vCash

99 days until kickoff

Sean Ferguson

Who is your favorite #99?

vCash
    There is only 1 #99 for Miss State:

Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    You forgot about the original #99 ------ Harvey Hull. Great player !!!
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Dorsett Davis

vCash
    Willie Blade

Willie Blade.jpg
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    You forgot about the original #99 ------ Harvey Hull. Great player !!!
    I've never seen anyone outhustle Harvey. Also don't remember another middle guard with his sideline-to-sideline pursuit ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    There is only 1 #99 for Miss State:

Bingo. Didn't know he was from Leland. Him and Jim Henson. Kermit the Frog and Johnnie Cooks are opposite ends of the hardass spectrum. LOL

I think Cooks once caught a punt off the end of the punter's foot and took it in for a TD. Would be good to see some film of that guy.

vCash
    Cooks is our highest draft pick ever. He was 2nd or 3rd overall
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Bingo. Didn't know he was from Leland. Him and Jim Henson. Kermit the Frog and Johnnie Cooks are opposite ends of the hardass spectrum. LOL

I think Cooks once caught a punt off the end of the punter's foot and took it in for a TD. Would be good to see some film of that guy.
    Not sure that tops Harvey Hull intercepting the pitch from Richard Todd to his running back (forgot his name) in the backfield and running it 50 yards for a TD.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Willie Blade

Willie Blade.jpg
    Pretty sure he didn't wear 99 as a Bulldog.

vCash
    Blade was 96. Dorsett Davis wore 99 back then.

vCash
    We should have a Johnie Cooks award for the biggest badass on our team.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Cooks is our highest draft pick ever. He was 2nd or 3rd overall
    With the second pick in the 1982 NFL draft, the Baltimore Colts select Johnie Cooks, LB, Mississippi State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_NFL_draft#Round_one

Scroll through the draft and look at the QB's that year. Started with Schlichter and went downhill from there. Edited to add...other than McMahon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    With the second pick in the 1982 NFL draft, the Baltimore Colts select Johnie Cooks, LB, Mississippi State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_NFL_draft#Round_one

Scroll through the draft and look at the QB's that year. Started with Schlichter and went downhill from there. Edited to add...other than McMahon
    Haha! I was a soph in HS then and my parents let me play hooky from school that day so I could watch the draft. Loved me some Johnie Cooks! What a badass he was!

vCash
    TUSK votes Big Johnnie...

I saw him play in person just once... it was "that" day....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    does anybody remember that game when we beat Miami and Jim Kelley in Vegas? I was at that game. I was clinging to the chain link fence on the sidelines. think I was about 20 or so. Kelley was rushing to the sideline and cooks just about clocked him before he got to the sideline. cooks was tempted to lay a PF on him but held back just in the nick of time. kelley was running so fast he had to use the fence to brace his stop right in my face. I yelled at kelley "you're lucky!".. I know he heard it. of course I never would have done had the fence not separated us. I think we were on the receiving end of 2 straight VERY favorable offensive PI calls in the endzone that sealed it for us on that day. don't recall too many games where the refs saved us but that was one of them.

but later, the kelley / Hull deal went on for a while in the NFL. kinda wished I'd never done that. Kelley was a class act.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    does anybody remember that game when we beat Miami and Jim Kelley in Vegas? I was at that game. I was clinging to the chain link fence on the sidelines. think I was about 20 or so. Kelley was rushing to the sideline and cooks just about clocked him before he got to the sideline. cooks was tempted to lay a PF on him but held back just in the nick of time. kelley was running so fast he had to use the fence to brace his stop right in my face. I yelled at kelley "you're lucky!".. I know he heard it. of course I never would have done had the fence not separated us. I think we were on the receiving end of 2 straight VERY favorable offensive PI calls in the endzone that sealed it for us on that day. don't recall too many games where the refs saved us but that was one of them.

but later, the kelley / Hull deal went on for a while in the NFL. kinda wished I'd never done that. Kelley was a class act.
    I was at that game. The thing about Cooks I remember from that game was the Miami center layed Jonnie out on one play. WE were all shock as Cooks lay on the ground. I don't know if it's true but I always heard he broke his nose. Cooks went out for one play. When he came back Cooks put the Miami center OUT, and he didn't come back. It may be a faulty memory after all these years but it makes a great story anyway. Anyone that saw Johnnie play should have no trouble believing it.

vCash
    Cooks, Glen Young, and Bond are the first three players I ever remembered. My first game was in 1980. I still can't think of my entire college football experience without my mind going instantly to those three guys.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!