Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God I love the South and the SEC

vCash

God I love the South and the SEC

Sitting on the balcony of my condo here in Gulf Shores- enjoying the evening with a drink. And within 50 yards each direction- there are 4 SEC tents....Bammer, Auburn, Tennessee, and Mizzou. It's SEC 365 days a year and I love it
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    You forgot the OM fan getting his strut on***

#'supLadies

vCash
    Yep. Last time I was there, so were the LSU Golden Girls.

vCash
    Sometimes I wonder if SEC sports keeps me here. It certainly isn't the pay scale.

vCash
    I can retire in the next 3 years or so (I work for MSU and live in Starkville). The smart thing would be for me to retire, move out of state and draw my retirement while I work somewhere else for a few years. I'm not originally from MS, and I'm young enough to work at least another 10-15 years, but I keep thinking about missing out MSU sports.

The whole idea of struggling with the decision between "move and have plenty of money for retirement", or "stay in Starkville to watch MSU sports" shouldn't even be close, but I'm really struggling with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Sitting on the balcony of my condo here in Gulf Shores- enjoying the evening with a drink. And within 50 yards each direction- there are 4 SEC tents....Bammer, Auburn, Tennessee, and Mizzou. It's SEC 365 days a year and I love it
    Get off my beach. ***
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Why is that even close? If I was in that position, I definitely wouldn't leave Starkville.

vCash
    The South really is a great little corner of the world.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godlluB View Post
    I can retire in the next 3 years or so (I work for MSU and live in Starkville). The smart thing would be for me to retire, move out of state and draw my retirement while I work somewhere else for a few years. I'm not originally from MS, and I'm young enough to work at least another 10-15 years, but I keep thinking about missing out MSU sports.

The whole idea of struggling with the decision between "move and have plenty of money for retirement", or "stay in Starkville to watch MSU sports" shouldn't even be close, but I'm really struggling with it.
    Working an extra 15 years will most likely mean you live longer than if you retire in 3 years which means by moving you'll end up seeing MORE MSU sports in your lifetime. Move brother and make a lot more money. 2c

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Working an extra 15 years will most likely mean you live longer than if you retire in 3 years which means by moving you'll end up seeing MORE MSU sports in your lifetime. Move brother and make a lot more money. 2c
    Well, I can't actually afford to fully retire right now, so if I stay in Starkville, it means just putting off state retirement for 10 years or so. Still, the smart financial move is to retire, move, and take a higher paying job somewhere else. I also sometimes think about all of the money I could save since I wouldn't be purchasing season tickets anymore!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadden0408 View Post
    Why is that even close? If I was in that position, I definitely wouldn't leave Starkville.
    DItto! Its my goal one day to have a condo there for game wknds. Hell, if a job opened up, I'd move back in a heartbeat. My love for Stark & msu sports outweighs everything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godlluB View Post

Assuming you work in some technical capacity that is transferrable, look to get a job in Huntsville, its only 3ish hours away and a high tech city. Draw your retirement and make 2x your state salary here. You can still make most MSU games with ease on the weekends without much issue. And this is just a good place to live.

Three years to go means retiring at 25 years. Working another 10-15 means you would have been working for 35-40 years, and puts you in your early to mid 60's for the second retirement with the financial means to watch every MSU game in person until you die (probably in another 20 to 30 years from the second retirement).

vCash
    Sapper,

I work with your brother. Pretty much everything you surmised is true. Rationally, I know what the right answer is, but that doesn't mean it's an easy choice.

vCash
    I thought so. I tell him the same thing every week!

vCash
    If I could figure out a way to make a decent living in Sville- I'd move there next week
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I moved here 15 years ago from the MS Gulf Coast due to a job opportunity. I never have looked back. I'm so close to StarkVegas, and a huge part of my life is MSU. From Football / Tailgating, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Tennis, we support all in a big way and have incorporated State into our lives. We LOVE it. We make the most of this opportunity, and are grateful of the chance to live here. I graduated from State, have 2 of 3 kids going there now, and actually grew up near here. I am home! I believe that not everyone is as lucky as me.

Thanks to he airport, GTR, the world is a lot closer for me.

vCash
    I just went through a similar process - In February I left the state agency I had been with for 15 years with no job waiting for me. I ended up having to decide whether to take a big job in TX, or stay in Brunswick. The money in TX was big, but I made a lifestyle choice. Having spent 15 years in a meat grinder of a state agency, having 2 kids in HS, and leaving a veritable paradise all meant more than the immediate money. That is why these things suck. It was much easier deciding to go to State!

vCash
    You gotta make sure you can take care if yourself and your family. Work to live. Don't live to work. Money is no good if you can't enjoy it.

I've not taken every maximum profit path in front of me and I don't regret it at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    I moved here 15 years ago from the MS Gulf Coast due to a job opportunity. I never have looked back. I'm so close to StarkVegas, and a huge part of my life is MSU. From Football / Tailgating, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Tennis, we support all in a big way and have incorporated State into our lives. We LOVE it. We make the most of this opportunity, and are grateful of the chance to live here. I graduated from State, have 2 of 3 kids going there now, and actually grew up near here. I am home! I believe that not everyone is as lucky as me.

Thanks to he airport, GTR, the world is a lot closer for me.
    My wife and I had the opportunity to move to Columbus last year. We took it in a heart beat. I do not regret it one bit other than the friends I left on the coast. Pay was substantially higher, insurance is substantially cheaper, and the real estate market is much more conducive to owning. We bought a house in south side and have loved every minute of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If I could figure out a way to make a decent living in Sville- I'd move there next week
    I live here and am still trying to figure that out.