Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What difference in our offense this fall in your opinion is most probable?

vCash

What difference in our offense this fall in your opinion is most probable?

I mean in the way we mix up playcalling and move the ball down the field.

I think we are going to use the tight end more than any msu fan has seen in it's history and that includes the Donald Lee snow bowl year.

Because of this, our qb will be far more comfortable in the pocket and our rb's will have better holes.

What I dont see is how our wide outs will perform. Of course if Tyler goes down and we revert to the Relf style offense the playcalling will be completely different.

Banned
    vCash
    Last year the offense was perhaps the most predictable in the SEC. Opposing coaches gave us zero credibility. Yeah we did better as a passing offense that pretty much any MSU team ever, but that's not saying much. With what we had to work with, we did not do as well as we could have. Basically our offense felt about as potent as it did Mullen's first season with midget Lee at QB. We need to substantially upgrade the playcalling. I'm not sure if ******* is capable of doing this with a passing style offense. That's why I can't wait for the day when we go back to the Relf style of offense. That's *******'s bread and butter.

I predict we will be exactly the same on offense, which is to say bland but good enough. Tyler will be better and will be damn good, but the receivers have gone. The guys we have look talented, but for instance, Morrow looks like an all pro wideout but can't catch a cold.

We better hope the defense gets much better. We have to be able to collapse the pocket and get pressure off the ends on passing downs. Last year we had the best secondary in the nation perhaps, and we still stunk on D because we had no pressure. If the D comes around, the offense will appear much better even if it is not. And it won't be.

vCash
    I hope we do the same thing except we add mo betta running plays to choose from.

Like put a TE in a spread set that allows you to running a passing spread or shift into a power formation and hammer J Rob up in there.

I would also like to see us use Tubby like Mullen used Percy Harvin. I looked at some Percy tape of his long runs from the RB spot. It was half Percy and half the rest of the team getting a hat on everybody, leaving Percy one man to juke in open space. Us doing that is more about execution and blocking because we know Tubby can get around any one guy in open space.

vCash
    Hopefully no read option on 3rd and long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    I hope we do the same thing except we add mo betta running plays to choose from.

Like put a TE in a spread set that allows you to running a passing spread or shift into a power formation and hammer J Rob up in there.

I would also like to see us use Tubby like Mullen used Percy Harvin. I looked at some Percy tape of his long runs from the RB spot. It was half Percy and half the rest of the team getting a hat on everybody, leaving Percy one man to juke in open space. Us doing that is more about execution and blocking because we know Tubby can get around any one guy in open space.
    This

Banned
    vCash
    I am a little disappointed in Morrow. I hope last season was just a result of his first run through in the SEC. I am very happy to have Malcolm Johnson back to snuff. We need to get the ball in Jameon and Brandon's hands as much as possible. Tubby or Holloway either one would be awesome on the option with Dak at the helm for a couple of plays. I want to see MORE SCREENS. Remember those screens to Perkins. That. Worked. Every.Single. Time a couple of seasons back? Where did they go?

vCash
    I wanna see dak check in inside the 10 everytime and inside the 20 most of the time. Russell seems to turn the ball over more as the windows get tighter.

vCash
    The wheel route to Perk is a great play too. He is usually open and Tyler can hit hands in stride.

vCash
    I think the most probable difference we'll see is the use of our TEs. I would love to see the TEs utilized more. More two TE sets. Running and passing plays out of those sets. Mixing and matching.

I think that would open up a whole new phase of our offense and allow us to be less predictable.

vCash
    Personally, now that we have some taller more athletic recievers I would be thrilled to see more of a vertical passing game. I believe we finally have some weapons that can stretch the field and I really hope that we put them to use. I am about sick and tired of seeing only 5-10 yard routes. We have a pocket passer, it's about time we start letting him sling the damn ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDawg View Post
    Personally, now that we have some taller more athletic recievers I would be thrilled to see more of a vertical passing game. I believe we finally have some weapons that can stretch the field and I really hope that we put them to use. I am about sick and tired of seeing only 5-10 yard routes. We have a pocket passer, it's about time we start letting him sling the damn ball
    I know our defense over the last few years has made 20 yard routes across the middle look like child's play. So it does make me wonder why we can't do more of that with Johnson &Johnson. BUT - make no mistake. This years season rests with the OL and our run game. If we can stay in 2nd and medium and third and short, then our passing game especially play action has no choice but to get better.

vCash
    The truth is our defense will be better but our offense will be about the same. I've said it till I am blue in the face & will say it again....we are asking too much from our OLmen. These guys are zone blockers who do well in a zone blocking scheme NOT pass blocking! These OL are smaller than I am and in my day I would eat them alive if we ran the offense like we did last year. A bad combination is zone blocking OL & a QB that holds the ball too long. It is a recipe for disaster with out a stretch running game, being able to run toss or running blast through the A or B gap. These OL have done fairly well with the assignments placed on them.

vCash
    we will run much more from a two TE set. With Malcolm he had split out or out his hand down. That makes us very multiple and people won't be able to tell if we're running a power package or a 4-wide package. Our RBs (Perk, Holloway, and JRob) and Malcolm give us a lot of options from a personnel standpoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    The truth is our defense will be better but our offense will be about the same. I've said it till I am blue in the face & will say it again....we are asking too much from our OLmen. These guys are zone blockers who do well in a zone blocking scheme NOT pass blocking! These OL are smaller than I am and in my day I would eat them alive if we ran the offense like we did last year. A bad combination is zone blocking OL & a QB that holds the ball too long. It is a recipe for disaster with out a stretch running game, being able to run toss or running blast through the A or B gap. These OL have done fairly well with the assignments placed on them.
    I asked Mullen what kind of difference our offense would show this fall at the Road Dawgs Tour when they came to Houston. His answer made me believe that we weren't going to see much difference between this year and last. He really sidestepped the question and looked uncomfortable answering it. He finished with some coachspeak on only using 70% of a playbook, blah blah blah.

It's stated that a head coach loses 10% of his fan base every year. I can handle getting beat. I can't handle making the same damn mistakes year after year. If Dan doesn't show much something different this fall on offense, he might lose me.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I asked Mullen what kind of difference our offense would show this fall at the Road Dawgs Tour when they came to Houston. His answer made me believe that we weren't going to see much difference between this year and last. He really sidestepped the question and looked uncomfortable answering it. He finished with some coachspeak on only using 70% of a playbook, blah blah blah.

It's stated that a head coach loses 10% of his fan base every year. I can handle getting beat. I can't handle making the same damn mistakes year after year. If Dan doesn't show much something different this fall on offense, he might lose me.
    I like Tyler. He's a good guy, and he stuck with State when he really didn't have to. But, at the same time, I am biding my time until I see Dak come in full time. I think the offense will run so much smoother when we have a guy who is absolutely in Mullen's wheelhouse running the show. The option, the zone read, all of the things we did so well in 2010. But, I think we will better on offense because our D will be better. We won't have to ask Tyler and Co. to come in and score fifty for us to win or dig us out of a 31pt hole at the half. That was what made 2010 so special . Mullen had a QB he was comfortable with and our D helped us out every chance it got.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    I like Tyler. He's a good guy, and he stuck with State when he really didn't have to. But, at the same time, I am biding my time until I see Dak come in full time. I think the offense will run so much smoother when we have a guy who is absolutely in Mullen's wheelhouse running the show. The option, the zone read, all of the things we did so well in 2010. But, I think we will better on offense because our D will be better. We won't have to ask Tyler and Co. to come in and score fifty for us to win or dig us out of a 31pt hole at the half. That was what made 2010 so special . Mullen had a QB he was comfortable with and our D helped us out every chance it got.
    It's going to be hard to quantify... but if Dak has a great 2014, I'll be happy... but there will be a piece of me that says Dak should've had a big 2013 too.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Tyler lights it up this year... but if we struggle to move the ball against teams like aTm, OM, Aub, and Arkansas... I'll be pretty disappointed. You get a pass on LSU and Bama cause no one moves the ball on them... but the other teams, we should score points on.

vCash
    Welcome to being a Mississippi State fan... Rule #1: The Backup QB is always the best one.

We're going to miss Tyler Russell like hell when he's gone. Our fans truly don't realize what we have right now.

vCash
    Tyler is the best QB in the history if the school. He'd fit better in a Sherrill offense than a Mullen offense. But he is THE passer that every State fan wished we always had. He throws more completions into tight double coverage than most State QBs could complete to open receivers.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Tyler is the best QB in the history if the school. He'd fit better in a Sherrill offense than a Mullen offense. But he is THE passer that every State fan wished we always had. He throws more completions into tight double coverage than most State QBs could complete to open receivers.

Oh, no doubt, TR has a better arm than any QB we've ever had except for maybe Fant, who would--at best--be a tie. Ensconced behind a veteran O line, I think he will have a solid year. I just wonder if we haven't seen maybe all we're going to see out of him, though. Having said that, the only loss last year that I really put on TR's shoulders is the bowl, and some of that blame can be shifted to Mullen. He should have known when Tyler came out struggling that it was time to spell him for a few possessions. Not the whole game, just a couple of possessions.

vCash
    yep Flab. Not to mention he's big and takes a beating without missing reps. He's also a winner. What other MS QB do y'all know that was MS Gatorade player of the year, Parade All America, 4 star recruit, starter for the MS all star team, and snapped the nations longest win streak in overtime to win the 5A state championship?