Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Ron Polk Right?

vCash

Was Ron Polk Right?

Yeah, his massive hissy fit was out of line, but did Polk know something about Cohen's coaching style, ego, and philosophy that led him to think Cohen wasn't a good fit?

Or was it just because he promised the job to Raffo and didn't get his way?

Either way, I thought we were quickly gaining momentum, and the new definition of a down year would be a 3 seed out west. With everything we have to offer as a program and coaching staff, I thought making a regional would be the minimum expectation from here on out. Since Omaha, though, things have come off the track, and I don't understand it. Is it talent, development, leadership, morale? It seems like a perfect storm of everything.

Banned
    vCash
    Pretty sure it was bc of Raffo. Cohen recruited to play small ball and the new bats and balls don't work for the amount of small ball we play. I want Cohen to be the guy but he needs to change philosophy fast.

vCash
    NO, he was not right. Cohen may or may not end up being THE guy long term we need but nobody can convince me that Raffo, had he been allowed to take over, was going to do anything much different than what Polk was doing given Raffo's whole playing and coaching career was under Polk. Also, Polk would have been behind the scenes looking over Raffo's shoulder the whole time anyway which would have been a hindrance. For whatever Cohen's flaws, he has gotten us to the CWS championship round (something Polk never accomplished) and he has greatly elevated the caliber of recruit we are going after. The days of pulling in elite guys because they came to your baseball camp (i.e. the Polk way) are over.
    And just to add, Polk would have had a hissy fit if ANYONE other than Raffo had been given our job. Polk had promised Raffo he would be the next HC even though it wasn't Polk's place to make such a promise.

vCash
    Cohen > Polk.

Love them both, but Cohen has taken us further with less and against a much better SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Cohen > Polk.

Love them both, but Cohen has taken us further with less and against a much better SEC.
    True, if Polk started today at MSU where most everyone in the SEC emphasizes baseball and where the scholarship discrepancies are like they are (i.e. MS doesn't offer state scholarships to help offset the 11.7 limit) then he would never have accomplished anywhere near in his career what he did.

vCash
    I think the new balls have had a bigger impact on us than other teams because of personnel. Pitchers (like Ross) don't seem to be getting the same movement out of the new ball. That coupled with easier home runs has been disastrous for Cohen ball. When you minmax for small ball and the game switches away from small ball, this is what you get.

vCash
    Cohen does some things that make me scratch my head and it is frustrating as hell sometimes. But, his number one priority is winning and winning big. Can't say that about Polk.

And if you want frustration? Watching polk's teams try to get a bunt down in the ninth inning needing one run to tie or win was pretty damn frustrating.
    Last edited by AlSwearengen; 04-20-2015 at 10:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Pretty sure it was bc of Raffo. Cohen recruited to play small ball and the new bats and balls don't work for the amount of small ball we play. I want Cohen to be the guy but he needs to change philosophy fast.
    Cohen wanted to delay the change to new balls for another season. This was a direct quote from a very close friend of mine this time last year. "My whole program is built around these baseballs and it's going to take us 2 years to adjust our philosophy to match the change." I discounted it as a bit of hyperbole at the time, but it is certainly seeming to be true... The guy that told me this is an opposing coach in the sec and had absolutely no reason to bs me about it. Same guy told me the day the class rankings were released that our 2013 class was laughably overrated, which I argued about at length, but he's certainly seeming correct on that front as well. He has no such smack talk about our 2015 class -- just "good luck getting them to campus"...

vCash
    The new Ball and our shitty Adidas Bats have screwed this team. The ball 2 ways--other teams hit it out of the Park and we can't. Also Our pitchers were geared for the higher seems and this ball doesn't move as well. Mistakes in the past were long fly-outs now they are TATERS. Bit Cohen will adjust, he is a winner and He will win. Just not this year. Who is Better? Bite bullet and us our Mantra--"Wait till Next Year"

vCash
    What Hack and Maroonmania said.

Polk had losing SEC records in 6 of his last 9 seasons. His entire legacy was built around us giving a shit about baseball before everybody else did. Once other schools started investing- Polk's career dwindled.

Cohen isn't getting it done this year- it happens. Just better not happen 2 seasons in a row
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Our team this year was built for last year's style of play. These baseballs affected us a lot worse than most because Cohen built this team to take advantage of that style of play. Most of our pitchers are sinker style pitchers. Now the ball doesn't sink so most of our pitchers aren't effective. It isn't like Ross Mitchell forgot how to pitch.

vCash

Yeah but I honestly don't see us being that much better next year. Sure, some guys

will get better and get stronger and offensively we could be better but the pitching staff doensn't have enough power arms and one year prolly won't change that too much. I hope I'm wrong though.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Old saying....broken clock is correct twice per day.

Let's not jump off the boat. Let's rebuild and get better

vCash
    I don't understand, our team is built around small ball, the ball changes but yet we still bunt to play for one run. Why don't we adjust and swing the bat and do more hit and run stuff versus bunting? Good coaches make adjustments on the run, when something isn't working then change. We recruit guys to hit not based on bunting ability I hope, maybe I'm wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Our team this year was built for last year's style of play. These baseballs affected us a lot worse than most because Cohen built this team to take advantage of that style of play. Most of our pitchers are sinker style pitchers. Now the ball doesn't sink so most of our pitchers aren't effective. It isn't like Ross Mitchell forgot how to pitch.
    Yep, when the ball is not moving and sinking like it used to and the ball flies 15-20 feet further than it used to that is a terrible combination for our pitchers. Butch Thompson's philosophy since he's been here is to keep the ball down and pitch to contact. Will Butch be able to adapt to the new baseballs and keep his pitchers effective? May remain to be seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Somewhere lost in this is that somehow other teams were able to adjust and we weren't. I guess we were (one of at least) the only team in the conference built for small ball this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Cohen wanted to delay the change to new balls for another season. This was a direct quote from a very close friend of mine this time last year. "My whole program is built around these baseballs and it's going to take us 2 years to adjust our philosophy to match the change." I discounted it as a bit of hyperbole at the time, but it is certainly seeming to be true... The guy that told me this is an opposing coach in the sec and had absolutely no reason to bs me about it. Same guy told me the day the class rankings were released that our 2013 class was laughably overrated, which I argued about at length, but he's certainly seeming correct on that front as well. He has no such smack talk about our 2015 class -- just "good luck getting them to campus"...
    Speaking of Polk mistakes, not getting that opposing coach you speak of into maroon and white was unexcusable.

vCash
    We are top 10 nationally in k/9ip since the pitching rebuild was complete. This "pitch to contact" thing is a total misnomer.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    This is a damn problem in itself. The meddler actually thinks that the damn ball is an excuse for this shit. A good hitter is a good hitter regardless of the damn ball. It is NOT seeming to be true, it's a lame excuse.

vCash
    There will be no excuses next year
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is