Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got around to looking...

vCash

I just got around to looking...

at the final stats for UM-Bama. My paper (the Tupelo Journal) never got around to printing them and that's where I always look at stats ( I know, I'm a dinosaur). I wondered why till I saw them. If you leave out the turnover line and the score line you would assume Bama won that game and the Confederates were playing catch up all night. Don't get me wrong, turnovers are part of the game, perhaps the biggest part. I just found it interesting that it wasn't quite the total domination it is being spun as in some quarters. One more comment from the stats, as was widely believed before that game, it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.

vCash
    it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.
    Holding onto the ball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bgover4 View Post
    Holding onto the ball?
    I believe he's referring to that position that Barrett Sallee says returning a talented starter is over-rated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    at the final stats for UM-Bama. My paper (the Tupelo Journal) never got around to printing them and that's where I always look at stats ( I know, I'm a dinosaur). I wondered why till I saw them. If you leave out the turnover line and the score line you would assume Bama won that game and the Confederates were playing catch up all night. Don't get me wrong, turnovers are part of the game, perhaps the biggest part. I just found it interesting that it wasn't quite the total domination it is being spun as in some quarters. One more comment from the stats, as was widely believed before that game, it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.
    I'm a Dino, too buddy... the box score made me feel a lot better about the team (moving forward)...

Unfortunately, with how the game has changed, box scores are now a less reliable method for determining who's "better", who "won", etc....

we should ban the forward pass*
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    102 total plays for Bama and 67 for OM, I sure as hell would hope Bama had more total offense.

vCash
    Not to take anything away from OM but Bama played sloppy as hell. Fumbled the first play...and it got worse from there. Bama will lose another game or two unless their QB situation somehow gets much better.

vCash
    I know this has been mentioned in another thread but I can't find it. I have seen multiple Ole Miss fans share the video of D. Nkem cheap shot Bama's qb on the interception return.
    First off it's kind of embarrassing for a lb to blind side a qb and then stand over him like he's done something. Secondly, is this something the league office can review and suspend for? Does he count as a defenseless player? I know it's a cheap shot but I am just curious if it is illegal.
    Of course I'm sure that if the qb sustained a concussion and was out for a while the good Rebels would have prayed for him.

vCash
    If Bama had MSU's #3 QB, I think they win that game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I know this has been mentioned in another thread but I can't find it. I have seen multiple Ole Miss fans share the video of D. Nkem cheap shot Bama's qb on the interception return.
    First off it's kind of embarrassing for a lb to blind side a qb and then stand over him like he's done something. Secondly, is this something the league office can review and suspend for? Does he count as a defenseless player? I know it's a cheap shot but I am just curious if it is illegal.
    Of course I'm sure that if the qb sustained a concussion and was out for a while the good Rebels would have prayed for him.
    it was cheap and maybe deserved a "taunting" penalty, but I was all right with it...

gotta keep your head on a swivel, Cooper!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I'm not sure they would even have a case. There's no doubt Kimchee outweighs him by 100 pounds and did more than necessary to block him, but I don't think it was a cheap shot. The kid was frustrated that he threw an interception and wanted to make up for it by making the tackle. He was actually pretty close to the ball carrier when he was hit. If you are going to run east and west on the field you better know who is around you.

vCash
    Screw them. Remember the late hit on Holloway a couple years back. It's all part of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    Not to take anything away from OM but Bama played sloppy as hell. Fumbled the first play...and it got worse from there. Bama will lose another game or two unless their QB situation somehow gets much better.
    Bama will lose 3-4 games. UM, LSU, MSU and maybe the bowl game.

vCash
    Secondly, is this something the league office can review and suspend for? Does he count as a defenseless player? I know it's a cheap shot but I am just curious if it is illegal.
    Not a rules expert by any means but I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal. He was a potential tackler at that point. I'll agree those plays where QBs (or punters or kickers) get lit up because they're away from the ball and aren't protecting themselves like they should are dangerous plays and they annoy me. But I'm not sure what you do about it. The only thing that would fix it is making the ball dead after a turnover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I'm a Dino, too buddy... the box score made me feel a lot better about the team (moving forward)...

Unfortunately, with how the game has changed, box scores are now a less reliable method for determining who's "better", who "won", etc....

we should ban the forward pass*
    That would be a great benefit to y'all this year, on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCdawg View Post
    I'm not sure they would even have a case. There's no doubt Kimchee outweighs him by 100 pounds and did more than necessary to block him, but I don't think it was a cheap shot. The kid was frustrated that he threw an interception and wanted to make up for it by making the tackle. He was actually pretty close to the ball carrier when he was hit. If you are going to run east and west on the field you better know who is around you.
    There were at least 2 other Bama players close enough to block, but they were a lot bigger than #18.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCdawg View Post
    I'm not saying there should be a penalty because I agree that any player on the field is the same and the qb was essentially a defensive player after the interception. I remember seeing that same thing called a penalty in the NFL but not in college. The one specific time is in the playoffs when the Saints player leveled Kurt Warner after an interception. It seems like there was no call on the field but the league fined him later.
    I was just curious if there was some sort of rule in college.

vCash
    LC, I think that is the case when there is a block on a defenseless player who is away from the ball. I have seen it called on kickoffs when the kicker gets blasted and was nowhere near the ball.

vCash
    Cheap shot? This is football. I am sure Bama's Qb was chasing the play down. If he doesn't want to get hit, then don't chase the play down. He was as active as anyone else on the field. I am saying all of this without even seeing the play in question, but generally my personal rule is if the player is trying to get in on the play, then they are fair game. This is a man's game. If their qb want to be a little girl, he didn't have to chase the ball.

vCash
    It was called on a block on Brett Favre one time. He was 30 yards behind the play and got cut back on. Now that is a cheap shot.

vCash
    I heard something in the weekend pro games about a kicker or punter being blocked and should be flagged but wasn't. I'm not clear on why it was a potential penalty, since the punter cold have made the tackle (theoretically, not actually). Didn't see Bama/OM except the fourth quarter, so I haven't seen the hit in question.