; questionable running backs; really good receivers and a lot of them; and the best quarterback in the SEC. Hummmm, what to do, what to do? Maybe an offensive scheme built around the short passing game? It makes sense to me. Evidently I'm not the only one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Let's see: we have a questionable offensive line; questionable running backs; really good receivers and a lot of them; and the best quarterback in the SEC. Hummmm, what to do, what to do? Maybe an offensive scheme built around the short passing game? It makes sense to me. Evidently I'm not the only one.
    yep... or we can line up in the I formation with our questionable offensive line go Croom style and run it up the gut on 1st and 2nd throw a pass on 3rd maybe... and punt like others have stated in this thread. We havent lined up in the I since maybe Mullen's first year not sure we went under center then. But lets in one week put in the I form package and plays that are not in our playbook and go against what has been working makes tons of sense, wish Dan would understand this. Georgia couldn't line up and run it against bama but surely we can.***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    don't be logical

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    yep... or we can line up in the I formation with our questionable offensive line go Croom style and run it up the gut on 1st and 2nd throw a pass on 3rd maybe... and punt like others have stated in this thread. We havent lined up in the I since maybe Mullen's first year not sure we went under center then. But lets in one week put in the I form package and plays that are not in our playbook and go against what has been working makes tons of sense, wish Dan would understand this. Georgia couldn't line up and run it against bama but surely we can.***
    Don't take it to seriously. We are giving arm chair Sunday Morning Coaches what if's. It's fun to do and it's also fun to kick ole miss fans when they are down like this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Switch to decaf.***