Thread: Quantifying the New Baseballs(early analysis)...

vCash

Quantifying the New Baseballs(early analysis)...

This is SEC stats. Full NCAA stats not yet available. They are skewed because of weaker competition -- but cold weather sends it the other way -- so while these numbers are probably higher than they will finish -- it will begin to give us an idea.

Stat 2015(2014)
    Avg .312(.276)
    RPG 7.81(5.29)
    HPG 10.56(9.28
    2B/G 2.04(1.36)
    3B/G 0.506(0.168
    HR/G 0.823(0.455)
    TB/G 16.08(12.51)
    SLG .474(.372)
    OB .409(.376)
    OPS .883(.748
    k/G 6.2(5.96)
    SacBunt/G 0.595(0.748

Everything is about where it should logically be -- but I found it interesting that in spite of the weaker competition the K numbers are actually up slightly. This seems to tell me that movement on the pitches hasn't suffered as some feared it would -- but instead probably added a little movements to running pitches(2 seam, change, etc) which follows along with the early reports we were hearing on the new balls...

Banned
    vCash
    Are the 2014 stats through the first week of season or season-end stats?

Either way it does make logical sense and looks more like the balance that was needed.

Banned
    vCash
    30 SEC games will tell the tale. We shall see.

20%

vCash
    I think the new balls have helped. I also think the weak competition has had more of an affect on stats than the cold weather has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    I think the new balls have helped. I also think the weak competition has had more of an affect on stats than the cold weather has.
    Yes, but unless our offensive players are night and day better than what we have had in the past few years then the balls are making a significant difference. We have had a LOT of early games in the cold against VERY weak competition under Cohen where we've had trouble scoring more than 3 or 4 runs. So just comparing our past results to current results against like competition says we are either very much improved offensively or the difference in the baseballs is significant. I realize its likely a combination of both.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    We have more talent