Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Kyle Hann play SS?

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash

Could Kyle Hann play SS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtbc...ature=youtu.be

I know this is just one play, but he's been playing a good shortstop on his summer league team. It seems like Hann could take a big step next year and play solid defense just about wherever we need him to on the infield. Plus, he's been ripping the cover off the ball so far this summer. You've got to be excited about the future of both our Canadians.

vCash
    It's going to be Hann, Britton, or Pirtle next year- Humphries in all likelihood won't be ready or will play 3rd...hell, he could even be moved to RF possibly
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Absolutely Hann could play shortstop next year. I honestly had no idea he could make a play like that though!

It has to be hard to go from Canada to Starkville not to mention going from playing Canadian HS baseball to SEC baseball.

vCash
    I honestly can't see Humpheys playing shortstop for us. He definitely has the arm, but he's not as quick as a shortstop should be in my mind. I'd love for him to prove me wrong on that though, cause like I said, he has a cannon.

ETA: that was supposed to be a reply to Coach34. Not a random rant
    Last edited by WeWonItAll(Most); 07-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.

vCash
    Here's how I see the competition out of the returning guys and Humphreys (not sure about any of the other freshmen being immediate contributors), in no particular order:

2B- Pirtle, Hann, Britton, Humphreys
    SS- Pirtle, Hann, Britton
    3B- Hann, Detz, Britton, Humphreys

Obviously Pirtle has a spot locked up. I like Hann's versatility, and it's hard for me to imagine him not playing a pretty big role next year. I expect Britton to improve and be a factor too. Detz could play 3B or DH, but his bat must be in the lineup. Humphreys and the rest of the freshmen could be brought along slowly unless they just show out and are heads and shoulders above what we already have. I like the way the infield shapes up for next year. We've got a lot depth and a lot of really good options without relying too heavily on newcomers. There are no weak players in that group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I honestly can't see Humpheys playing shortstop for us. He definitely has the arm, but he's not as quick as a shortstop should be in my mind. I'd love for him to prove me wrong on that though, cause like I said, he has a cannon.

ETA: that was supposed to be a reply to Coach34. Not a random rant

Having seen Humphries play, I agree. I think he ends up either at third base or the outfield for us. Unless he works his tail off like Adam Frazier on his range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Here's how I see the competition out of the returning guys and Humphreys (not sure about any of the other freshmen being immediate contributors), in no particular order:

2B- Pirtle, Hann, Britton, Humphreys
    SS- Pirtle, Hann, Britton
    3B- Hann, Detz, Britton, Humphreys

Obviously Pirtle has a spot locked up. I like Hann's versatility, and it's hard for me to imagine him not playing a pretty big role next year. I expect Britton to improve and be a factor too. Detz could play 3B or DH, but his bat must be in the lineup. Humphreys and the rest of the freshmen could be brought along slowly unless they just show out and are heads and shoulders above what we already have. I like the way the infield shapes up for next year. We've got a lot depth and a lot of really good options without relying too heavily on newcomers. There are no weak players in that group.
    In my opinion, we NEED Detz to DH. My sphincter tightened up pretty good at the end of the SR when he did that hop skip looking thing before he threw the ball across to Wes for the last out. If he doesn't make that play, every Ole Miss fan is talking about how Cohen is no better than Bianco rather than how their recruiting class in football was a bigger National story than us making the CWS finals. Thankfully he made the play.

vCash
    I'd like to see this next year

1st - Rea
    2nd - Pirtle
    3rd - Detz
    SS - Hahn
    LF - Robson
    CF - Bradford
    RF - Humphries
    C - ?
    DH -?

vCash
    My guess having seen Hann go all Ozzie Smith on everyone:

1B- Rea
    2B- Pirtle
    3B- Humphries
    SS- Hann
    LF- Robson
    CF- CT
    RF- Henderson
    C- Cody Walker
    DH- Detz

vCash
    I could see this too:

1B- Rea
    2B- Pirtle
    3B- Hann
    SS- Britton
    LF- Robson
    CF- Bradford
    RF- Henderson
    C- Garner
    DH- Detz

Humphreys would play, but probably not be a full time starter. Vickerson, Armstrong, Humphreys, and maybe even Cody Brown could all potentially play a role in the outfield as well. Like I've said before, we lose a couple of really good player, but we have the quality and quantity to replace them. Plenty of strong options all over the fields. The lineup could go any number of ways and still be really solid top to bottom. The only individual guys we're truly relying on are proven and have plenty of experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    I could see this too:

1B- Rea
    2B- Pirtle
    3B- Hann
    SS- Britton
    LF- Robson
    CF- Bradford
    RF- Henderson
    C- Garner
    DH- Detz

Humphreys would play, but probably not be a full time starter. Vickerson, Armstrong, Humphreys, and maybe even Cody Brown could all potentially play a role in the outfield as well. Like I've said before, we lose a couple of really good player, but we have the quality and quantity to replace them. Plenty of strong options all over the fields. The lineup could go any number of ways and still be really solid top to bottom. The only individual guys we're truly relying on are proven and have plenty of experience.
    There will be a lot more competition for playing time this year compared to last year. The biggest issue is going to be power. We have some guys with power, but most of them are young. If I were Cohen, I would put a huge emphasis on stealing bases and base running in general because in our situation, that's the best way to overcome that. I like the talent that Humphries, Rooker, Collins, and Daniel Garner possess, but we also can't rely on them to hit 5-10 home runs as freshmen unfortunately.

vCash
    How bad ass is it to already get a glimpse into the future with this team though, and to see just how incredible it could be. We have a ton of pitching commits for the next few years, plus we already have CT's role filled with Robson, Hann will be a middle infielder, Humphreys will be out there somewhere, Garner is looking legit now, we just got the commit from the big LH hitting first baseman, etc....

I can't wait to see what Cohen and Butch can do with legitimate talent after seeing what they have been doing with average to slightly above average talent. They have been developing average guys into pro prospects and it looks like that is sure to continue with more talent and less development required.

vCash
    We gonna have to PAY Butch soon to hold him here. Won't be long until some good baseball programs come knocking.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Kendall Graveman come back as an assistant on the team if MLB doesn't pan out. That way we have one of Butch's own pitchers that he could groom in to a future pitching coach for us if Cohen stays for a while like I think he will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    How bad ass is it to already get a glimpse into the future with this team though, and to see just how incredible it could be. We have a ton of pitching commits for the next few years, plus we already have CT's role filled with Robson, Hann will be a middle infielder, Humphreys will be out there somewhere, Garner is looking legit now, we just got the commit from the big LH hitting first baseman, etc....

I can't wait to see what Cohen and Butch can do with legitimate talent after seeing what they have been doing with average to slightly above average talent. They have been developing average guys into pro prospects and it looks like that is sure to continue with more talent and less development required.
    The past two years, we have had some really bad luck with injuries. Just having a healthy Woodruff would have made a huge difference in Omaha. Two years ago, if we aren't decimated with injuries throughout the team, we probably host a regional and then who knows what would have happened?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Kendall Graveman come back as an assistant on the team if MLB doesn't pan out. That way we have one of Butch's own pitchers that he could groom in to a future pitching coach for us if Cohen stays for a while like I think he will.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cohen bleeds maroon & white. This is his dream job, leading his alma-mater back to glory. I just don't see him wanting any other job more, and MSU is way, way more than a paycheck to him. He loves his Bulldogs just as much as we do, maybe more. And I love him for that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    In my opinion, we NEED Detz to DH. My sphincter tightened up pretty good at the end of the SR when he did that hop skip looking thing before he threw the ball across to Wes for the last out. If he doesn't make that play, every Ole Miss fan is talking about how Cohen is no better than Bianco rather than how their recruiting class in football was a bigger National story than us making the CWS finals. Thankfully he made the play.
    I for one was just thankful it wasn't Sam Frost having to make that pressure throw or we would definitely have been playing a 3rd game in the SR. However, that being said, I fully agree that it would really be nice if we could come up with a better defensive option than Detz at 3rd and let him just DH. He can make the basic plays but he has very limited range and only an average arm over there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    We gonna have to PAY Butch soon to hold him here. Won't be long until some good baseball programs come knocking.
    We are paying him... I believe he's one of the highest paid college baseball assistants in the country ever since we added the Associate HC tag to his title last year. Fact is, we probably pay him better than 95% of head coaches around the country...

We dodged the big bullets last year with Georgia and Auburn both having vacancies. I was very, very nervous about Auburn. Those were his 2 most recent coaching stops, and he was well-loved at both those places. Don't really see Butch leaving us for a low/mid-major program like Burroughs did. As many years as he's been doing it at a very high level in the SEC, you know he's had a bunch of those options before...

I think he stays at MSU until a power conference vacancy comes calling -- and there's really no guarantee that he'd leave then. It's the beauty of Cohen making him an associate HC(in reality -- not just in title). He's got full power/control over that side of our team with very little interference from Cohen -- and he gets all the credit for their success. For a guy that loves MSU like Butch does -- and a guy that probably realizes that Cohen is going to be here a long time -- it's possible that he's accepted that this is about as close to his dream job as he will ever come. He might not be the type that wants to be a HC. He was for one year in 97 at a small college in Alabama -- and he made a lateral move right back to his previous job as an assistant at Birmingham Southern the very next year. Not saying that's reality -- just showing a logical look at the other side of the coin.

I do think we will match and beat any offer he gets within reason -- and our baseball fanbase will do everything in their power to ensure that we never lose him over money...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    We are paying him... I believe he's one of the highest paid college baseball assistants in the country ever since we added the Associate HC tag to his title last year. Fact is, we probably pay him better than 95% of head coaches around the country...

We dodged the big bullets last year with Georgia and Auburn both having vacancies. I was very, very nervous about Auburn. Those were his 2 most recent coaching stops, and he was well-loved at both those places. Don't really see Butch leaving us for a low/mid-major program like Burroughs did. As many years as he's been doing it at a very high level in the SEC, you know he's had a bunch of those options before...

I think he stays at MSU until a power conference vacancy comes calling -- and there's really no guarantee that he'd leave then. It's the beauty of Cohen making him an associate HC(in reality -- not just in title). He's got full power/control over that side of our team with very little interference from Cohen -- and he gets all the credit for their success. For a guy that loves MSU like Butch does -- and a guy that probably realizes that Cohen is going to be here a long time -- it's possible that he's accepted that this is about as close to his dream job as he will ever come. He might not be the type that wants to be a HC. He was for one year in 97 at a small college in Alabama -- and he made a lateral move right back to his previous job as an assistant at Birmingham Southern the very next year. Not saying that's reality -- just showing a logical look at the other side of the coin.

I do think we will match and beat any offer he gets within reason -- and our baseball fanbase will do everything in their power to ensure that we never lose him over money...
    This is my thinking too. After the UGA and AU jobs were off the table, I came to the realization that, unless a great opportunity comes along AND Butch has HC aspirations, he's probably not going anywhere soon. I used to think it was a great opportunity OR HC aspirations thing, but now I think it would take both for him to leave. He has almost an ideal position: Butch has full control over a Championship caliber pitching staff that he built himself, gets full credit and is loved by the fans, gets to live close to his hometown, makes a pretty fat paycheck, etc. etc.

Unless the stars line up absolutely perfect or he just gets bored and wants a new challenge, I can't see him going anywhere soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post

Butch is from Amory and as you said, being at MSU is his dream job. Everything else you said as far as pay is correct as well. Also, his family is in the area and he is closer to them now than he ever has been before.

Cohen and Butch work very well together. Sort of like Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan. They both have the same goal of winning a National Title at MSU and they have different personalities that play off of each other well. Cohen has always had a good pitching coach even when he was at Kentucky- he had Gary Henderson there, so if Butch left, I think he would try to make a similar hire- like go after Derek Johnson with the Cubs who used to be at Vanderbilt or Karl Kuhn at Virginia.

And speaking of pay- this is probably needless to say- but I suspect both Cohen and Butch are about to get another pay raise.