Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend C&D Thread

vCash

Weekend C&D Thread

I've had one hell of a busy day and just now getting the thread put up. Think I'm grilling tomorrow

vCash
    Whipped up some quick elk sloppy joes tonight. We have been working really late saving up our time off for an extended vacation this fall, and needed a quick meal this evening. I decided to make sloppy joes with some ground elk, but failed to have the meat thawed prior to starting. This meal went from freezer to plate in about 20 minutes, and was a hit all around.

Need:
    1 lb ground meat
    1/2 small white onion
    1/4 cup Stubbs Original BBQ Sauce
    1 tbs tomato paste
    Salt
    Pepper

I pulled the frozen meat pack out and placed it in a large skillet with about 1/2 cup of water, and turned the heat to medium. Cover the skillet and let the heat and steam thaw the meat. It should take 10 mins or less. Once thawed, uncover and turn heat up to medium-high and break up meat with spatula. Throw in diced onion and season with salt and pepper. Once the water has cooked off, meat has browned up and the onions are cooked through, add the BBQ sauce and tomato paste. Cook for another minute or two to combine and heat through.

Serve on soft buns…I like mine with a touch of mayo.

vCash
    Last night, we were terrible parent and did not drive an hour+ to support our band geeks at the first football game. Instead we went to a new farm to table restaurant owned by a friend. He grows the vegetables on the farm his great grandfather got after freedom. Had a pork belly over black eyed pea fritter app; pecan and goat cheese mixed green salad; and a 12 oz NY strip over sea island red pea and okra succotash. Even had fresh homemade butter to melt over the strip. Finished with peaches and cream over olive oil cake. All of it grown/raised within a 3 county area. Damn good.

Going to probably do something with shrimp tonight.

vCash
    How was that Blue Paddle Sapper?

Brunswick, I'm in the food biz and I have a lot of respect for the farm to table guys. I have 3 food vendors (everything, produce, beef). Dealing with 3 is enough not because they don't do a good job, it's just the hectic nature of the biz. I was told a local farm-to-table restaurant has 40+ venders. You gotta have a pork guy, lettuce guy, Apple guy, beef guy, etc... I don't see any human way possible I could deal with that many vendors & the orders/invoices that would accumulate. I would go crazy.

vCash
    Beast, this guy has it set up in an interesting way. He is a world class chef who came home to take over the family farm with his sister. Opens for grab and go lunches and classes during the week, and wife does preserves, jams, spices, etc. Does dinner on weekends small menu - 2 apps, 2 salads, 3 entrees, 3 sides, 2 desserts. Only had 24 seats in the place. The small scale helps him manage the vendors, inventory and sesonality of the food. One thing about living down here is there are still farms and the climate means long growing seasons making f-2-t easier than some places. The freshness can't be beaten though.

vCash
    The blue paddle is a good summertime session beer. Great for tailgating in early September, and the ladies will like it as it drinks very easy.

vCash
    Hey being new to this and seeing how great all ya'll cook food I just wanted to see how I stack up and get some opinions. But I can't figure out how to post the picture from my phone

vCash
    Got a spare case of Filets from the Halpern's beef line. Their ribeyes and sirloins are outstanding. They were small 4oz cuts but I brought home 4. Seasoned them with salt, pepper, and a touch of granulated garlic. Patted a dab of olive oil before I put it on the hot grill. Saut?ed some onions & mushrooms and baked some taters for a simple dinner.

vCash
    Oh and Yeungling light imported from Florida

vCash
    Beast help me out please

vCash
    Dawg fan - get a photobucket account and load your photos there. Then link them over here with the forum link - I think it is last of the four links given as an option.

vCash
    Seared some thick pork chops after putting a rub on them from Southern Soul BBQ on St. Simons. They glazed up really nice. Paired it with rice pilaf and some fresh picked butter peas from the farmers market. Kicking back with a Bulleit and lemonade right now watching a thunderstorm roll in across the marsh.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan1013 View Post
    Hey being new to this and seeing how great all ya'll cook food I just wanted to see how I stack up and get some opinions. But I can't figure out how to post the picture from my phone
    Not sure how others do it, but I usually just get a link from my photo in Google pics and post it via the "Insert Image" button.

Hope that helps.

vCash
    Beast those look great! If you can find some Boursin black pepper cheese to spread on top, it will really set them apart.

vCash
    Beast help me out please
    You need to upload your pic to a website like photobucket then copy and paste the url.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Last night, we were terrible parent and did not drive an hour+ to support our band geeks at the first football game. Instead we went to a new farm to table restaurant owned by a friend. He grows the vegetables on the farm his great grandfather got after freedom. Had a pork belly over black eyed pea fritter app; pecan and goat cheese mixed green salad; and a 12 oz NY strip over sea island red pea and okra succotash. Even had fresh homemade butter to melt over the strip. Finished with peaches and cream over olive oil cake. All of it grown/raised within a 3 county area. Damn good.
    Brunswick, that meal sounds amazing. I'm a local food geek -- just this morning picked up some local sausage and a pork shoulder at a farmer's market -- and love farm-to-table and slow-food places that can make it work. What's the name of your friend's restaurant?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Brunswick, that meal sounds amazing. I'm a local food geek -- just this morning picked up some local sausage and a pork shoulder at a farmer's market -- and love farm-to-table and slow-food places that can make it work. What's the name of your friend's restaurant?
    It's called The Farmer & The Larder
    www.farmerandlarder.com

Matthew is a really cool guy - and was featured on the premier episode of "Beat Bobby Flay".

vCash
    Beast help me out please
    Like the guys said you need a photo hosting site. I use photobucket. They also have a great phone app which makes it really easy to post pictures from your phone which is the vast majority of my posting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Oh and Yeungling light imported from Florida
    Yeungling Black &Tan is my go-to winter beer.

vCash
    It doesn't meet the thread guidelines but I'm sitting here list to Jimmy Paige and the Crowes