Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stands and this "top of the SEC" BS that keeps getting thrown around on here

vCash

Stands and this "top of the SEC" BS that keeps getting thrown around on here

2006- 5-11 in the SEC...Tied for 9th in the SEC
    2007- 8-8 in the SEC- 3-way tie for 5th in the SEC
    2008- 12-4 in the SEC...tied for 2nd in the SEC
    2009- 9-7 in the SEC...tied for 5th in the SEC
    2010- 9-7 in the SEC...3-way tie for 4th in the SEC
    2011- 9-7 in the SEC...3-way tie for 4th in the SEC
    2012- 8-8 in the SEC...tied for 6th best in the SEC

We were in no way, shape, or form "top of the SEC" Stands' last 7 seasons. We were a middle of the pack SEC basketball team with a shitload of drama
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    But now, we're a back of the pack SEC basketball team..so progress.

ETA: I was ready for Stansbury to go, but I don't see why we can't also say that Ray is pretty bad.

vCash
    Ray is irrelevant in this thread- this is about where our program was before him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Ray is irrelevant in this thread- this is about where our program was before him
    We were relevant during Stans tenure, we are irrelevant now. The rest of this debate is just noise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    We were relevant during Stans tenure, we are irrelevant now. The rest of this debate is just noise.
    That's an embarrassingly simple explanation.

We had a program that embarrassed the entire university under Stans, we don't now.
    We were a joke under Stans, now we are less of a joke.
    We were never again going to be a real factor nationally under Stans, now we at least have the hope of one day getting there again.

Those are also simply explanations that are just as valid as yours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That's an embarrassingly simple explanation.

We had a program that embarrassed the entire university under Stans, we don't now.
    We were a joke under Stans, now we are less of a joke.
    We were never again going to be a real factor nationally under Stans, now we at least have the hope of one day getting there again.

Those are also simply explanations that are just as valid as yours.
    All I know is that if our players got into a fight in the stands now, there would be no one there to break it up.

I didn't give a shit about how the national media perceived us. Screw those guys. The same national media that called King Jackie a slime ball and a cheat? Yeah , they call you names when you are kicking their ass, when you are getting your ass kicked, the media thinks you are just a nice guy.

I want the media to be calling our coach a cheat and slime ball, that means we are probably kicking someone's ass.

vCash
    All I know is that if our players got into a fight in the stands now, there would be no one there to break it up.

I didn't give a shit about how the national media perceived us. Screw those guys. The same national media that called King Jackie a slime ball and a cheat? Yeah , they call you names when you are kicking their ass, when you are getting your ass kicked, the media thinks you are just a nice guy.

I want the media to be calling our coach a cheat and slime ball, that means we are probably kicking someone's ass.
    Well, we also weren't doing that to anybody.

Why is this hard for people to understand? We weren't some kind of big, bad team that also happened to get into some fights. We were a really talented, broken, dysfunctional mess that couldn't go better than 8-9 in the SEC. That also happened to fight ourselves on national TV and embarrass the school.

vCash

Why is this hard for people to understand? We weren't some kind of big, bad team that also happened to get into some fights. We were a really talented, broken, dysfunctional mess that couldn't go better than 8-9 in the SEC. That also happened to fight ourselves on national TV and embarrass the school.
    Why is this^ so hard to see? We weren't a national power during the stans years. I understand we weren't the bottom of the league either. But to listen to some of you we got rid of Adolph rupp. We underachieved we the talent we had in more than 10 of his 14 years. Kudos to to him for getting the talent, that's part of it. But boy did he ever f it up once we got it.

vCash

Four out of five of his last seasons he had a winning SEC record. Hell, he didn't have a losing SEC record since 2006. When 8-8, 9-7, 9-7, 9-7, 12-4 with 21, 19, 24, 23, 23 wins isn't considered kicking ass your last five years, good luck to Rick Ray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Why is this^ so hard to see? We weren't a national power during the stans years. I understand we weren't the bottom of the league either. But to listen to some of you we got rid of Adolph rupp. We underachieved we the talent we had in more than 10 of his 14 years. Kudos to to him for getting the talent, that's part of it. But boy did he ever f it up once we got it.
    I would love for our basketball program to have been as ****ed up the last three years as Stans had it his last three years.

No one is saying Stans was Rupp, but we played relevant basketball games in Feb and March for the last five years he was here. We haven't played a meaningful basketball game in three years.

vCash
    We won 17 his next to last year.

And now we see that it really is Stans supporters, not the people who supported him leaving, that have the lowered expectations.

If being a slightly-above-.500 SEC team is 'kicking a**' then sure, bring Stans back. Just realize we would pretty much be assuring we never did any better than that. Ever again. And again, the program was actually trending downward, so even that was probably going to be expecting too much.

The reason we wanted Stans gone at the end is because we want to ultimately do better than what he offered. If Ray isn't the guy to do it, fine, get rid of him and try somebody else. But trying and failing, which leads to trying again is far better than just accepting that you won't do better.

vCash
    I would love for our basketball program to have been as ****ed up the last three years as Stans had it his last three years.

No one is saying Stans was Rupp, but we played relevant basketball games in Feb and March for the last five years he was here. We haven't played a meaningful basketball game in three years.
    And. that. wasn't. going. to. happen. the. next. year. Even with Stans.

That's my point. Bost was leaving, Moultrie was leaving. We can argue all we want, but Hood was also leaving. The only positive was that Sidney was also leaving.

And the guys on this current team? The guys who can't make shots or score? Those are the same guys who were going to make up that team. As freshmen.

We were going to be terrible in 2012-2013 with or without Stans. We weren't going to be even as good as we had been in Stans' last 3 years. Again, I have no idea why this is so hard for people to understand.

Geezer
    vCash
    Coach couldn't make it a week without starting a new Stansbury thread. Gee, are you obsessed or just crazy? We just got our ass beat by 18 at home by a team who was lackadaisical and you are more worried about this crap. How about talking about how to teach inbounding the basketball, or making free throws, or simply running a set play in the half court offense.

Banned
    vCash

We were in no way, shape, or form "top of the SEC" Stands' last 7 seasons. We were a middle of the pack SEC basketball team with a shitload of drama
    B-b-but 3rd winningest program in the SEC behind KY and Florida! Just don't mention the fact that 8 other SEC programs had a Sweet 16 or beyond appearance during that tenure. Shhhhhh you'll ruin the agenda!

vCash
    We won 17 his next to last year.

And now we see that it really is Stans supporters, not the people who supported him leaving, that have the lowered expectations.

If being a slightly-above-.500 SEC team is 'kicking a**' then sure, bring Stans back. Just realize we would pretty much be assuring we never did any better than that. Ever again. And again, the program was actually trending downward, so even that was probably going to be expecting too much.

The reason we wanted Stans gone at the end is because we want to ultimately do better than what he offered. If Ray isn't the guy to do it, fine, get rid of him and try somebody else. But trying and failing, which leads to trying again is far better than just accepting that you won't do better.
    Sounds great.

Problem is that we are learning what every other SEC school is learning, which is that it's really ****ing hard to be a consistently relevant program in the SEC. Stans made it look easy, which is why we were all frustrated . We took it for granted that our floor was 17-19 wins and 8 SEC wins. We took it for granted that any coach could do that. Well as so many schools are finding out, it's actually really hard to do that.

If the goal was to exceed what Stans had done, fine, then this experiment should be over. Even the most ardent Ray supporter would admit that next years ceiling is maybe a bubble team, and that we take a step back in 16/17.

vCash
    If the goal was to exceed what Stans had done, fine, then this experiment should be over. Even the most ardent Ray supporter would admit that next years ceiling is maybe a bubble team, and that we take a step back in 16/17.
    I'm certainly not sold that 16-17 will definitely be a step back. If we can get James Banks and another impact player in the '16 class, then we'll have way more talent in '16 than we currently have or than we'll have next year. But if next year's team isn't good enough, then it likely won't matter.

If we're on the NCAA Tourney bubble next year and add Hicks, Simonds, Banks, and somebody else, I'm all for keeping Ray and giving him a shot.

And yes, it's hard to become a good program in the SEC.

And yes, we were consistently relevant under Stans, as long as relevant means decent.

But we had become a program whose floor was 8-8 in the SEC and whose ceiling was 9-7 in the SEC...and again, it was trending downward, so that likely wouldn't have even remained the same anymore. We weren't winning 8 SEC games in '12-'13 no matter what.

That's not good enough for me, and I know we can do better. That's all I need to know in order to make a change. That doesn't mean we're doing better with Ray. But I'd even rather be terrible for 4 years with Ray and then reboot and try again than to continue with what we had our last few years under Stans.

vCash

For a long time I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Rose colored glasses. Always shed MSU in positive light. Build the program up. Make a post on a slow day to get traffic up. Have a little fun with some banter.

But I've realized that you sincerely have issues. I mean like legitimate psychological issues. I'm serious. You need professional help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post
    For a long time I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Rose colored glasses. Always shed MSU in positive light. Build the program up. Make a post on a slow day to get traffic up. Have a little fun with some banter.

But I've realized that you sincerely have issues. I mean like legitimate psychological issues. I'm serious. You need professional help.
    DAMN. Pot meet kettle. Yall are some full blown retards about this. Both sides, but to suggest that someone needs pro help over CBB. Absurd.

vCash

There are several thousand people who would disagree with your relevancy assessment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post

I'm sorry the truth bothers you.

I just have to laugh at the University of Stands people like yourself that try to spin some narrative that Stands had us as a top SEC team. We clearly were not his last 7 seasons. No way- no how. That made up legend needs to die