Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Topic- which game did we absolutely pull out, with no explanation?

Banned
    vCash

Better Topic- which game did we absolutely pull out, with no explanation?

The losing topic was too depressing. I want to hear about the games we had no business winning, but managed to pull out. I'm not talking about games we knew we had a chance to win, or even mild upsets (The 6-3 Bama game in 1980 wasn't between two completely mismatched teams)...I'm talking about games we had no business winning, that came out of nowhere. Here's mine:

-1994 Tennessee game: Was cussing the TV all day. Peyton Manning was making his first start, and State just played like ass all day long. However, we got a turnover, drove it down, and Kendall Watkins wins the game.

-1996 Alabama: 15 losses in row, 38 out of 39, they were ranked 7th and we were treading water. I even watched the football game at my In-laws' house- I had a superstitution where I would never watch a Miss. State game over there because they lost every time. Because I didn't think they had a chance, I didn't care one way or another.

However, we kept hanging around and finally got a lead with a few minutes left. On first down, their RB clipped off a 30 yard run, and we all thought "here we go again". However, Fat Freddie Kitchens threw something like 4 Incompletes in a row, and we got our first win against Bammer at Scott Field in over 40 years. I and my then-brother-in-law were so loud and screaming that both my kids (toddlers at the time) were screaming in sheer terror (like we cared).

-2009 Egg Bowl: Ole Miss was on their way to THEIR SECOND COTTON BOWL IN A ROW!, while we were in the first year of Dan's tenure. We had lost 45-0 the year before and there was nothing to indicate that we'd win this year. The University of Ole Miss was up at halftime. However, we came out and spanked them like the little effeminate sissygirls their fanbase is. It was my son's first Egg Bowl as a teenager, and he had a blast- he was utterly astounded at the State Students and Ole Miss students cussing each other out in the Junction (250 lb dudes being "held back" by their 100 lb. girlfriends). My son asked, "Are they really that mad at each other?"...yes they are, my son, yes they are.

-1999 Auburn game: Auburn totally outplayed us the first 55 minutes of the game. We had no business winning it...but we did, with Matt Wyatt of all people.

-2002 Kentucky basketball game: Game starts out 21-2 Kentucky. However, Mario Austin leads them back and ties the game at the buzzer with a 3 pointer. Then we win in overtime.

2004 Florida game- Lost to Maine, all the good players except for Jerious Norwood kicked off the team, Florida a top 20 team. However, Norwood finds the end zone, we get the INT and win. Monday, Florida insults our victory by firing their Coach and term "Croomed" goes into the American Lexicon.

-2006 Alabama game- We had Sylvester Croom as corch. We barely beat UAB. We lost to Tulane ("thanks for the check!"). However, we somehow go into Bryant-Denny and win...

Tell some of your favorites.

Banned
    vCash
    2007 Egg Bowl!

Down 14-0 in the 4th.
    Ogre goes for it on 4th and gets stuffed.
    Pegues kick return.
    Jamar Chaney KILLS Shay Hodge.
    Adam Carlson kick

Croom grabs the flag and runs around.
    Last edited by Smitty; 07-29-2015 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    1999 Auburn game
    1999 LSU game
    1999 Kentucky game
    1999 Ole Miss game

Banned
    vCash
    Not us per se, but Princeton taking out UCLA in 1996 teed us up for the Final Four run. UCLA would have been a tough matchup as defending champs.

vCash
    2006 sec tourney game vs KY. We blow a 17 point lead. The refs are atrocious. We go down like 10 I think. Sent it to OT with a 3 from Jamony. Chuck fouls out on the first play of OT. Jarvis does the same not long after. We some how pull it out, thanks in large part to some clutch FTs from Barry.

Banned
    vCash
    Winning at Arkansas with Damien running the show in OT.

How we beat Bama in BDS in 2006 still amazes me. We sucked that year. Our only other wins were UAB (in OT) and Jacksonville State.

vCash
    2013 at Arkansas and they are inside our five yard line in the 4th quarter to finish us off and end the Mullen era. Then Nickoe strips the RB, we get the ball, ultimately win the game in overtime.

Next week Nickoe Whitley strips OM qb inside the five yard line in overtime and Love recovers for the egg bowl win at home again to propel us to our glorious five weeks at number one season in 2014 with Gameday and SEC Network coming to town.

Pulling out that Arkansas game in Fayeteville changed our whole outlook going into the egg bowl and winning the egg that year and then demolishing Rice in the Liberty really flipped the whole feeling of the program I think.
    Last edited by Schultzy; 07-29-2015 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    '07 and' 09 Egg bowls are some good ones. That 09 ole miss team had some talent

vCash
    How bout the year we waxed Spurrier and the Gator's ass in Starkville with Dicenzo and Dontae? Nobody expected us to win that game, much less dominate it the way we did. One of the best experiences being in Starkville for that one. We just flat out ran them out of the stadium.

vCash
    I was at that 02 Kentucky game. Right behind the basket mario drained the 3 in. I knew it was in as soon as he let it go. My favorite BB game I have seen live.

vCash
    1986 - MSU(Don Smith) @ #8 Tennessee - 27-24 - MSU scored twice in the final 5 minutes and held UT on downs when they had 1st and goal on the MSU 10 at the end of the game.

I can't imagine we have ever had a better athlete play for MSU than Smith. I would love to let Mullen figure out how to use him.

vCash
    2007 egg bowl.... I was walking out of the stadium when Pegues had that runback... everybody started going nuts, so I told my Dad, we gotta go back...glad we did...
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    We were 6-4 and Ogre was 3-7 in the 2007 Egg Bowl. As awesome as it was, I don't think that game is really in the spirit of what was meant by OP. We didn't go into that game expecting to lose.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    We were 6-4 and Ogre was 3-7 in the 2007 Egg Bowl. As awesome as it was, I don't think that game is really in the spirit of what was meant by OP. We didn't go into that game expecting to lose.
    that's the way I took it... we were getting our ass handed to us, then miraculously won the game in the last few minutes.

There was also a Kentucky game we weren't supposed to win but won nicely.. I can't remember the year
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    How bout the year we waxed Spurrier and the Gator's ass in Starkville with Dicenzo and Dontae? Nobody expected us to win that game, much less dominate it the way we did. One of the best experiences being in Starkville for that one. We just flat out ran them out of the stadium.
    That was 2000, and I think we beat Auburn the next week, who won the SEC West after we blew it. Lost games we should have won to LSU, South Carolina, and Arkansas.

vCash
    The 1992 Florida Thursday night Shane Matthews "no Mississippi school was good enough for me" game. A total smack down out of no where.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    What about '07 Auburn? I didn't think we had a prayer when I tuned in that afternoon.

I wouldn't really say we had no business beating UM in '09. We physically whipped their ass when we put in Relf, and they never had an answer.

vCash
    Snow Bowl - 99 I think it was ... awaiting the Y2-K disaster
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    2013 Egg Bowl. We had a one armed Guy and a true freshman with one game's experience at QB and pulled it out.

vCash
    Pretty good list, Mutt.
    The 1994 UT game is my first vivid memory of an MSU game. Had great visibility of the end zone when we scored the TD.

1999 Kentucky. This was a Thursday from what I recall. Anyways, I was in high school at the time but made the trip with some friends who decided to leave the game early and trek back to the car. Me and two others stayed behind. Our buddies said they knew we had won when they heard the stadium erupt.