Thread: Complete position by position breakdown w/depth chart

vCash

Complete position by position breakdown w/depth chart

vCash
    Good stuff.

I appreciated the position breakdowns. Didn't find much to disagree with there.

The depth chart looks solid.

On special teams, what do you think the chances are that we see Jameon Lewis and Brandon Holloway as kick returners?
    Last edited by MSUDawg4Life; 07-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.

vCash
    I'd love to see them as returners. Rojo looks good back there as well. Actually, Redmond did too but he's not available for a bit unfortunately

vCash
    Whats interesting, by looking at your depth chart, is that we seem to be a much better team than what people are giving us credit for in the preseason. Our talent level and experience, outside of WR and CB, is good enough to win games. After reading your depth chart, it really pumps me up. We have a very solid team, and if (BIG IF), our WRs and CBs can step up and the team and Mullen can get their attitude right and play with a chip on their shoulder, we can win a lot of games.

The thing about this team, and the NFL always tells you this by the way they value players, we are experienced and have good players in the positions that matter. QB, OL, DL, and LB.

This depth chart re-affirms my belief that we will surprise people this year. That being said, I kinda like the fact that the media hates us this year. They will be surprised.

Why can't we beat OSU with this roster? Its better than their roster!

vCash
    One point you made that I absolutely hope does not happen. Shumpert making noise on special teams. I just cannot stand the idea of burning someone's redshirt just to play special teams. JMHO

vCash
    I get what you're saying but special teams can win or lose games. I like redshirting but not as much as most for a few reasons: (1) You RS too much and its used against you in recruiting. I want Mullen to have the rep that he plays TrFr that are ready and (2) Numbers. You only get 85. You can't RS too many or you're stuck w/a jammed roster. RS lineman and QB's but get the guys who can make a difference early on the field IMO

vCash
    Good point and I can agree with you to an extent, but if you are ready, by god get him some carries, don't just limit him to special teams. Of course like you said with depth we have ahead of him that's easier said than done. One thing about running backs, they work off rhythm so you can't play them all or the lead man won't get enough reps to get in a groove. Good problem to have for sure though.

vCash
    By most accounts Griffen should be ready to go by September to also bein the RB mix- if we don't redshirt Shumpert we are idiots- he will be a no factor this season.

And I agree- we have talent, depth, and a rough schedule. We should be a 7-5 team this year or a big upset to get to 8-4.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    The depth and talent level on the roster is really very solid on paper. I'm very excited about the OL and DL; there are a lot of big, athletic bodies on both sides of the line. We should win at least 7 regular season games this year if we get that chip back on our shoulder that we had in 09-10. I just hope the players and coaches haven't gotten complacent or had too many people pat them on the back. Our guys should hopefully be hungry after the way last season ended.

Senior Member Ghost of Hank Flick's Avatar
    vCash
    What is the consensus on the best way to use Brandon Holloway? It sounds like he doesn't have that great of hands. I know the backfield is loaded but I'd love to find a way to get him the ball. That jet sweep Auburn ran with Onterio McCaleb all those years seems like a good play for him. Or a screen. Maybe even that wheel route.

vCash
    Holloway doesn't have the best hands but he's far from being the worst. I'd say above average. I loved the look he haves us at RB in the spring game but I think most of his reps will come at slot. I'd love to see him and Jameon on the field at the same time in 4 WR sets. He's versatile enough to be used from so many spots it really doesn't matter. I envision him lining up at either RB or WR and motioning to the opposite a good bit.

vCash
    Hand it to Holloway and run him with Tubby as an option pitch man. We'd have a touchdown before the D notices whether or not the ball was pitched.

vCash
    1. I definitely would like to see Brandon and Jameon as kick returners together. I think they could be a deadly duo. Kinda like a pick your poison sort of thing. Any choice an opposing team makes is the wrong choice.

2. I could see Brandon as a combination slot WR and RB. See him in motion a lot. Sweeps, reverses, end arounds, wheel routes, draws and screens. Lots of misdirection plays. Anything designed to let him utilize his speed. The idea of having him and Jameon on the field at the same time in 4-wide sets is great. There are a lot of possibilities.
    Last edited by MSUDawg4Life; 07-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.

vCash
    Good point on KR. Last year people consistently kicked to Perk so JL couldn't return it.

Perk is serviceable on KR but he isn't going to break one like JL can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Hand it to Holloway and run him with Tubby as an option pitch man. We'd have a touchdown before the D notices whether or not the ball was pitched.
    Well, dang it, now I have a boner.