Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 years of eligibility

vCash

5 years of eligibility

So Scott just tweeted this. What do yall think?

@stricklinMSU: Instead of making freshmen ineligible to play, I?d rather give every athlete five years of eligibility and do away with redshirting.

vCash
    I don't think a lot would change as far as player contribution. Players who would have redshirted before still practically would, they'd just be able to get in on 10-15 garbage time plays their first year. There might be pressure to bump the scholarship limit up some too, which could hurt everyone outside of the traditional powerhouses.
    Last edited by thf24; 02-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I don't think a lot would change. Players who would have redshirted before still practically would, they'd just be able to get in on 10-15 garbage time plays their first year. There might be pressure to bump the scholarship limit up some too, which could hurt everyone outside of the traditional powerhouses.
    I really don't want them to push the scholarships up. Thats how Bama and Ole Miss killed us back in the 50''s and 60's. That's all we need is Bama, LSU, Auburn and other big SEC schools to get more scholarships to take guys away from us. I think the 85 rule has done more to even the playing field than any other thing the NCAA has done.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 02-18-2015 at 09:13 AM.

vCash

While it would be ...

Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post

@stricklinMSU: Instead of making freshmen ineligible to play, I?d rather give every athlete five years of eligibility and do away with redshirting.
    Great for some, it would be a diaster for too many others with the current 85 limit. 25 x 5 years = 125

At the very least 40 would get cut, give up the game or have to transfer.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    For the record, I don't think either is reasonable. If a true freshman is good enough to play, play him. Can you imagine a Jahlil (sp?) Okafor not playing and wasting a year of his life and development?

vCash
    @stricklinMSU: Or, all freshmen are ineligible unless they reach certain HS academic standards. And then they get five years of eligibility as a reward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post

Don't like it but I do wish they would relax the RS rules a little bit. Allow players to play in up to 6 different quarters without losing the ability to redshirt. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of a redshirt year is supposed to be, but it seems like allowing a little bit of playing time wouldn't defeat the purpose and would also make it easier to keep some of the freshmen without the best foundation for college focused during their redshirt year.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Dumb

vCash
    Further proof we have an incompetent running our athletic department.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Further proof we have an incompetent running our athletic department.
    I was wondering if I was the only one shaking my head at this.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    i heard some of these mumblings behind closed doors for a couple years now. i think it is slowly being leaked out in order to get public support and/or feedback before deciding on how best to handle the situation. This is another move by the Power 5 to get what they want. Believe on this: there is going to be some changes to the redshirt/ineligible freshmen rules in the coming 12-18 months.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderclap View Post
    I was wondering if I was the only one shaking my head at this.
    Judging by the rest of the opinions in this thread, I'd say far from it. I hate having an AD that's still learning on the job.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Don't like it but I do wish they would relax the RS rules a little bit. Allow players to play in up to 6 different quarters without losing the ability to redshirt. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of a redshirt year is supposed to be, but it seems like allowing a little bit of playing time wouldn't defeat the purpose and would also make it easier to keep some of the freshmen without the best foundation for college focused during their redshirt year.
    Completely agree. The whole idea of playing a single play destroying your RS year is bogus. Most schools find ways to get around it with the medshirt, but the NCAA has tightened up that loophole, too. I think 6 quarters would be ideal in terms of being able to play but still be eligible for a RS.

As for the purpose of a RS, my theory is that it has 2 purposes. 1) Allow freshmen who aren't physically ready to play the necessary time to develop their bodies without subjecting them to an unnecessary risk of injury and 2) ease the transition from HS to college academically. Let's face it, most of these guys got a ginormous pass academically in HS because football is apparently more important than life itself. They've never had to do shit in school and it's total culture shock that they're actually expected to do things like go to class, write papers, and pass tests.

vCash
    Why is there such strong objection to this? I'd be glad to get rid of deciding whether or not its a good long-term plan to redshirt a player.

I sure wish we could've played Aeris at RB last year without worrying about whether it made him ineligible in 2018 or not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Why is there such strong objection to this? I'd be glad to get rid of deciding whether or not its a good long-term plan to redshirt a player.

I sure wish we could've played Aeris at RB last year without worrying about whether it made him ineligible in 2018 or not
    If I'm reading it right, people are concerned that the 85 man scholarship limit would increase and therefore hurt us. I get that theory but I'm not sure if it's correct because the guys we redshirt count against the 85 currently. The only difference is they would get to play right away and for five years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

It just doesn't make any sense logically. Why would you let everyone play an extra year?

Why stop there? Let's let them play as many years as they want.

Or let's let people play 6 years for a HS team if they want.

The system is not currently broken; I don't get why so many are trying to fix it. I definitely don't get his second tweet - if you don't meet certain standards, you play 3 years, but if you do, you play 5?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It just doesn't make any sense logically. Why would you let everyone play an extra year?

Why stop there? Let's let them play as many years as they want.

Or let's let people play 6 years for a HS team if they want.

The system is not currently broken; I don't get why so many are trying to fix it. I definitely don't get his second tweet - if you don't meet certain standards, you play 3 years, but if you do, you play 5?
    At one point in time they used to not let freshmen play. I wonder if people in sports bars had the same conversation then that we are having now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    At one point in time they used to not let freshmen play. I wonder if people in sports bars had the same conversation then that we are having now?
    There's no logical leap to allow freshmen to play. There is one to suddenly say, 'eh, let's just add an extra year.' There are 4 class years in college; there are not 5.

vCash
    There's no logical leap to allow freshmen to play. There is one to suddenly say, 'eh, let's just add an extra year.' There are 4 class years in college; there are not 5.
    To me it's less logical for the majority of football players to go to school for five years and only be allowed to play four. I would be willing to bet that the average college student goes to school for more than four years. The four classes thing doesn't really mean much. I was classified as a junior by my second year at MSU and was a senior about half the time. And I graduated in four years. If you count professional school I went to college six years all told.

vCash
    Actually, the average time it takes a student to get a degree at MSU and most other colleges is 5 years.

The majority of football players are on the team for 5 years anyway. Why not simplify things and let them play all 5 years? It would cut out the decision process of guessing whether or not it's worth it to play true freshmen