Thread: Anybody ever been to an OM Recruiting Title Reunion?

vCash

Anybody ever been to an OM Recruiting Title Reunion?

As I was getting harassed this evening by some OM trolls about recruiting on twitter while I cooked on the grill- it made me think of how much they love imaginary, mythical titles.

They claim 3 National Titles- hell, Freezus claims 3 BCS titles in tweets- but the AP nor the Coaches Poll has ever had them #1 in a final poll. Claiming a Simon and Garfunkel National Title as they do really shows their imagination. The Better Homes and Garden Title they won back when football was lily white is great fodder for celebration.

They also hang their hat on the annual February Recruiting Title. They win this every season for the state of Mississippi- or at least I've been told by them they have for the last 15 years- and holy shit Batman- they finished 3rd in the SEC for 2013 Recruiting Title.

As much as they love these mythical titles, and we know they have never lost a party- has anyone ever been invited to one of their Recruiting Title Reunions? I bet those mf'ers are fun. Champagne, party shrimp, fondue....a good bourbon....I bet it's great. I imagine Dixie playing like it's 1962 all over again as the video of each document coming thru the fax machine is shown on the wall. #OldTimesThereAreNotForgotten
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    The fact that they tried to rationalize that their recruiting class was a bigger story than us making the CWS finals says everything.

That's the thing about recruiting though- you can throw a bunch of stars by someone's name and feel good about yourself. They can justify it by saying "well, Alabama's class four years ago had a bunch of stars, so there's some validity there"- of course the difference is Alabama's guys are legitimately 4-5 star guys and they stack great class after great class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The fact that they tried to rationalize that their recruiting class was a bigger story than us making the CWS finals says everything.
    Well shit Todd- it was broadcast on ESPNU in the middle of the day while everyone was at work- how can you not say it was a bigger deal? They finished 3rd in the SEC West in a subjective recruiting rating- that trumps on the field competition and results- didnt you know that??????
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I love this post. Top notch Coach

vCash
    it's funny and sad all at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Well shit Todd- it was broadcast on ESPNU in the middle of the day while everyone was at work- how can you not say it was a bigger deal? They finished 3rd in the SEC West in a subjective recruiting rating- that trumps on the field competition and results- didnt you know that??????
    +1. Their once in a lifetime class still is 3rd in the division. Let that sink in

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    It is sad. Their proudest sports achievement since integration is subjectively ranking third in the division in football recruiting one year. Think about how pathetic that is. In their best sports year in modern history, we were still better in what was only an all-around average-to-slightly-above-average year for us compared to what we've been doing for the past five years. They say the things we brag about most (Final Four, SEC champ. game, several CWS appearances) turn out to be losses, but at least our bragging points are real, tangible on-field accomplishments. UM hasn't won an outright Big 3 SEC regular season championship in literally 50 years. UM has literally done nothing nationally relevant in sports since James Meredith was on campus, and that was back when college sports wasn't really even prominent in the national spotlight.

The only value that their athletic programs have is in their heads.

vCash
    invitations are sent out on the "secret" boards .... sorry but you gotta be in the know to get there and you coach, are outside their circle of trust I assure you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Post of the year nominee.