Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just made it back....

vCash

I just made it back....

From the game. A few thoughts: Our guys do play hard. We are not a great defensive team (to many boneheaded lapses) but we probably are a little above average. Offensively we are terrible. We basically pass it around the perimeter with one guy posted up and then take a three as the clock runs down. Occasionally somebody will attempt to drive inside but more often than not he Is on his own when he does. Our spacing is poor. We run very few sets to try to get open shots. We don't have a shooter. Our inbounds plays are as bad as I have ever seen on any level. I watched the game for the first time in a long time from my old viewpoint behind one basket. I get a better feel for what we can and can't do from that vantage point. Defensively we are adequate from sheer effort. Offensively Bob Boyd's four corners looked better. I had no idea it was that bad.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 02-20-2015 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    I wasn't impressed with our effort in the second half personally. I thought we got out hustled.

vCash
    A comment about the crowd: Well done students! That crowd was 2/3 students. The student section was packed and a large % of the rest of the place was students. They tried their best to get into the game too. Our offense is just excruciating to watch so that's not easy to do. To my fellow alumni: You ought to be ashamed. We could have won this game. A completely full Hump might have made the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    A comment about the crowd: Well done students! That crowd was 2/3 students. The student section was packed and a large % of the rest of the place was students. They tried their best to get into the game too. Our offense is just excruciating to watch so that's not easy to do. To my fellow alumni: You ought to be ashamed. We could have won this game. A completely full Hump might have made the difference.
    Students were Loud, they made the first half fun.

vCash
    Don't understand - if alumni at the game, we could have won? Do alumni teach offense? You talked for an entire post of how bad our offensive scheme is. That is why I wouldn't waist my time going to a game - have tried it a couple of times over the past 3 years, and our team is just too hard to watch. Not interested.

I think I heard (I cut the game on tv for about 1 minute at the end) the tv announcers say that this is the first time OM has swept us since 1998. If I heard correctly, our previous coach and his staff must have done a pretty good job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdawg View Post
    Don't understand - if alumni at the game, we could have won? Do alumni teach offense? You talked for an entire post of how bad our offensive scheme is. That is why I wouldn't waist my time going to a game - have tried it a couple of times over the past 3 years, and our team is just too hard to watch. Not interested.

I think I heard (I cut the game on tv for about 1 minute at the end) the tv announcers say that this is the first time OM has swept us since 1998. If I heard correctly, our previous coach and his staff must have done a pretty good job.
    Yeah bud. Keep measuring the success of coaching staffs through the lenses of a single rivalry. Just a great way to look at sports overall.

"How'd we do this year? "
    "Well we didn't get swept by OM!"
    "We must have a pretty kick ass team! " ********************
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdawg View Post

I hate what we did to our basketball program and I can't stand to watch our offense but I was at the game. I made the effort this time because it was UM and they hadn't swept us since Richard Williams was Coach. I wanted to do my part tonight as little as it mattered. We hung around through defensive effort alone. Effort feeds off the crowd.

That being said I saw little hope for the future as things stand. The fundamentals and structure of a sound offense just aren't there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Yeah bud. Keep measuring the success of coaching staffs through the lenses of a single rivalry. Just a great way to look at sports overall.

"How'd we do this year? "
    "Well we didn't get swept by OM!"
    "We must have a pretty kick ass team! " ********************

Well maybe so, but not getting swept by UM is always better than being swept by them. I miss the days just a few years ago when they were an afterthought on our basketball schedule. I hope we can get back to that sooner rather than later.

vCash
    Well maybe so, but not getting swept by UM is always better than being swept by them. I miss the days just a few years ago when they were an afterthought on our basketball schedule. I hope we can get back to that sooner rather than later.
    Agreed but bringing up the old coaching staff and painting it in a way that they were marvelous just for not getting swept in a single series is pathetic.

Look, Stansbury did great things for our program during his time. His time is over, and it's time for the fan base to move on. I'm not saying Ray is the answer. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But the bitterness has gotten old and tired and has a negative effect on the program whether people want to admit it or not.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Agreed but bringing up the old coaching staff and painting it in a way that they were marvelous just for not getting swept in a single series is pathetic.

Look, Stansbury did great things for our program during his time. His time is over, and it's time for the fan base to move on. I'm not saying Ray is the answer. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But the bitterness has gotten old and tired and has a negative effect on the program whether people want to admit it or not.
    Whatever man. I didn't bring him up this time. Like it or not UM is our main rival and even when they were an afterthought in basketball those games were always bitter. Nobody was claiming not getting swept by them was some great accomplishment. Beating them doesn't say much about where your program is. Getting swept by them says volumes.

vCash
    My thoughts from tonight:

We are deeper than last year, but that doesn't mean we can lose a key guy like Roq and still win games. That game completely changed when he left. When Gavin came off the floor we had no rebounding ability left. Also, we flat out had no guy that could guard moody. He's talented but not nearly that talented. Chicken was just out manned. I'm 50/50 on whether I want Ray back next year or not. He has to show me something down the stretch to make me want to retain him. I don't know that I've ever left the hump as disappointed as I was tonight. We played hard just couldn't get that one timely stop.

Fire away you guys.

vCash
    Whatever man. I didn't bring him up this time. Like it or not UM is our main rival and even when they were an afterthought in basketball those games were always bitter. Nobody was claiming not getting swept by them was some great accomplishment. Beating them doesn't say much about where your program is. Getting swept by them says volumes.
    I wasn't saying you brought him up this time. I was agreeing with you and expanding upon my thoughts from the post where I responded to mcdawg.

You misunderstood the intent of my post.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    My thoughts from tonight:

We are deeper than last year, but that doesn't mean we can lose a key guy like Roq and still win games. That game completely changed when he left. When Gavin came off the floor we had no rebounding ability left. Also, we flat out had no guy that could guard moody. He's talented but not nearly that talented. Chicken was just out manned. I'm 50/50 on whether I want Ray back next year or not. He has to show me something down the stretch to make me want to retain him. I don't know that I've ever left the hump as disappointed as I was tonight. We played hard just couldn't get that one timely stop.

Fire away you guys.
    My take on Ray has been he needed to get to .500 overall this year for me to want to give him a 4th year. He pretty much had to win tonight to have a chance to do that. That had a lot to do with why I went. Tonight was a critical game for the program. It became even more so with the absolutely huge student turn out. Win that game and I think it could have been the rekindling of the old fire at the Hump.

vCash
    I wasn't saying you brought him up this time. I was agreeing with you and expanding upon my thoughts from the post where I responded to mcdawg.

You misunderstood the intent of my post.

Fair enough but never underestimate the rivalry. If we were playing them in Monopoly I would want to destroy them.

vCash
    Fair enough but never underestimate the rivalry. If we were playing them in Monopoly I would want to destroy them.
    lol no doubt
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Any other major conference school in the nation, Ray would not be back. We are bad, very bad. The enemic offense and inbound sets have been covered. Look at the shooting and athletes, he doesn't recruit well enough. Also I'm questioning his authority with the players. You dont quit playing because you got a graze to the head.

So frustrating to be this bad. Embarrassing.

vCash
    Offensively we are terrible. We basically pass it around the perimeter with one guy posted up and then take a three as the clock runs down. .
    We got zoned most of the night and still only shot 19 3-balls- compared to 29 for Ole Missus

We just dont have alot of skill offensively. We cant shoot very well and teams pack it in and make driving harder on us.

IJ is short so its tough for him to get in the paint and do alot of damage
    People just back off of Bloodman
    Sword has improved his shooting and is solid
    Fred just isnt a good ball handler- so driving for him is rare
    The offense was great last night with Roq in there- we were up 10. Game changed when he went out.
    I agree we need to get it to Ware more- but he has to do a better job of passing out of double teams
    No Houston last night hurt
    Daniels played better- but went back in his shell in the 2nd
    Black and Endo's offensive game has a long way to go. Endo played way more than we needed because of Roq going out

It's like our offense under Mullen with Lee and Relf at QB in 2009- you're just limited in what you can do.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Any pain and our players come out. If a feather hits them, they are hurt and want to come out.

vCash
    yeah-that was very disappointing. The most disappointing thing I saw. No way I let them keep me out of Im Roq. No way
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    yeah-that was very disappointing. The most disappointing thing I saw. No way I let them keep me out of Im Roq. No way
    If its concussion like symptoms, there's no way the trainers let him play.