Thread: Has Anyone else seen this yet?

vCash

Has Anyone else seen this yet?

https://www.fanpay.org

It's a GIANT middle finger to the NCAA. I wonder how they're going to deal with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

It's a GIANT middle finger to the NCAA. I wonder how they're going to deal with this.
    Wow. That's pretty ballsy.

vCash
    This could get interesting.

vCash
    Someone is giving Mariota $10 if he stays...

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    well, boys, this may be part of the tipping point that brings down the whole dang NCAA, and i am serious. The NCAA has no actual ability to stop this, especially if they cannot prove the money has been given to the athlete during their time on scholarship. this is going to get interesting. I can see this not becoming "big" until ppl start receiving donations that total over the $1K mark. but that will come VERY FAST. welcome to the beginning of the end of college football.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    I've got about 1 more year of "give a damn" in me regardless... then, I'll start following high school football.

vCash
    I have been wondering about something like this... IMO, this is no different than a player receiving money for his/her likeness. BUT, not actually obtaining the money until post-college.

vCash
    My first reaction is that whoever is behind this is hoping to make good bank on the interest. Good time to capitalize on fan frustration with the NCAA, etc.

"Sure, we'll offer to refund your money if the athlete doesn't graduate, and/or give the amount pledged to the graduates. In the meantime, thank you for the opportunity to earn and keep interest for however many years we hold your money!"

Also, if you carefully read the TOS, they only have to "offer a gift", not money. They say they will return the money pledged, "if the gift is rejected". That says nothing about if the athlete simply doesn't respond. So, they could send out a letter, could even be something they figure will be ignored, like those infamous, "free cruises" we all get hounded with and dismiss out-of-hand. If the athlete doesn't respond at all, FanPay gets to keep the money in the escrow account indefinitely, as far as I can tell.

Seriously, if you look at the terms & conditions, there are many holes in there that allow the owners of that site to profiteer, even keep the money. I'm all for capitalism, but don't like being manipulated. This thing smacks of someone trying to make easy money using OPM, while selling it as something else.

I suspect this is much more about manipulating contributors than it is about sending a message to the NCAA or providing for athletes.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 01-19-2015 at 03:22 PM.

vCash
    I don't doubt that BLB, but it's still an issue that they'll need to face. Also, if this site is doing it, someone else will too... and they'll do it legitimately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

Well get ready for Harvard and Yale to be back at the top...

vCash
    Starting my fanpay site tomorrow.